How many times did you break your first linux install?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrkalak

Re: How many times did you break your first linux install?

Post by vrkalak »

shane wrote: I would strongly suggest installing and configuring Arch Linux if you want to learn.
That's what I was dong when I make this last OS b0rk. :cry:

I was configuring my new Archbang. Arch + Crunchbang = #!Crunchbang with Arch as the base, instead of Ubuntu.
A version/distro of Arch/Linux with Openbox.

I really like Openbox ... but, I really have no idea what I'm doing inside Arch. :lol:
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

vrkalak wrote:
shane wrote:I was configuring my new Archbang.
If learning is the aim, go for pure Arch. The installation itself requires reading the wiki. After installation you only have a command line and a package manager. And you build you system from there. The wiki documentation is superb. It's not hard per se... you just have to know what you are doing... hence you have to/will learn it. Also, Arch tries to package apps with no modifications at all... so Gnome in Arch is exactly what the Gnome guys release. This means the knowledge acquired in Arch is easily transferable to any distro... except package management and the BSD style init... which I happen to like a lot.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

vrkalak wrote:
2nd time my Xubuntu "Lucid" has broken on me. :cry: .
Still on my first. After third upgrade took out the changes in my Grub and been working ever since.
Cannot tell you how many times I crashed with KDE, until I was Sick and tired of it.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Landmouse wrote:How many times did you break your first linux install due to tinkering?
("I break it daily on purpose" is a valid and acceptable answer!)
At least 3 times, but not with Mint7x
Gentoo
Freebsd
Fedora with KDE

Ubuntu, I didn't like..
Suse I did like and the recent Fedora versions (kde 4x) I found a little awkward, the breakage was crashing the desktop kicker replacement plasma
Topless Granny

Post by Topless Granny »

Twice because my graphics card driver messed up and instead of patiently waiting I just had to do a fresh install.
dmsynck

Post by dmsynck »

The first linux distros (Mandrake, Suse 7.2) that I messed with in late 2000 used EXT2 filesystem as a standard and I trashed the filesystem several times. Forunately, I got to keep both pieces when it broke.
saarmae

Post by saarmae »

Well yesterday was my first, you can read about it here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=45149 (<- please help if you can!)
I'm kinda still hoping it's possible to recover but seeing all the talk about reinstall in this thread i guess i'm giving up soon.
COKEDUDE

Post by COKEDUDE »

None so far :). I am knocking on wood as I am typing :).
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I have Lost count on my installs. I agree with the Majority that the more you break the more you learn.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

No mistakes = no learning.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Habitual wrote:No mistakes = no learning.

you mean breaking it is a mistake :shock:
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

First installation? I still do it regularly. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
COKEDUDE

Post by COKEDUDE »

willie42 wrote:I have Lost count on my installs. I agree with the Majority that the more you break the more you learn.
Sounds like we have different definitions. Breaking I consider to need a reformat to fix your problem. Messing up I consider to take several days of googling and asking questions. I mess up my system all the time :lol: .
jesica

Post by jesica »

I lost count, more than 8 times, and I am waiting for the new LMDE to come out, then I will give it a try again
COKEDUDE

Post by COKEDUDE »

jesica wrote:I lost count, more than 8 times, and I am waiting for the new LMDE to come out, then I will give it a try again
What happened the first time you tried LMDE?
colyn

Post by colyn »

WHAT!!!!!!!!
I've never made a single mistake in my life.......however there was one time when I thought I had made a mistake but I was mistaken...... :mrgreen:
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I honestly don't know how many times I've b0rked by Linux OS. But, quite a few, sometimes more than once a day. :(
But, I can say, that I've never had an OS/distro break, that was not self-inflicted.

I installed LMDE on my 2nd PC on the day it was released . . . and I haven't had to re-boot the computer since.
My "uptime" is measured in weeks. :lol:

The new LMDE x64 iso is going on my primary PC. I have a special 50Gb partition waiting for it.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

I broke Storm a few times.Broke Progeny once.Ian got me straight. Debian used to be difficult but I loaded every package I could find. My bad.
Many, many, others I had to ditch because they were pure, unadulterated, garbage to begin with. :roll:

Until the recent Mints and Vectors about the only ones I ran were Debian pure and Xandros. I found a HDD a while back, in my " stuff", that is loaded with Xandros Beta2. That was the most stable OS I ever saw. Ran it for a couple of years without a reboot.Never even upped it to the final release.
I'm on the Julia box right now and with what I see thus far, I will likely not upgrade for a long long time.
I have a LMDE box at the office and a Vector box for the tourists to play on.
Debian based distros rule.

Slacks, specifically Vector, also have a long future ahead.They just need more complete package repos.
With Slack you CAN install rpm and debs with a little effort.

WinBloze ? Not so much :wink:
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

I've successfully borked EVERY install and Distro thus far at least once and only hope to continue 'til they lay me in a pine box. That is the day I'll finally get things figured out :lol: :wink: :? :oops: :) :D :lol:
Kifura

Post by Kifura »

Lost count really. Now its more about deleting partitions with me then having to reboot a new OS. I may have broken Ubuntu around 7 times. Now however I just try a dsitro, If I dont like it, I delete it and put in something more stable. In a way it helps me not crash my laptop as much.

Return to “Chat about Linux”