dell 1505 install trouble

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

dell 1505 install trouble

Post by ti479 »

this particular error keeps appearing on most installations that are based or conneted to ubuntu. i would really like to use mint but i am a newbie and i am begining to wonder why i would want to . can anyone please help me? i would really appreciate the help.

Edit by husse// It seems that we are missing at least one post in the beginning of this topic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

ti479
Level 1
Level 1

dell 1505

Post by ti479 »

i would try the solution provided in the wiki-- except that i dont get far enought in the installation to open a terminal.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Now I'm at a loss. Are you trying to install? Does this error make an install impossible?
That would surprise me. If you haven't installed you should install and then fix bcm43xxx - by following the advice in the wiki for the Linux driver. I think it generally works OK now
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

dell 1505 install

Post by ti479 »

Thank you Dave, you have hit it on the head. can i get an amen here.

i have found that older editions of Ubuntu will load (however they do not work

with my wireless out of the box) with little trouble. i am not sure what Mepis

is based on but 6.5 loaded easily and no wifi problems! i would prefer to

have mint linux but this is getting impossible.

anyway thanks Dave.

scott
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is new to me, I'll have to come back to you when I have more time.
However I believe that the not_starting_x_problem could be somehting with the driver
jammadave you seem to know a bit Linux - could you try to boot with the vesa driver, a description here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
Oh - and welcome
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have a new work schedule so I have little time left for Mint in some weeks, but I'll take a look at this tomorrow friday
Remember we're all unpaid volunteers (except Clem and he can't live off Mint either)
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

Is the 1505 the same as 6400/1505 ?

If so try this:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install ... -wifi.html

Installing Feisty On 6400/1505 With Script
Initial Install and Preparation
Download the Ubuntu Desktop Live CD from Here: Download ISO Here. Burn the ISO to CD and boot.
After booting into the CD X won’t start. Hit Enter to say OK to the error messages and get back to the black screen. You may need to switch to ALT-F4. Do the following, one at a time, to get X working:
wget http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/files/ati
sudo chmod +x ati
./ati
You’ll see X start and you are now running the Live CD in your native resolution!
Double click the Install icon and configure your install how you like it.
After your system finishes installing it will prompt you before rebooting, ensure you have a network cable connected, and when it boots into the new system you’ll see an error about X. Use your arrows to select NO, hit ENTER and then OK to get to the black login screen. You’ll see an error regarding BCM43xx appearing, ignore it and type as if it wasn’t there. The command line can’t “read” that error so don’t try to backspace over it, etc. Login using your username and password.
Download the script
wget http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/files/dellinstall
Make it executable and run it:
sudo chmod +x dellinstall
./dellinstall
Sit back and relax for a moment until you hear your system BEEP at reboots.
After the system reboots X still won’t start, login to the black login screen (X still errors out), go into the install (cd install) directory and again type the same script command:
./dellinstall
When it is finished the system will BEEP, reboot, and you can now use it!
Your system will reboot automatically and after it comes up you’ll have X. To login to Beryl, before you login select the GNOME with XGL session from the Options>Sessions menu in the bottom left corner.

If not ignore this post :)

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

I assume they do???, can you not get non-wireless network working?

The link:http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/files/ati

contains the script:
#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
sudo aticonfig --initial
sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv
startx

Would anybody like to explain how to load script without network please?

Can they be "loaded" off CD??

(am on Debian box at moment)

Nick

Ps
Just seen codesplice come up with possible answer
ypsilon
Level 1
Level 1

Possible alternative solution: temporarily wifi working

Post by ypsilon »

I don't have a dell laptop, but I do have a bcm43 based wifi card. Before I switched to Mint, I used to try a lot of distro's. Most distro's weren't able to have wifi working out-of-the-box. Sometimes I didn't even get into a graphical environment and was left with the bcm43xx missing microcode error a the command line. For some reason (don't know why) this recurring error prevents X from starting.

I have found a workaround that helps me around this problem. The "microcode error" indicates missing firmware. This you can extract using the package bcm43xx-fwcutter. Unfortunately this is never included in a live-cd, so he we get to the tricky part: you need once a working internet connection (some other computer, your work or even booting into ... no we don't need that).
Download the package from http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/utils ... x-fwcutter
I never had problems with the dependencies mentioned here.
You also need a driver file to extract firmware from. This one always works for me: wl_apsta.o (for example from http://svit.epfl.ch/stuff/wl_apsta.o )
Save both files to a usb stick (or disk ...).

Boot into you live-cd and on the command line you install this package.
Go to the location of the two files and type (just type through if the microcode error occurs, it doesn't influence your input):

Code: Select all

dpkg -i bcm43xx-fwcutter_006-1_i386.deb 

(can't exactly remember whether or not to include the entire filename or only the generic package name, so if this doesn't work remove _006-1_i386.deb )
After installing this package, you will have to extract firmware to /lib/firmware using

bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta.o 
It's my experience you don't have to reboot to make this work (that would make this solution useless). Configure your wireless by hand using command line (commands iwconfig and dhclient work for me).
In my situation I can start X (by just typing X), but for you this would be the starting point to follow the above post to fix your video.
Hope this helps for you
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you have the USB flash drive connected at boot I believe it will get automounted in the live CD
The bcm43xxx is a bit odd as it has "firmware" that is loaded at boot time. It should be enough to blacklist the module at boot - come to think of it this could be something for coming versions (I think we have code lock for Celena)
You can't blacklist a module in a live CD.....
But wasn't the problem that booting was impossible?
Husse

Post by Husse »

One thing that could be done is to blacklist the bcm43xx
If you could change /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to include the line

blacklist bcm43xx
you'd be done.
This means editing the live CD - quite an effort
Unpack>edit>repack
Half an essay...
and you'll have to find a suitable program to unpack the squashfs file

Edit september 23
There is a program called ISO Master in the software portal that I thought could be used, but it does not seem so
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

x config

Post by ti479 »

Thank you Nick,

As Dave said, neither of us can get to a network connection in the install process.any other suggestions?
Husse

Post by Husse »

To clarify
Can you use the live CD and the failure is in the install
or is the failure in the boot of the live CD
it's a bit ambigous
and please bear with me - I have - to put it mildly - more than one question to answer in the forum :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

jammadave there's no problem - I like this forum - much :)
The advice is to disable broadcom at boot and take care of that in the installed version.
Then you could blacklist the driver and use ndiwrapper with windows drivers.
I must remind you that this amount of problems is not normal, and they mostly happen when you install.....
Now I hope that an install in "Safe graphics mode" does it
To be really safe - press F3 at boot and select a really low resolution - the widescreen resolutions of some new laptops makes X go bananas
Husse

Post by Husse »

Husse wrote:
disable broadcom at boot

I did that in the BIOS. Still get an X failure.
Yes - it's totally unrealated :)
You have two problems and x is the second
Blacklisting first when you have installed.....
so you don't have to first disable and then enable your broadcom :)
You press F3 as soon as you see the Mint splash
I wish you luck

Return to “Installation & Boot”