Jupiter OS; DEBIAN ROLLING....

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
michael.conner

Re: Jupiter OS; DEBIAN ROLLING....

Post by michael.conner »

vrkalak wrote: What makes Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) special are the Mint specific applications and tools ... check the package list for the Mint repositories.
Otherwise, just go with a straight Debian 'testing' . . . that's what I did.
I did an install of Aptosid XFCE yesterday, changed the repos to Squeeze, downgraded to the Squeeze kernel, upgraded packages, installed Gnome, removed XFCE and all the Aptosid stuff, then added security.debian.org, Debian-Multimedia and Linux Mint repos (including romeo to get the new Julia MintMenu), then Mint-i-fied it. Re-added Sid to the sources.list, but apt-pinned it so Squeeze was preferred. Kind of a backwards way of doing things, but I like breaking and then fixing things.

Not that there was any breakage at all! Smooth as silk and far fewer updates than with a vanilla LMDE install.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I did the same thing with aptosid 64bit XFCE. Except my option was Mint 9 XFCE Tools. That brought in ubuntu stuff.. Fun? yes. Ready to do on a production PC? Not yet. I wish there was LMDE 64.
-Hinto
Wrinkly

Post by Wrinkly »

azathoth wrote:The Linux community could certainly use some solidarity! (it's probably all part of m$'s evil plan to keep the Linux communities fragmented. :shock: )
Can't they just run defrag ???
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Wrinkly wrote:
azathoth wrote:The Linux community could certainly use some solidarity! (it's probably all part of m$'s evil plan to keep the Linux communities fragmented. :shock: )
:lol: ROFL :lol:
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

fragmentation is something they do very well! :mrgreen:
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

_khAttAm_ wrote:About Jupitor OS, if it serves in getting a few Windows or Mac users to use Linux (in other words, increasing the Linux user base), it cannot be bad.
It can be bad if it makes excessive efforts to mimic the Windows or OSX ways of doing things beyond where those two OSs actually excel. If a Linux "convert" doesn't actually experience anything significantly different from Windows for the majority of the time then when something goes wrong and they need to get down and dirty they'll be so far outside of their comfort zone that they'll run back to Windows because they know for certain that Windows acts like Windows 100% of the time and not just when its working fine. We don't want distros that copy another OS's flaws otherwise those users gain nothing from switching. I am not saying that Jupiter OS does this (I obviously haven't used it), but it is a danger that every Linux distro which tries to "convert" Windows and OSX users faces and it should be kept in mind.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Wrinkly wrote:
With linux, there's no need to defrag ;)
-Hinto
Wrinkly

Post by Wrinkly »

randomizer wrote:If a Linux "convert" doesn't actually experience anything significantly different from Windows for the majority of the time then when something goes wrong and they need to get down and dirty they'll be so far outside of their comfort zone that they'll run back to Windows because they know for certain that Windows acts like Windows 100% of the time and not just when its working fine. We don't want distros that copy another OS's flaws otherwise those users gain nothing from switching. I am not saying that Jupiter OS does this (I obviously haven't used it), but it is a danger that every Linux distro which tries to "convert" Windows and OSX users faces and it should be kept in mind.
Well, I'm certainly a Linux convert. And, when something goes wrong or I don't understand, I have the reassurance, help & guidance (and patience!) of the generous people on the forums. The experience has actually made me a better person, determined to learn more about Linux so that one day I can return the favour and solve somebody else's problem. So there's absolutely no chance that I'll run back to Windows.

I agree that any Linux distro, be it Mint, Ubuntu or whatever, shouldn't try to emulate Windows. On the other hand, software developers need to be able to present & promote their offerings in a way that people can understand. And, like it or not, these people will only be able to grasp the developers' new ideas with the knowledge and/or experience they already have.

Have a good evening,
Wrinkly.

Post by _khAttAm_ »

randomizer wrote:
_khAttAm_ wrote:About Jupitor OS, if it serves in getting a few Windows or Mac users to use Linux (in other words, increasing the Linux user base), it cannot be bad.
It can be bad if it makes excessive efforts to mimic the Windows or OSX ways of doing things beyond where those two OSs actually excel. If a Linux "convert" doesn't actually experience anything significantly different from Windows for the majority of the time then when something goes wrong and they need to get down and dirty they'll be so far outside of their comfort zone that they'll run back to Windows because they know for certain that Windows acts like Windows 100% of the time and not just when its working fine. We don't want distros that copy another OS's flaws otherwise those users gain nothing from switching. I am not saying that Jupiter OS does this (I obviously haven't used it), but it is a danger that every Linux distro which tries to "convert" Windows and OSX users faces and it should be kept in mind.
I am against lock-ins, even if they are done by those who claim to have good intentions. Having said that, I am not for locking in people by making them spend considerable time in learning how to maintain the new OS. Most new users will give up right then, or even hesitate to give it a try at all after reading about someone's difficulty in adapting to it and finally giving up. It is the ability to easily migrate to Linux which has brought so many people to Linux in recent years. Thanks to distros like Ubuntu and Mint.

