The benfits of ubuntu tweak in lmde

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lizzibet

The benfits of ubuntu tweak in lmde

Post by lizzibet »

Since I have one large seperate partition for all file storage and assign it as /home to every distro i install i created a permanent directory called Media in /home/Media. Ubuntu Tweak has a tool to set my default storage directories for pictures, docs, videos, etc from whatever the home directory is for the distro i installed to the matching one in ?home/Media. this is a great convenience. Even were i to not add repos through it, it's package manager lists the more common files i use without having to remember them our go searching in synaptic, they are just listed there, a short list of most people's favorites. also it has an automated cleaner for uneeded files, the file download cache, config files and old kernels. these tools are quite useful. Also it allows me to show advanced feature in the nautilus menu, fix the theme appearance while in root, allows me to change the default files to launch for different files readily, allows me to add shortcuts, manage templates, manage scripts, has abuilt in desktop recover/backup tool, allows me to make some adjustments to compiz, gnome and window manager setting. and more. It is a useful tool even if you never install another repo of any kind. The repos it will add by default are debian repos for swiftfox, opera beta and official, google stable source, deb thumbnailer, iphone ethernet driver for usb, play on linux, and skype. It also has a feature to install updates for your system

it's a great tool for so many reasons, don't be fooled by the name.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneC

Re: The benfits of ubuntu tweak in lmde

Post by GeneC »

Hi lizzibet!

I am a newby to linux, having installed Mint 10 Gnome a few months back. I just installed LMDE 10 (64bit) yesterday and all is well, but find myself missing Ubuntu Tweak :? Do I understand from your post that I can use Ubuntu Tweak in LMDE-64 bit? If so, how can I do that. I am command line "illiterate" :oops:

Thanks! :D
twa

Post by twa »

GeneC,
don't know for 64bits but I have LMDE 32bits since first release of september.
installed Ubuntu Tweak since then and can confirm is a great tool.
:D
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hi twa!

Thanks for the reply, being new to Debian, was not sure if a "Ubuntu" ap would work. Sure looks like it will. Going to give it a try...

--------------------------------------------------
(Sometime later!!) :P

I just downloaded it (from the Ubuntu Tweak site), and installed the .deb. There was not a specific one for 64 bit, the generic one works just fine. I mostly like the "package cleaner" section. I worked like a charm.. :D

Thanks much!
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Be careful with it... certain functions of Ubuntu Tweak like adding PPA's can compromise the integrity of your Debian system.

It is certainly not recommended to use Ubuntu Tweak in Debian, use at your own risk.
vincent

Post by vincent »

proxima_centauri wrote:Be careful with it... certain functions of Ubuntu Tweak like adding PPA's can compromise the integrity of your Debian system.

It is certainly not recommended to use Ubuntu Tweak in Debian, use at your own risk.
+1

Certain Ubuntu PPAs can cause dependency conflicts with the packages in Debian's repositories, so as a general rule, unless you know what you're doing, avoid PPAs on Debian. (I don't want to sound like those folks over at Sidux/Aptosid who claim that PPAs will poison and damage your system irreparably (which is an unnecessary exaggeration), I'm just saying that you had better be cautious using them or else you'll run into problems with APT.)

Everything else Ubuntu Tweak can accomplish can also be achieved with gconf-editor.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Thanks guys,

I dont intend to download software from the Ubuntu Tweak PPA's, or use its update manager. Its the package cleaner section that I find helpful. I am so new at Linux that I dont know how to use gcong editor yet, but am learning. Its a lot to comprened so quickly.. :wink: But all fun!

Return to “LMDE Archive”