[SOLVED] is 201101 ready for Primetime?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Habitual

[SOLVED] is 201101 ready for Primetime?

Post by Habitual »

My name is John, I'm a Distro Whore.
Sorry, that's tomorrow night's meeting.

Anyway I downloaded 201101/32 with an md5sum of daeabb182b016cd62bfced5483441b5a
That matches what http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1604 says, so I installed it in a VM and gave it a Gig of RAM.

I am way too comfortable setting up my own partitions and I have set aside a 20G /dev/sda4 on my laptop
I have a single install of LM10/32 now but I need to run it "side-by-side" it before I commit.
From what I've read here, I should NOT install GRUB and just re-run
1. sudo grub-install /dev/sda
2. sudo update-grub
from my LM10/32 install when I do install to sda4?

I installed Lenny and two other OSs over Thanksgiving for a total of 5 installs, and 4 installs since then.
I like Debian's stable feel but the DE was too "flat". And that's something I don't think any Theme could fix.
I hope that I can get the "Wow!" factor/feeling back from an installed OS, and further hope that it's Mint LMDE that gives it to me!

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: is 201101 ready for Primetime?

Post by proxima_centauri »

If I understand correctly, you will simply need to reboot into Linux Mint 10 after installing LMDE, and run "sudo update-grub". This will repopulate the menu list with the new addition of LMDE.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Thanks!

That's the confirmation I was hoping for.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Habitual,
The reason Debian Squeeze looked "flat," was probably because Compiz and the extra eye-candy are not installed unless you want it. Debian is very popular with those who have older hardware and like to build their own Debian systems piece by piece. The eye-candy already installed would be unpopular with many since it would degrade system performance. The standard install, if you chose the standard desktop option in tasksel, provided a good base desktop with applications. If anyone wants the extras, he or she adds them. If you wanted more, all you had to do was open Synaptic and install your heart out. Debian and Mint have usually had two different target audiences, yet with the addition of LMDE, we now have an interesting hybrid that both camps can enjoy.

If you want WOW!, you can certainly get it with Debian. I just did not want others reading this thread to think Debian was lacking in anything. Debian just starts out with more available options for customization.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Well, I do like eye-candy.

Thanks rivenathos
I will keep that in mind with the Lenny CD I still have.

I need to settle down and pick an OS for crying out loud.
This is almost on "The Murtaugh List" :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”