On a side note, I have removed Ubuntu and installed Debian now. I started with a business card Squeeze image, installed the base, then installed gnome, added a few launchpad PPAs to get the softwares I used in Ubuntu, added Isadora repos, added unstable repos (and apt-pinned testing) and upgraded, added Julia repos, tried kde and came back to gnome again after it crashed, installed kernel from Ubuntu mainline and removed it again. I have installed theme from Macbuntu project, removed gnome-panel and replaced it completely with awn. Its been fun. I also tried Linux mint Julia and liked it very much, specially the new Mint menu. I have installed the latest Mintmenu (from Julia repos) to my Debian install, but have not been able to make it work like it works on Julia. Debian seems a lot better on the resources and I will probably try (converting my current install to) LMDE next, while keeping an eye on progress of Unity interface of Ubuntu Natty Narwhal.
easyed

Post by easyed »

Update: I don't think there will be a release of Jupiter OS. The developer abandoned the project, and supposedly griped about Pinguy, being "competition," according to his Facebook fan page, which apparently was disabled in the past couple of weeks. Before the FB page was taken down, the developer said something about working with Elementary OS.
vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

...dead as a doorknob then...
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

Hopefully they've had conversations with Hadret about this. A one man distro relying on one man's ppa for some of its core components. Sounds like a sound plan for a stable future.
easyed

Post by easyed »

Perhaps, given whatever they're doing, it'll make it necessary to defrag their version of Linux whenever it comes out.
ShexNivis

Post by ShexNivis »

easyed wrote:Perhaps, given whatever they're doing, it'll make it necessary to defrag their version of Linux whenever it comes out.
LOLOLOLOL
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I have no beef with Ubuntu. I use 10.10 on my own netbook and laptop. In the case of the laptop, it is because I've been too darned lazy to install anything else and have been faithfully upgrading since 8.04. We have two netbooks at home. Mine runs 10.10 UNR because I wanted to try it out and see what people were whining and complaining about. I like the direction that Ubuntu is going with the Unity interface. But it isn't my favorite. My favorite is Mint, and specifically LMDE.

The "other" netbook and the linux desktop downstairs, cobbled from old hardware and designated as the non-game homework machine, both run LMDE and I'm extraordinarily pleased with this. LMDE is solid, stable, beautiful, and easy for me to work with. Kids can use one or the other without relearning anything. They've used Mint since Elyssa so they're not strangers to it. Momma's computer is the sole Windows holdout, running Win-7. My NAS runs BSD.
easyed

Post by easyed »

I took a dander at the Elementary OS web site (www.elementary-project.com). There appears to be no change with it in the past several months. It was during the late summer when stumbling upon it last. If it ever comes out one of these light years, I'll down load it on to a DVD to use as a coaster. It'll become useful as a recycled iPad.
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

hinto wrote:my uptime with sidux was months. The only time I rebooted was when I updated the kernel.
-H
A few years back, I ran Windows XP for one year without a restart ;D
easyed

Post by easyed »

If it ever comes out, running Elementary OS for one day with out a restart would be a challenge.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Apparently the new and improved Elementary OS, codenamed: Jupiter has been released.

elementary os website > http://elementaryos.org/

OMG! Ubuntu release notes > http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/elem ... Ubuntu!%29
(patience -- the OMG Ubuntu website is having issues, ATM)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Bravo!!! More choices=more possible users...if more goodies get ported --good. I like seeing choice--that's what Linux is all about after all...

As for the "bashing" Ubuntu thing---I have been rather bitter talking about Ubuntu over the last few months---I was a Alpha tester from the 5.04 release until a couple of months into the Natty testing cycle. I was very active in the testing/development forum for all those years & I "think" that I gave quite a bit back to the Ubuntu community.....That being said...a exchange of emails/words with a couple of developers at the start of Natty (having to do with Gnome3/Gnome-Shell testing vs Unity testing this cycle) lead me to look elsewhere...so I landed here. Pardon my general ill-feeling towards Ubuntu--I was told in no uncertain terms that I could do things their way or "take the highway"---so that is what I did.

Return to “LMDE Archive”