What are you running at home?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Your main OS is currently:

Poll ended at Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:44 pm

Bianca BETA 014
37%
Bea
28%
Barbara
7%
Ada
No votes
Another distribution
14%
Another distribution
14%

Total votes: 43

pjm60it
Level 1
Level 1

mint community rocks Clem your brilliant thanks for shareing

Post by pjm60it »

I started with Bea. every beta since. Now Celena and not one issue that I could not sort out with the forum.
my acer aspire 5601 AWLMI had windows Xp on it for five minutes and it has performed flawlessly ever since Bea. I sync a palm TE2 with jpilot, hp psc1510 printer, hp photosmart M527 and no problems except the built in card reader wont automount, yet.. :roll:
Thanks a bunch every-one :D
jcoleman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jcoleman »

I have a laptop at home running XP & Cassandra - my wife prefers Cassandra
It has been stable and does everything we need, listen to the radio, music, surf the internet, etc - not intensely used but no complaints
At work I use a laptop dual booting XP and Cassandra - 99+% of the time I use Cassandra on a Windows 2000 server domain with most computers running XP - again most of the time it plays nicely on the network - very stable. I can remote into everything with VNC.
(Even Evolution does fairly well connecting to the Exchange Server - a few things I have to avoid doing - otherwise I lose the connection and need to reload Evolution)
The desktop at home is still running XP - mostly because I haven't had time to mess with it and it basically just stores things (pics, some music, etc) - and I don't use it that much - someday
FYI - I just received some new laptops for work with Vista installed - brought one home this weekend to play with - at this point I'm NOT impressed at all. Vista will go away and XP loaded for the teachers receiving. It loads slow and I couldn't get it to join the domain at work - hmmmm.
thanks again - all
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Hello,
I'm now running Cassandra Gnome, Celena, and Windows XP for the Mustek 600 scanner (Can't get my scanner to work with any Linux distribution).

Greetings,
Blogger
Jives
Level 1
Level 1

My gear

Post by Jives »

On my main box (2.4GHz P4/Radeon X1600/22" LCD Widescreen) there is Cassandra, and XP for games. On my laptop (3GHz P4/GeForce Go5100) there is Cassandra, and its smooth as a baby's ass with Beryl and all. I really love that little machine as long as I don't have to lug it around. :P

On my secondary box (1.3Ghz Celeron/GeForce 7600) there is Ubuntu. Works like a charm. On my girlfriend's laptop (1.5 GHz Celeron/Radeon M6) there is also Ubuntu. Truth to be told I haven't bothered to get 3D accel working on her machine, she doesn't care for looks anyway, but freaks out if something doesn't work or is too complicated. So Ubuntu is really the only option.

On the server it's Xubuntu. Why not server ed.? Because I couldn't manage to get a decent WM to install on the server ed., and I need GTK for some apps.

I have used about every computing platform available between 1986 and now. IMHO the best platform at ATM are the OS-X Tiger Macs. Of Linuxes I have used most of the larger GNOME-based distros (and quite a few smaller ones) - I really prefer GNOME although it's a tad slow. I have to say that these days Ubuntu is the standard against which all other distros should be measured. Linux Mint seems to be forking away from Ubuntu ATM, and if it continues in the direction laid out by the new betas, it will require it's own repos in a couple of versions. That'll quadruple the workload on the crew, and I'm not going to rely too much on Mint until I see where this path leads.
Toontwnca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Toontwnca »

Switched to Cassandra XFCE.
Very nice.
It doesn't matter if a glass is half empty or half full.
There is clearly room for more wine.

Notebook: Asus K53U 1.6 gz, 4gb ram, 500 gb hd, AMD 6310 Radeon
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

100% Celena wireless on an R51 Thinkpad! This is the sweetest linux experience i have EVER HAD! in my short term experience with Linux.
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

I run Fedora 7 on my main box, and Debian Etch on all other desktop...

I plan to dual boot Mandriva 2008 when it comes out, with my Fedora 7 on my main box... Looks interesting...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am running a very modified version of Cassandra.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”