Why did you switch to linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Post by tdockery97 »

You mean there are other distros??????????
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

tdockery97 wrote:You mean there are other distros??????????
NO WAY!!!!!!! That's not possible! :wink: :)
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

It's a wonder that any Linux user should ask something like this.
If you used Windows and just tried Linux the reason is obvious:

COMPARED TO LINUX WINDOWS SUCKS, BIG TIME!!!!

There are still some minor reasons to keep a Windows Install on your machine, but for anything else Linux is by far better.

Simple, fast, reliable and last but not least absolutely FREE.

What more can anyone ask for in a computer OS???

I guess the main reason for me will actually be the fact that in Linux I finally get to be in control of my PC and to tell it what to do and what not to do.

Can anyone tell me that they were able to install any software in Windows without being either forced or tricked into installing at least one if not more annoying tag-along extras (browser bars, etc, etc)
Not to mention that in Windows you are forced to sacrifice 25% to 40% of your computing power to anti-virus, anti spam, anti spyware, anti malware, etc.

To conclude: The minute they find Linux software able to replicate the very few Windows only stuff I still need I will finally be able to kiss Mr. Gates goodbye once and for all. I'm looking forward to that glorious moment.

Code: Select all

Windows is only good for one thing:
To download Linux.
Once you achieved that please do not forget to uninstall Windows ASAP.
[/size]
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Can you please make the rest of the text bigger, because I cannot see the smaller things you wrote. ;)
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Doruletz »

eiver wrote:Can you please make the rest of the text bigger, because I cannot see the smaller things you wrote. ;)
eiver, I appreciate your sense of humour. I was just trying to make a statement and make the whole thing look a little nicer. If it bothers you that much let me know and I'll change it.

Thanks for the comment.
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

No it doesn't bother me, I'm cool.
irothste

Post by irothste »

My dad has worked with computers since forever. He has always trumpeted the virtues of linux and unix based systems over windows. Every computer I have ever had has gone to linux in its old age. First mandrake, then SUSE, I installed red hat on a computer when I needed a linux box for work. When my last computer got the bsod one time too many I again went back to linux,
Disclaimer: I did try to put linux on it when I first got it but it was right when intel dual processor came out and I couldn't find a distro that would install.

This last time I went with mint. Mint is the first installation that I can say I was not only happy with the performance but also the ease of use. Mint was the first installation I actually was able to get my wireless to work on. Also the first one where I was able to just plug in my printer without any issues.

My girlfriend just recently bought me a new laptop and you can bet the first thing I did was install linux mint on it. I have been so impressed with MINT that I even convinced my technophobic sister to install it on her laptop and she has been ecstatic as well.

Count me among the others who is so happy that MINT just works. I am even trying to convince dad to give it a try, although seeing as he is a SUSE user it might be a tougher sell.
Agent Twelve

Post by Agent Twelve »

Great post, everyone...

Why did I turn to Linux Mint?

So I won't repeat myself, here is my reason here: http://tinyurl.com/394reoe :D
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

I switched to Mint from Ubuntu, and prior to that Windows.

The reasons for switching to Linux in the first place was due to a number of factors including speed and stability. I dual booted for a couple of years then sacked Windows altogether. Whilst using Ubuntu I distro hopped a lot (using live cd's as well as virtual box).

I eventually settled on mint as everything is so well put together and ease of use is second to none. I'm currently running the Gnome desktop but am waiting for the new KDE to see what that is like. If it's not a great leap over Gnome I'll probably switch to LMDE.... Rumours of LMDE KDE and an ultimate move away from Ubuntu sound sweet (don't get me wrong I love Ubuntu but I like the performance of Debian). My young son also has a PC and ease of use is a major consideration (and I like to keep all machines on the same OS).

