3 hits and down goes LMDE... drag...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
neomagician

3 hits and down goes LMDE... drag...

Post by neomagician »

Brand new install, reinstalled twice.
Brand new laptop.
Checked installs and md5's
had to reinstall due to trying everything on the forum I could find for fixes.

Laptop
HP G62-364DX
2.40GHz VISION Technology from AMD with AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P540
Video Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics
Sound Altec Lansing speakers

So here's my 3 hits. I was about to go distro hopping out the door and decided, ya know, I'm going to see if I can get this one to go this time...

No sound: went through all the tricks in the lmde section one at a time for 9 hours (name your inputs, I'll post them here.)
No 3d effects: Even after installing the prop drivers from amd/ati
Worlds slowest internet: Now I just overwrote pclinuxos and was getting 2.4Mb download speeds from bittornado with firefox at 5 tabs open and opera at 14 tabs (one youtube), I'll be lucky to get 300k total from lmde. Update will take 7 1/2 hours. Checked for fastest source and all... Went to debian from pclos in virtualbox after reinstalling temporarily, it's going at 1.8Mb for downloading same game in lmde at 25kbs from the same source... web pages are slow, (not just forum).

Worst of all, everything else works like a charm... lol

I'm really wanting to get this one to work, any help would be grand. I will even reinstall for a 3rd time or more to get it going. If you want, I can post 3 different places for the 3 issues. But seeing how its just one computer...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: 3 hits and down goes LMDE... drag...

Post by tdockery97 »

I'm really surprised you're having that much trouble with LMDE on your HP. I have an HPG61 with the ATI Radeon 4200 card and everything works out of the box. My internet speeds are the same as they are in Mint 10 and what they were in the 32-bit LMDE installation I had previously. The only problem I had was with the updates. Like you said, the speed was agonizingly slow, but I think the Debian repos are getting slammed right now due to all of us updating LMDE.

I hope you are able to get everything working, because LMDE is really a great distro.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

for the updates: change your apt sources to a local mirror
neomagician

Post by neomagician »

I'm in New Orleans, I switched from mirrors.insync.za.net which was recomended as the US server to the one from Canada. That has improved the downloads, but it must be a firefox issue since I downloaded opera (23 minutes in ff) and its going fullspeed. Odd as FF is the new beta 4 and was exceptional on pclos. Still no sound or 3d... We need a ati how to.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

you might want to take account what day this is and how many new computers has been added to the Internet today. So you might expext things to be slow for the next 4 to 5 more hours.

hope this helps
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

[quote="willie42"]you might want to take account what day this is and how many new computers has been added to the Internet today. So you might expext things to be slow for the next 4 to 5 more hours.
[quote]
That sounds like an interesting theory, but I don't think that truthful.
Especially in your country, people are wasting a lot. Throwing "old" computers away and replacing them by new ones.
I don't think that ISPs experience a significant number of new subscriptions over the Christmas.

Anyway, I'd be an interesting statistic if avail.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well at this point it was a theroy......
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
neomagician

Post by neomagician »

Soon as I switched servers the speed was way better so I'll attribute that the issue for americans is the recommended server. As for firefox, I'm still stumblin about.

As for sound...

xan@xansystem ~ $ sudo modprobe snd-pcm-oss

xan@xansystem ~ $ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono

xan@xansystem ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xd0400000 irq 16

xan@xansystem ~ $ cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_hda_intel

xan@xansystem ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

xan@xansystem ~ $ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.

xan@xansystem ~ $ less /tmp/alsa-info.txt
/tmp/alsa-info.txt: No such file or directory
xan@xansystem ~ $ sudo less /tmp/alsa-info.txt
/tmp/alsa-info.txt: No such file or directory
xan@xansystem ~ $ bash ./alsa-info.sh --pastebin
bash: ./alsa-info.sh: No such file or directory

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-hpmicsense

sudo which alsactl
/usr/sbin/alsactl

Still no sound, I'm running through the entire debian forum and wiki how to's and whatnot, still without success, not even somuch as a beep...

oh btw, the videos I have play fine, just soundless, as well as in browsers and all music.
neomagician

Post by neomagician »

alsamixer

Return to “LMDE Archive”