486 kernel installed as an update!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
viking777

486 kernel installed as an update!

Post by viking777 »

Just updated lmde this morning (mostly nvidia stuff) and it pulled in and installed a -486 kernel as a dependency! (the same kernel version as the existing kernel, just the different architecture).

I tested both the -486 and the original (and correct) -686 kernel and both worked normally so I decided to remove the -486 version, but synaptic wouldn't remove it without removing the -686 kernel image, which didn't seem like a good idea.

I then attacked it with aptitude instead of apt and this removed it without any bother and everything works OK.

Not exactly a problem or a bug, but a strange piece of behaviour none the less, so something to look out for if you have nvidia graphics.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zole052

Re: 486 kernel installed as an update!

Post by zole052 »

The same thing happened to me, now i have both kernels.

viking777 do you have any problem after removing the -486 kernel?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

zole052 wrote:The same thing happened to me, now i have both kernels.

viking777 do you have any problem after removing the -486 kernel?
None at all.
dinger136

Post by dinger136 »

I am not sure which was initially installed, but I have both .486 and .686. Every time I update, grub adds a line for the new .686 update. However, if I do not select .486 my nvidia drivers fail. Any ideas on how to fix or why both are present to begin with?

I would just reinstall and start over, but I am out of town for several months and have a bunch of games installed through wine which I couldn't get back up. Doesn't cause problems, and I just adjust Grub, it just bothers me.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

dinger136 wrote: However, if I do not select .486 my nvidia drivers fail.
Probably because you have no kernel module compiled for the 686 kernel.

Return to “LMDE Archive”