What would u put on this machine?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

What would u put on this machine?

Post by jokersloose »

1.8 GHz
512 ram
20 gig harddrive (looking for a bigger one)

Want to put a program that says it needs 80mg free hard drive space 32 meg of ram and maybe 3 to 4 gig of mp3's. And possibility warzone 2100 and pysol for games.

James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: What would u put on this machine?

Post by seeley »

Hi!
You need a distribution which does not need much resources (not KDE), I would try a live CD with Mint10 and if there are problems a live CD Mint9 LXDE.
seeley
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I'd consider any Linux distrobutuon (with a bias towards mint) that has a lightweight desktop environment like LXDE, XFCE, Fluxbox, Openbox
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi!
Last year I tried some distributions on an old desktop computer like Mandriva, Fedora and Xubuntu (XFce, LXDE,...); after testing I installed Mandriva because it seamed to be the best one (MUD LXDE), but there could be problems with the support (the Mandriva Community was starting a new project, called Mageia).
lauren
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

Well donwloaded the LXDE of Mint 9 going to try it on there. Only real issues I"m going to have is no net connection on that machine and no way to get one LOL '

Always making things hard me is LOL

James
jesica

Post by jesica »

Linux Mint 9 LXDE
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Try Bodhi with the Enlightenment desktop. It's a minimal Ubuntu based on 10.04 and you add your custom applications as you see fit. It is in the Alpha stage but from my experiences, fairly stable.
http://www.bodhilinux.com/
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Please, I run the full version on my 1.5Ghz Acer laptop, and it runs fine. That is by no means "slow".
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
bobpegram
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobpegram »

With only 32MB of RAM, I would use Damn Small Linux. I had it on an old laptop with 64MB of RAM and I was running Firefox and had 32MB that wasn't being used.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

A cup of coffee.

Sounds like it'd make a better coaster than a computer, lol. I'm just messing around. In a silly mood all of a sudden. :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The 32MB is the requirement of a program, not the computer's RAM, that is 512.
I would not install KDE on this machine, the other Mint flavours will run fine on it though Gnome 64-bit may have a little lack of RAM when running heavy programs.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”