is Compaq Presario F572 good for linux?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

What's the WiFi chip in that Presario??

I personally would recommend to go for a Intel CPU-based HP Pavilion dv-xxxx Laptop which has Intel GMA-950 (or better) graphics and Intel-based WiFi chipset. Those machines pretty much work 'out of the box'. Also very nice: HP's business laptops NX-xxxx or NC-xxxx with the same specs as above (Intel CPU + Intel Graphics + Intel WiFi).

Laptops with Nvidia chipsets are not worth the trouble unless you go for the really expensive ones which you could use for gaming (e.g. with Nvidia 8600 GT chips ... but such laptops are very expensive) ... Anything below a Nvidia 7600 (the absolute minimum you should have for 'gaming') is just not worth the trouble as they offer hardly any speed advantage over Intel's latest chipsets.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

mrg2007 wrote: in this vga.. can i work with beryl fluid?
I had Beryl work very fluid on my super old Nvidia 5600 FX graphics card. Just some effects (e.g. transparent cube) tend to slow it down very much.

Return to “Hardware Support”