The Tech Brands You Can Trust

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JonM33

The Tech Brands You Can Trust

Post by JonM33 »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/211074/t ... trust.html

I personally think they could have broadened their survey a bit. They could have suggested operating systems or even hard drives. I can verify that Seagate (once the best) makes absolutely THE worst hard drives on the planet.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: The Tech Brands You Can Trust

Post by kpearsonxyz »

JonM33 wrote:I can verify that Seagate (once the best) makes absolutely THE worst hard drives on the planet.
I take exception to your statement. Personally having been in IT for roughly 20 years, I can attest that Seagate have been one of the worst since I started using hard disks when a very big disk was RLL:30MB.
KpearsonXYZ
Registered Linux User 424918
(15 years on Linux before[/i ]registering)
Only Linux. All Linux. Full-time Linux.
Support Windows under duress, but do it good enough for gov'ment work.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

kpearsonxyz wrote:I take exception to your statement. Personally having been in IT for roughly 20 years, I can attest that Seagate have been one of the worst since I started using hard disks when a very big disk was RLL:30MB.
During their Barracuda IV line they were known for reliability, being one of the only manufacturers to put a 5 year warranty on their products. Since then? The biggest disaster was their 7200.11 line: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/16 ... re_plague/
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

JonM33 wrote:http://www.pcworld.com/article/211074/t ... trust.html

I personally think they could have broadened their survey a bit. They could have suggested operating systems or even hard drives. I can verify that Seagate (once the best) makes absolutely THE worst hard drives on the planet.

I have replaced several Seagates that should have lasted Longer......I really like Western digital they so far for me has been the best and most reliable
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

JonM33 wrote:http://www.pcworld.com/article/211074/t ... trust.html

I have replaced several Seagates that should have lasted Longer......I really like Western digital they so far for me has been the best and most reliable
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

willie42 wrote:I have replaced several Seagates that should have lasted Longer......I really like Western digital they so far for me has been the best and most reliable
I haven't ever bothered trying them since I had a 40GB and 60GB Western Digital die on me so very many years ago. It was before I really started backing up my data on CD (before DVD became popular) and the loss of both drives cost me a lot of data at the time. Once bitten, twice shy.

The fact is that every brand can have failures. No brand is perfect. I myself use Samsung drives only now. I have two 1TB Samsung F1 drives, two 1TB Samsung F2 drives, two 1.5TB Samsung F2 drives and two 2TB Samsung F2 drives.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I have had no issues with Samsung. The two drives I try to shy away from is Maxtor and Seagate.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

As an HP laptop owner, and previously an hp desktop owner I have to vouch for their reliability. I have never had a problem with either one. I can't say anything about their support because I have never needed it.

As for HDD, I have the Samsung 250GB Sata drive and it works great, fast even though it is only 5400rpm.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

tdockery97 wrote:As an HP laptop owner, and previously an hp desktop owner I have to vouch for their reliability. I have never had a problem with either one. I can't say anything about their support because I have never needed it.

As for HDD, I have the Samsung 250GB Sata drive and it works great, fast even though it is only 5400rpm.
I haven't seen major issues with HP. The last company I worked for used only HP for their servers. All their desktops and laptops were Dell though.

The issue I have with HP is their support. It's probably the worst I have ever seen. When I was in the US Air Force (1998-2006) I once called HP for support. I previously had a Dell Optiplex GX270 that I had put a second PCI graphics card in so that I could run dual monitor. I think it was some TNT2. It worked perfectly in the Dell.

They started migrating everything to HP and of course working in the IT department I got an HP before the mass rollouts started. The TNT2 would not work properly with dual monitor in the HP. I used the latest nVIDIA drivers (at the time) and no matter what option I selected, the TNT2 and onboard Intel video wouldn't work together for dual monitor. So I got frustrated and called HP. They bullsh*tted with me on the phone for about 2 hours before giving up and telling me, "If it's not HP, we don't support it."
zacklyke

Post by zacklyke »

I use Hitachi for all my HDD replacements and custom boxes. Decent RMA program with three year coverage should the part actually fail. Naturally I'm recommending them because they typically don't. The only issue is should a drive fail they don't provide any packaging to send the drive to them and (allegedly, though I've never experienced this) can be pests about your selection of packaging if it's not the actual HDD brackets used to ship drives.

Return to “Open Chat”