Internet Explorer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jpervect

Internet Explorer

Post by jpervect »

I am trying to get internet explorer to run on wine or with winetricks so that I can try to work around Comcast's movie player restrictions to window$ or Mac. Any advice? Using Mint 9, Wine 1.3 on an Acer 5315 notebook (1GB RAM, 120 GB HD).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgosnell

Re: Internet Explorer

Post by sgosnell »

I don't use Comcast, so I don't know exactly how they work, but have you tried the User Agent plugin for Firefox? You can have it spoof either Windows or Mac OS. I've successfully used it on several sites that require Mac or Windows.
jpervect

Post by jpervect »

No, I haven't. I didn't know about it. I am a complete newbie with Linux. I will give it a try and post my results. Thanks anyway, no matter the outcome.
jpervect

Post by jpervect »

okay. I found the User Agent and installed it. I went to the comcast website and it asked me to install their player. I downloaded the file and now I can't find it to run it. It says it is in the downloads folder, but there is nothing there. Two questions: How do I find it? How do I install it using Wine?
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I don't know how to find it. I don't know how your system is set up. To install it with wine, either navigate to it with Nautilus, right-click on it and select "Open with wine", or navigate to that folder in a terminal, and enter "wine filename", where filename is the name of the file. Either should do the job. You may have to download it by right-clicking on the file in Firefox and selecting Save File As, although it should download to the folder you have told Firefox to use for downloads. If the filename is preceded by a '.' for some reason, it will be hidden, and you can press Ctrl-h in Nautilus to show hidden files.
piquat

Post by piquat »

If you downloaded it with firefox and you still have the downloads window open, you can right click on the entry for the download and choose "open location" or whatever the exact wording is. On my system it opens the folder in Nautilus containing the saved file.

Had to use this just yesterday when it decides to put something in /tmp instead of downloads when everything else was going to ~/Downloads. It did that all by itself so seeing you with a file you can't find doesn't seem out of place.

Tools>Downloads in Firefox to open the window.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

If you choose "Open with" at the start of the download, the file goes to /tmp. It only goes to your download folder if you choose "Save file", or if you don't get a choice. If you do get a choice, save the file and open it in wine separately, after the download finishes.
jpervect

Post by jpervect »

UPDATE: I have the file where I can find it, now I have to figure out how to get Firefox to install it as a plugin or addon. Even using User Agent on any of the IE settings (6,7,8), it won't run the player. Please help!!

P.S. I have sent an email to the company tech support asking if/when they are going to support Linux. Haven't got an answer yet. Will keep everyone posted on that. I am sure that I am not the only Linux user that has to deal with Comcast and Xfinity.

Return to “Software & Applications”