Who's doing what

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Who's doing what

Post by clem »

Hi,

Just a quick unofficial note on who's doing what at the moment:

- Clement (aka clem) maintains the x86 live distribution, the website and forums

- Michael (aka d00p) moderates the IRC channel and is responsible for the Web server.

- Tony (aka Fragadelic) is having a look at how to make a script which generates a live CD from an installed version of Linux Mint (or Ubuntu).

- Jon (aka JonPackard) is having a look at how to fit more stuff in the default Mint distribution

- Scorp123 is spending a huge amount of time on the forums and fixing everybody's problem the best anybody can!

- Alephcat is writing a weekly newsletter for Linux Mint.

- Tiptup300 is making great artwork for the distribution.
Last edited by clem on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Who's doing what

Post by antiquexray »

clem wrote:- looking at how to make an Alternate Install CD.
- taking responsibility on a weekly newsletter.

Clem
It'd be great to be able to help with the CD, but since that would probably involve a lot skills using the Terminal, I'm out. What did you have in mind for a newsletter?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Some weekly summary of the important things that happened during the week. Things related to progress, planning, bug fixing... all the things that would be of interest for Linux Mint users. It would be up to whoever want to be in charge of that newsletter to browse the forums and filter what he thinks is of relevance. The newsletter would be a way for users to get the important news about Mint (maybe online and in their mailbox, why not), without having to follow all that's happening on the forums.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Here is an update of 64-bit:

As far as Mint 2.x 64-bit which is based on ubuntu 6.10 64-bit, it isn't going to happen. :(

There is a nasty bug on a lot of systems where the whole PC locks up when you either logout or try to shutdown requiring the power button be pressed or reset button.

From what I have read, some have gotten it to work by disabling bootsplash and setting either vga=788 or vga=791 instead of splash in /boot/grub/menu.lst on the kernel line.

Sadly neither of these worked on my system and a quick look at the Ubuntu forums will show you that it is happening on quite a few systems.

We will revisit the issue once Ubuntu 7.04 comes out.

Sorry to the 64-bit fans but ubuntu 64 just isn't good enough to bother at this point in time.
jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard »

clem wrote:- Jon (aka JonPackard) is having a look at how to fit more stuff in the default Mint distribution
I have decided that the best way that I can benefit the Linux Mint community is to create an add-on CD repository. It will benefit users that either need additional drivers to get online, have a limited internet connection, or no internet connection at all. The add-on CD will also make some programs easier to install. In the future I would like to make a DVD version of Linux Mint with the KDE desktop in addition to Gnome. For right now, I'm going to focus on the add-on repository, since it will be included in the DVD.
Jon Packard -- Linux Mint user since 11/14/2006
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Jon,

I'll probably be focusing on KDE after Bianca gets released.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Sure. There are many ways you can help, and they don't necessarily involve development skills. Have a look at this page:

http://linuxmint.com/get_involved.html

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We do! 1280x1024! :)
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

maybe a slightly smaller one then? :wink:
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

much nicer
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Everybody's welcome to join in. Alephcat and Antiquexray have started looking at it, try to talk to them to work together on this.

Clem
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

you are more than welcome to help, I will post my first newsletter type thing in the forums on Sunday and see where we can go from there
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I updated the first post to include Alephcat, Tiptup300 and last but not least Scorp123 whose work on the forums and amount of help he gave to people here is simply phenomenal!

Thanks to the three of you for what you're doing, it definitely helps a lot.

Clem.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:... and last but not least Scorp123 whose work on the forums and amount of help he gave to people here is simply phenomenal!
Merci beaucoup !!! :D :D :D
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

thank you clem, I wish i could do more, but i do not really have the skills or the time to devote to helping as much as I would like.
kiwiboyus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiwiboyus »

Well I have no skills so I'll spread the word for starters :D
and look for some loose change to donate.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Here is an article comparing performance of 32-bit ubuntu vs 64-bit ubuntu.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=8325

As you can see there is little difference other than the kernel compile time.

I'll still look at Ubuntu 7.04 though and see if a mint64 is feasible at that time.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Who's doing what

Post by npap »

clem wrote:I updated the first post to include Alephcat, Tiptup300 and last but not least Scorp123 whose work on the forums and amount of help he gave to people here is simply phenomenal!

Thanks to the three of you for what you're doing, it definitely helps a lot.

Clem.
That's great Clem!
These fellows have been very helpful. And may I suggest that fragadelic should be included in this 'Favorite List' ?

One more thing. Thanks to all of the above mentioned individuals and, last but not least, the great bunch in the Mint forum, I got to learn how to use the Terminal, somehow. I am now a Newbie Guru :)
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

<Igor>You rang?</Igor>
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

I'd be more then happy to throw in my design skills to help out.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”