Can grub 1 load lxde ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jadaro
Level 1
Level 1

Can grub 1 load lxde ?

Post by jadaro »

Can I continue to use grub 1 and load the newer versions of LXDE? I have multiple distos using grub 1 and would like to continue using it. If so how would I configure grub 1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inktitan

Re: Can grub 1 load lxde ?

Post by inktitan »

You can download and burn Parted Magic. It has both Super Grub Disk one and two. So if you come across any problems you can boot to that disk and select the extra tools from the menu. Find the grub you need and then log into any OS you have installed. I'm sorry it doesn't answer your question. But maybe it is helpful.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... artedmagic

Also something that might interest you.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux ... 2/?ca=drs-
ShexNivis

Post by ShexNivis »

I believe you meant LMDE.
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi jadaro!
Sometimes I had 6 operating systems on my hard disk, it plays no role if you use Grub legacy (Grub 0.97) [as you mean Grub 1?) or GRUB"2" (GRUB 1.98).
You should post some details - Windows installed first? And then? Afterwards?
lauren
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Given the forum you posted this in, I am assuming you mean LMDE not LXDE.

If you install any Grub2 based os on an existing system where you want Legacy Grub to still control the MBR, do this:

- During install of Grub2 os, LMDE in this case, select option to install grub in root partition NOT mbr;

- when you reboot - go into os you want that still has legacy grub in mbr;

- edit legacy grub's /boot/grub/menu.lst file with something like the following entry
title Linuxmint Debian (LMDE)
root (hd0,4) <----- or wherever your LMDE is installed - use old counting system
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
savedefault
boot

This will link to your LMDE partition and will run your Grub2 options from there. You load two grub menus this way but it works fine.

Remember though, issuing "sudo update-grub" only updates Grub2 entries in LMDE; it does not affect MBR legacy grub.

Hope this helps,
rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

jadaro wrote:Can I continue to use grub 1 and load the newer versions of LXDE? I have multiple distos using grub 1 and would like to continue using it. If so how would I configure grub 1?
The short answer is YES

I am using Grub legacy to multi boot all types of OSes with a mix of various loader ( Lilo, Grub1, Grub2)

Return to “LMDE Archive”