Gpodder crashes

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jwp1

Gpodder crashes

Post by jwp1 »

Hi Everyone,
I had gopodder doing some crashes.
I thought might be something my old ubuntu home directory so I did a new install.
Then installed gpodder via the software tool.
It down loads a few shows then crashes.
I set it to one show at time it still crashed 4 and 5 shows at time also crash.

I am not sure what to do.
Thank You
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Gpodder crashes

Post by willie42 »

well you have left some valuable information out.

we have no clue what Version of Mint you are using, Model of computer, or any error messages.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
jwp1

Post by jwp1 »

Hi Willie sorry I am using LMDE.
Fresh install,
I am using the gpodder that was offered in the software center.

My computer is a toshbia nb100 with 1GB ram, atom cpu 120GB HD.
Every thing works fine its just that gpodder crashes a lot
FBluedevil

Post by FBluedevil »

I also have the same problem in LMDE. When you open the program typically a podcast episode will start to download. When the download is complete the program will then crash without a warning. The next time you start the program the previously downloaded program will start downloading again. In order to listen to a podcast you have to halt the new download and anything else gpodder may be trying to download in the background. Otherwise, when it reaches 100% it will crash again.

So, you can work around the problem but it is a huge pain. I have also tried reinstalling gpodder, limiting the program to one download at a time but have yet to find a solution to the problem.

I also run gpodder on Salix, which is a slackware based distro on my same machine and there it works flawlessly. So, it appears to me, that the problem lies with gpodder when working within the LMDE enviroment.

If anybody has Is anybody running this program successfully using LMDE? :?:

I am running the current version of LMDE on a recent Sony vaio laptop, with the intel dual core processor
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

FBluedevil wrote:I also have the same problem in LMDE.
If anybody has Is anybody running this program successfully using LMDE? :?:

I am running the current version of LMDE on a recent Sony vaio laptop, with the intel dual core processor
I've been running it fine on LMDE, first with the 32 bit now on the 64bit. It starts up and brings up a new window showing new shows available, I select some or none and download, and it downloads them and alerts me when it's finished and I can select play and it plays (either video or audio...). Mine was installed using synaptic I believe, or is it installed by default? I forget. It shows as v2.7

I have an amd phenom 8650 (triple core) 2.3ghz with 4gb corsair ram and nvidia graphics card. The 32bit install was using the nouveau driver and it worked fine there too, fwiw. One thing you could try is to run it through a terminal window on your desktop and then note what if any error messages come up. And/or look in messages with the log file viewer (or under /var/log/messages) and see what error messages come up.

I just checked my preferences, most of them were left as installed by default. I see there's a tab called 'updating' and it has a section 'When new episodes are found': with a drop-down for selecting an option. Mine has 'show episode list'. It sounds like you have yours set to 'download immediately'. You might try changing that, and see if it makes a difference? Maybe there's some weird glitch in something it's trying to download. Or not, but you should be able to change that option while it's downloading for the next time it restarts and see what happens.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Perhaps try starting gpodder in the terminal and see if it gives a message related to the crash.

I have mine set to not download podcasts and I just stream them with Movie Player (which has a nice feature that remembers your place after closing it). Not helpful if you want to sync podcasts to a device, I know.
FBluedevil

Post by FBluedevil »

CiaW and d00med, thanks for the comments, my problem is now resloved
I just checked my preferences, most of them were left as installed by default. I see there's a tab called 'updating' and it has a section 'When new episodes are found': with a drop-down for selecting an option. Mine has 'show episode list'. It sounds like you have yours set to 'download immediately'. You might try changing that, and see if it makes a difference?
Nice insight, that was the problem. I changed the setting to "show episode list", then I tested it by downloading a new podcast and when the download completed, no crash! Nor, does gpodder continue to try to reload the previously completed download when starting a new session.

So, many thanks, I really like gpodder and I also feel the same about LMDE, so now I don't have to reboot into another distro just to listen to podcasts and the LMDE enviroment has proven to be completely innocent of any wrong doing.

It's a good day. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”