Linux Mint 10 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Elisa

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by Elisa »

IMonarch wrote:...Found it a bit better than the Kubuntu myself.
Always if you put down so signifcant opinions, IMHO it's worth to type also the arguments, why do u thinks it' "better"? :wink:
BrOiler1985

Post by BrOiler1985 »

IMonarch wrote:Anyone running OpenSUSE 11.3? Found it a bit better than the Kubuntu myself.
Tried it (the first time I ran OpenSUSE at all) but disliked it :)
rbpyogesh

Post by rbpyogesh »

Now we are into December...Two months after the release of Kubutu...And just 4 months short of a new Kubuntu...

Are the developers planning to skip 10.10 all together..??

Will there be an official update to KDE 4.5 Atleast for LM 9..??
sylvainsjc

Post by sylvainsjc »

LMDE KDE would satisfy me perfectly :mrgreen:

Please Clem :wink:
TheMonster0

Post by TheMonster0 »

Here is a Linux Mint user who always start getting anxious for the new edition. I use KDE on my desktop, and XFCE or LXDE (depending on my mood) on my netbook. I find that Kubuntu is so crappy, but Linux Mint KDE is so elegant and easy to use. I think the guys who are working on Kubuntu should really look at Linux Mint, to actually see how it should be done.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

TheMonster0 wrote:...I find that Kubuntu is so crappy...
Maybe it is so crappy as your significant, no arguments opinion :roll:
As for Mint, I can agree Mint 9 is cool, gnome, as well as KDE version. Although I'd do suggest to pass to Mint 9 also the latest kernel :wink:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'm using Kubuntu 10.10 right now (got impatient about waiting for mint 10 kde) and been running it for about a month and it is far from crappy...
In fact, it is very nice...runs smooth...tremendous improvements on the kpackagekit software manager...and it is very stable and polished..in fact, probably the first Kubuntu i ever checked out that had a very polished feel about it...I'm loving it!...will be hard for boo to improve that significantly over it since it is already quite good...of course, the mint version has it's extra little "touches".... :)

I would like to see a Mint Debian KDE though...if it is really nice it might tempt me to switch... :wink:
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

craig10x wrote:I'm using Kubuntu 10.10 right now (got impatient about waiting for mint 10 kde) and been running it for about a month and it is far from crappy...
In fact, it is very nice...runs smooth...tremendous improvements on the kpackagekit software manager...and it is very stable and polished..in fact, probably the first Kubuntu i ever checked out that had a very polished feel about it...I'm loving it!...will be hard for boo to improve that significantly over it since it is already quite good...of course, the mint version has it's extra little "touches".... :)

I would like to see a Mint Debian KDE though...if it is really nice it might tempt me to switch... :wink:
Actually that's good news since Boo won't have to spend an inordinate amount of time fixing bugs and trouble areas that have often been seen with past Kubuntu releases. Since he's the only developer the less he has to fix the better. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
colyn

Post by colyn »

rbpyogesh wrote:Now we are into December...Two months after the release of Kubutu...And just 4 months short of a new Kubuntu...

Are the developers planning to skip 10.10 all together..??

Will there be an official update to KDE 4.5 Atleast for LM 9..??
Mint does not follow the 6 month release to the day like Kubuntu. Mint prefers to polish it a bit more than Kubuntu before releasing it.

I suspect Mint 10 KDE RC will be out soon.
colyn

Post by colyn »

Elisa wrote: Although I'd do suggest to pass to Mint 9 also the latest kernel :wink:
Why?

I am running Mint 9 KDE with the latest kernel upgrade as well as KDE 4.5.3. I have had no problems whatsoever.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Yep kmb42vt....should be almost a piece of cake for boo this time around....I've checked out live cds of Kubuntu before but this was the first time i actually said...yeah install it!...really made quite a positive impression....If i didn't already have things so nicely set up on it, i'd probably still be tempted to go with mint 10 kde when it comes out...though i am quite satisfied with the way Kubuntu is working for me... :)

Perhaps a debian version might get me moving though :mrgreen:
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

colyn wrote:
Elisa wrote: Although I'd do suggest to pass to Mint 9 also the latest kernel :wink:
Why?
I am running Mint 9 KDE with the latest kernel upgrade as well as KDE 4.5.3. I have had no problems whatsoever.
For a better and wider support of some older graph. cards... :D
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

colyn wrote:
Why?

When I updated Kubuntu it pretty much broke my system. I'm using an HP dv6000 series laptop. I'm not sure what happened. I would see the Kubuntu loading screen, which didn't look right. It was like only two colors, with blocky font. I couldn't get any further than that. Anyone got any idea why this would have happened?
canci

Post by canci »

Hi all,

I personally couldn't wait for the new KDE Mint any longer and went ahead and installed KDE manually
on my Linux Mint 10. I was a little dissatisfied with how it looked and made my own theme proposal:

The idea was to mimic the theme of Linux Mint 10 as much as possible, while keeping it blue.

More info here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 41&start=0

opticyclic

Post by opticyclic »

IMonarch wrote:Anyone running OpenSUSE 11.3? Found it a bit better than the Kubuntu myself.
I decided to go for a KDE distro after using the Gnome edition since Mint 6 as I wanted a flashier desktop (even just a gradient taskbar was difficult with Gnome!)
Anyway, I went with openSuse 11.3 as I felt that it had the best partition manager for LVM and encryption.
I had to install the Droid fonts to make it look a bit nicer but have been quite pleased with it.

I was able to install Oracle Express with only a slight hiccup (RTFM and the docs on openSuse site!) and my Java development works fine.
I used to have problems with Compiz and Java so the KDE Effects working alongside nicely is a big plus.

Sound with Skype didn't work out of the box, but again the docs on the openSuse site came to the rescue on how to configure the sound properly.

So far the only thing I miss is the mintMenu, although the KDE kicker does come a close second.

I think the mint KDE edition will have to be something special to make me switch back, based on the comparisons of openSuse and Kubuntu that I have read.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

i emailed boo and asked him what the status of linux mint 10 kde was and when you think the rc will be released and boo replied back mid december, fingers crossed.
Char

Post by Char »

cpatrick08 wrote:i emailed boo and asked him what the status of linux mint 10 kde was and when you think the rc will be released and boo replied back mid december, fingers crossed.
That's what I call good news. FIngers crossed. Maybe next week we gonna get something =D
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

cpatrick08 wrote:i emailed boo and asked him what the status of linux mint 10 kde was and when you think the rc will be released and boo replied back mid december, fingers crossed.
Very cool! There's no one that enjoys a new release of my favorite OS more than I. That said, I want to encourage everyone to be patient with Boo, as this no small task. Also to note is that LM 9 KDE was just released a mere four months ago. But I can hardly wait either. :)

Joe
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

JoeFootball wrote:
Very cool! There's no one that enjoys a new release of my favorite OS more than I. That said, I want to encourage everyone to be patient with Boo, as this no small task. Also to note is that LM 9 KDE was just released a mere four months ago. But I can hardly wait either. :)

Joe
Absolutely. Boo's a one man show and we go through this same thing every 6 months. I have a partition setup with LM10 KDE written on each of them but LM10 KDE will be ready when it's ready and I'm fine with that. One single developer can only do so much so fast.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
jason46

Post by jason46 »

Why not try install KDE on LM10? I've been running KDE on Natty Narwhal.

Return to “Software & Applications”