LMDE pain!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fandangio

LMDE pain!

Post by Fandangio »

Heh all, I'm relatively new to the forums though I've searched here for help when I've had problems in the past.

After dual booting with windows (my better half was reluctant to leave this behind) I have finally gone all mint (gnome) for some time I've finally migrated fully to Mint. My son has a desktop on Mint too and we're all networked, all pc's working flawlessly. In short all is good ;)

Problem is I thought I'd try the Debian edition (live), after so many positive comments here and I'm now struggling to decide whether to install the Debian version instead. The live CD flies and works absolutely flawlessly. But the KDE (10) version should be available soon too, aaarrrgghhhh the agony of choice.

Seriously, damn Linux Mint is awesome in so many flavours I don't know which to chose!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LMDE pain!

Post by willie42 »

I would like first to Welcome you to the Linux Mint Forums. :P

yes there is many Flavors. I have LM9 and 10 and LMDE 10 and LMDE is dual booting. you might try a dual boot... Its something to think about.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

I've been dual booting with Windows for some time and love the flexibility this gives. To some extent though it feels like your hedging your bets and not really focusing on a particular OS. Plus I'd like to avoid the additional delay in booting that GRUB and OS selection brings (sad I know).

The Gnome version is pretty much out for me as I have never managed to resolve video tearing issues (that for me only occur when using the Gnome desktop environment) and I was waiting for KDE really but Debian (so far) looks excellent.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Clem said that they are working on a KDE- LMDE. I guess it will be ready the next months. Then, you ll have the best of the worlds :mrgreen:
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

Fandangio wrote:I've been dual booting with Windows for some time and love the flexibility this gives. To some extent though it feels like your hedging your bets and not really focusing on a particular OS. Plus I'd like to avoid the additional delay in booting that GRUB and OS selection brings (sad I know).

The Gnome version is pretty much out for me as I have never managed to resolve video tearing issues (that for me only occur when using the Gnome desktop environment) and I was waiting for KDE really but Debian (so far) looks excellent.
I feel your pain....I want LMDE and KDE also....one would think the 'community' editions would go ahead and switch over to Debian for easier maintenance. We can only hope :)
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

asymmetros wrote:Clem said that they are working on a KDE- LMDE. I guess it will be ready the next months. Then, you ll have the best of the worlds :mrgreen:
I've read in a few places that Debian will be the way forward (possibly when Ubuntu switches to mutter). If that's the case then I can't wait!
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

I m deeply sorry :(
I was referring to this http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1610#comments
but Clem was talking for KDE 10 and not LMDE
My fault :(

Anyway, i agree that Debian is the way forward. At least as soon as Mint devs feel safe enough in handling LMDE's needed work.
You can find some topics and tutorials in this forum, written from KDE fans which trying to run KDE under LMDE (I am not a KDE fan). You have always many options in Linux
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Thanks for the info asymmetros.

I know that there are rumours going round about Mint moving to a Debian base which would be cool.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

Where do you download? I checked Distrowatch and they still have the updates as Dec. but that was when they had the black screen 'live media' problems?

Are those download locations containing the updated/fixed versions?

Is there a KDE x86 and 64-bit version?

Edit: Okay, there isn't one yet.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

You could install LMDE and add KDE when it comes into the repository or add KDE from Debian if you are impatient and then just 'Mintify' it later :D
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

jeffreyC wrote:You could install LMDE and add KDE when it comes into the repository or add KDE from Debian if you are impatient and then just 'Mintify' it later :D
Okay, cool. I think the devs may have a 'KDE edition' eventually, though, right? It's probably just configuring a Live edition with KDE desktop etc.? I just tried the live Gnome (default) x86 edition which I want to install on an old Thinkpad. I tried it on my more powerful desktop, though. Wow, really nice job! I might need a utility like unetbootin or similar usb creator program, though, because the optical drive in the Thinkpad is defective! But, I will be installing the x86 edition for sure on that computer! I may try the 64-bit version on an extra partition on the desktop, too. I have Debian Squeeze (KDE edition) on it, currently.

Return to “LMDE Archive”