In short Mint is pretty awesome!
miez

Post by miez »

Elisa wrote:
miez wrote:...because she's using a program for school, and it doesn't work under Linux mint with wine.
What's the name of the program?
It's called "Typvaardigheid", wich is dutch and is called typing 10 fingers in English I believe. If I ran it in Wine it said "runtime error". She doesn't need it anymore because she passed the test. :)
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

well I'm not fully loaded yet, so shall we say I'm 90% of the way to becoming a Linux user, yesterday I installed a new [to me] hard drive, and was thinking of the old duel boot but decided to go for it and just installed [after a couple of hic-cups] Mint 10 64bit and hav spent this morning going through programs and applications,found and installed most of what i need BUT I haven't as yet found a MSM compatible messenger service with which i can make Visual/audio calls [Granddaughter calls me every night] so any of you have recommendations it would be greatly accepted

yasus
Brian
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I guess you mean MSN? Did you try amsn? Also M$ makes it possible to launch web MSN - I am not sure if it is voice capable though.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Skype?
mickey46834

Post by mickey46834 »

I have been 'toying' around with Linux for about 5 years. Started on Basic to dos and every MS OS up to Windows 7. Finally after fighting Windows 7 for 6 months with random lockups I was done with it. I have tried Mint 9 but holy cow Mint 10 is SUPER ! ! ! The only thing I was worried about was I use a Virgin Mobile USB Broadband. And I looked and it was not supported to run according to VM. But I popped it in and it said do you want to use this for internet, and here I am. It has been flawless. I have a sound issue once and a while but it does work 98% of the time. It's something I'm missing prolly, but thats been the only issue. I am very excited to finally have made the 'for good' switch to Linux.
Oscar

Why did you switch to linux mint?

Post by Oscar »

Because Vista made my laptop useless. No lie.

Loves me some Linux Mint. ;)
mtbmikex9

Post by mtbmikex9 »

Well its a rather boring story.

The year was 2010. The OS was Vista. My antivirus ran out... Vista was pretty much on its death strokes. In a last ditch effort to use my ageing laptop (about a year old (dont ask) which is missing 5 buttons, the left click button, and the CD drive) I went to a website a comedy podcast was pressing because the host was fan of it. Well, that site was ubuntu, and I downloaded the wubi installer. I downloaded the wubi and with out knowing how to do anything on a linux machine, I reluctantly installed it and it actually worked out well.

Until I had to install Flash 64 bit...
With no experience I was searching the internets for how to install this 64 bit thing. I kept asking my self "Why the **** didnt they make this thing so it can install for you, This is really stupid". But I found how to do it and it said something about terminals and root and stuff I didnt even know about. After a few hours of intense crying and yelling at the screen, I figured out what to do. I was really proud of myself and I felt like a was a computer wiz. So after a while I got used to the ubuntuz and actually got people to think about switching to it. Life was good, a few problems here an their, but nothing a simple google search couldnt fix. Until I upgraded to 10.10 which apparently your not supposed to do.

Now with that computer retired, I bought a new one a few months later, this time it has windows se7en. It was all great and all, but incase I had to, I downloaded the ubuntu 10.10 .iso file and burned that to a disk. I did the same with an operating system that cought my eye, it was called linux mint. In installed ubuntu and duel booted for a while. ubuntu 10.10 was great and all but I got bored and wanted a change.

So I tryed linux mint...
I like the layout and stuff so I installed it.
Then I was like
OH SNAP! Mind = Blown
Linux mint is made of pure pwn. Everything worked out of the box and I was really impressed.

So incase this was tl;dr, I switched to linux mint because ubuntu was ok and windows blows chunks of non pwn. Not to mention the fact that linux mint takes less memory than ubuntu, atleast on my machine.
ScoutTelion

Post by ScoutTelion »

I don't like the fact that Microsoft purposely leave bugs in only to fuel the support calls for their end. I work as a ISP tech we get the angry customer before we are forced to send them to Microsoft for paid support due to policy. I have windows 7 though for my gaming and am dual booting it till I can make sure it runs like I want it to.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

i used windows all my life and was eager for a change. i tried linux and quicky discovered i could never use windows again. i was using buntu 10.10 but u hated tht tribey africany opening. so i looked for popular linux distros and swiftly found mint. i tried it and loved it.
BManLazarus

Post by BManLazarus »

I have a desktop PC and a laptop. I keep Windows on my desktop PC and installed Linux Mint on my laptop. Fairly reasonable reason don't you think?
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

BManLazarus wrote:..Fairly reasonable reason don't you think?
Hmmmmmm, nope, I don't hink ;)
BTW the boss of http://www.distrowatch.com - Ladislav Bodnar (distro #&# distrowatch.com) which is Slovak (!) :o :lol:
He told once in his interview that he didn't used windows already for about 5 years and his children too. On question - why ? I had no reason to... :idea:

So, on your question - is it fairly or whatever, IMO, it just depends on you, dude :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”