[Bug] Installer does not check the size of target partitions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
macias

[Bug] Installer does not check the size of target partitions

Post by macias »

Hello,

I cannot install 201012 but I had the same problem with previous version too (32-bit, because it was only available). However previously on the second try, the installer didn't hang up on me.

Facts:
VirtualBox
LMDE 201012 64-bit version

After configuring all steps required for install, installer hangs up on copying /usr/lib/libgmime (AFAIR previously, with 32-bit version, it was another file). On the second try (re-runing installer) installer hanged up on copying bash. On the third try (shutdown of VB and booting the iso again) installer hanged up on libgmime again.

Every time, installer hangs up on COPYING file, VirtualBox indicates ZERO disk activity.

With previous release I checked the md5sum, it was OK, currently I didn't do it, because md5sum is not published.

If I can help somehow in solving this issue, please let me know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linmint777

Re: [error] Cannot install 201012 under VirtualBox

Post by linmint777 »

I also had problems and solved it by changing the default configuration that handles virtualbox:
first try installing from the iso and not from a cd.
Second, be sure to choose debian system.
third, try to be more generous with the resources that you assign to the virtual machine configuration., ie
1 .- ram increase it to 40% of which have (real)
2 .- 3D acceleration enabled
3 .- sure to allocate at least 8 gb of disk space
4 .- increases the amount of video at 128 mb

sorry for my bad english
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

ahhh and enable I/O cache for virtual disk driver:
storage ----> sata controller
macias

Post by macias »

Thank you very much for your tips.

> I also had problems and solved it by changing the default configuration that handles virtualbox:

I don't know if it is default or not, but with the same config (or even worse) I installed and ran Windows XP, Vista, Ubuntu 32-bit and 64-bit, Fedora and it worked fine. I don't see any reason why LMDE should be exception -- except one thing, there is something wrong on LMDE side.

> first try installing from the iso and not from a cd.

Already done (I never burn CD).

> Second, be sure to choose debian system.

Already done.

> 1 .- ram increase it to 40% of which have (real)

Better than this, but if RAM is not sufficient for LMDE installer it should report that fact, and not fail in the middle of installation process.

> 2 .- 3D acceleration enabled

I don't see how this is relevant to copying the files, but I turned this on, and it didn't make any change.

> 3 .- sure to allocate at least 8 gb of disk space

More than this.

> 4 .- increases the amount of video at 128 mb

Again, no relevance for me, and it didn't help.

> enable I/O cache for virtual disk driver:

Ok, it didn't help though.

However I found the culprit -- when you wrote about resizing this and that -- I thought of root partition, it was way to small (how the previous version fitted there, it is a mystery).

So the conclusion is:

BUG: LMDE installer does not check the size of the target partitions.

Thank you for hinting me in the right direction :-)
linmint777

Re: [Bug] Installer does not check the size of target partit

Post by linmint777 »

1 .- ram increase it to 40% of which have (real)
2 .- 3D acceleration enabled
This is because the installer is run in graphical mode, and improves the performance of live-cd emulation. (for me).
> enable I/O cache for virtual disk driver:
This is very important to avoid the bug related to. VDI (virtual disk images) installed on ext4 filesystems.
more info: http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.html#iocaching

Return to “LMDE Archive”