Mp3 works with stock linux kernel, but not with Liquorix?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mikhou

Mp3 works with stock linux kernel, but not with Liquorix?

Post by mikhou »

I'm really stumped on this one. I am running a dual boot of LMDE and Debian XFCE, and I have both a stock kernel and a Liquorix kernel installed for both. The Debian XFCE Liquorix kernel is my default in Grub2. When I boot into the Liquorix kernel, my system doesn't recognize my mp3 player's USB flash drive, but if I boot into the stock kernel, it is recognized without a problem. Anybody have any ideas as to why this might be occurring?

mikhou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ChromeMukuro

Re: Mp3 works with stock linux kernel, but not with Liquorix

Post by ChromeMukuro »

possibly missing drivers? thank you for noticing though, as i am (apparently) having the same issue! if you leave a note to the Liquorix dev, he will be on the ball soon enough with an update. dude is amazing.
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

i've had problems with the *36 kernel myself ... sticking with the *35 instead for now at least anyway and i am quite satisfied with it
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

It apparently makes no difference whether the .35 or .36 kernel is installed. I just noticed the same thing, and I tried booting from both the .36 and .35, and it makes no difference on my machine. With the .36 kernel, I did get a halfway mount, meaning my Fuze and the SD card in it showed up in Nautilus, but they couldn't be accessed. That only happened one time, though, and every other time they just don't show up anywhere. I don't often connect my mp3 player so I hadn't noticed this before, and I'm not that worried about it now, but it would be a problem long-term.

Edit: It does show up via lsusb, but I haven't been successful in mounting it. More googling is obviously needed.

Edit2: :facepalm: The player has to be in MSC mode. My fuze was in autodetect, which didn't seem to work. Manually setting it to MSC resulted in an immediate mount of both the player and the microSD card.
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

sgosnell wrote:It apparently makes no difference whether the .35 or .36 kernel is installed. I just noticed the same thing, and I tried booting from both the .36 and .35, and it makes no difference on my machine. With the .36 kernel, I did get a halfway mount, meaning my Fuze and the SD card in it showed up in Nautilus, but they couldn't be accessed. That only happened one time, though, and every other time they just don't show up anywhere. I don't often connect my mp3 player so I hadn't noticed this before, and I'm not that worried about it now, but it would be a problem long-term.

Edit: It does show up via lsusb, but I haven't been successful in mounting it. More googling is obviously needed.

Edit2: :facepalm: The player has to be in MSC mode. My fuze was in autodetect, which didn't seem to work. Manually setting it to MSC resulted in an immediate mount of both the player and the microSD card.
glad to hear you figured it out
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Assumptions can be dangerous. I was assuming the player was still in MSC mode, but apparently that got reset when I installed Rockbox, and I hadn't checked it. I had to boot to the original Sansa OS, then go to settings and reset it to MSC. MTP won't work in Linux, AFAIK, and the autodetect mode doesn't seem to work correctly, at least it didn't this time. Moral of the story: if your mp3 player won't mount in Linux, make sure it's set to MSC mode.
ChromeMukuro

Post by ChromeMukuro »

for the uninitiated, what is MSC mode?
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Mass Storage Class. Let me google that for you, so you can get a better understanding.
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

2 things:

1. I don't see a way to force my knockoff mp3 player into MSC mode.
2. Does this really matter since, the stock kernel sees the USB drive? I would think that it's already in MSC mode since the stock kernel is mounting it properly.

Thoughts?

mikhou
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

If it mounts as a USB drive, it's already in MSC mode. Some players are set to one mode or another and have no provisions for changing it. If it works, don't worry about it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”