Where are xorg.conf and gnome.session??

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pintas

Where are xorg.conf and gnome.session??

Post by pintas »

I've been looking for these and i can't find them anywhere.
Both xorg.conf and gnome.session don't exist in my system.

Where are they?

This is what bothers me in Linux. A new version arrives and it's all different again...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: Where are xorg.conf and gnome.session??

Post by cecar »

xorg.conf is in /etc/X11/ on my system.

I cant find any gnome.session file.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Most distros don't use xorg any more, that happened some while ago. It will probably be even worse when Wayland replaces X :?

No idea about gnome.session, never had cause to look for it or use it.

Your comments about Linux although valid are equally true of Windows or Mac although the pace of change is slower in those two.

If you prefer a slower pace of change then look into Debian Stable (although it is about to change as well shortly so I wouldn't bother until it has done so!)
pintas

Post by pintas »

LOL! No way I'll change to another distro. I've already spent way to much time modding my mint. :)
Windows change of pace is much much much slower. If i keep away from it for two or three years, when i get back everything's the same. I've actually had an year old linux distro installed and now that i've upgraded... wow! There's so much going on... Wayland!? Never heard of it. I'm getting old :D

Anyway... I really need to edit my xorg and my gnome.session or default.session or whatever...

Anyone? Please? :roll:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

pintas wrote:
Anyway... I really need to edit my xorg and my gnome.session or default.session or whatever...

Xorg no longer exists - what more can I say?

If you want to edit it you will have to create it first or better still copy it from somewhere else where it used to work.

If you do either of these two then Linux will use xorg.conf but it won't use it by default because it has been "improved" so that it doesn't need it any more.

(LIke cecar said, my xorg.conf is in /etc/X11, but only because that is where I put it.)
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

pintas wrote:LOL! No way I'll change to another distro. I've already spent way to much time modding my mint. :)
Windows change of pace is much much much slower. If i keep away from it for two or three years, when i get back everything's the same. I've actually had an year old linux distro installed and now that i've upgraded... wow! There's so much going on... Wayland!? Never heard of it. I'm getting old :D

As others mentioned, xorg.conf is in /etc/X11 (note that it's case sensitive and X is upper case). The other one I'm not sure, I just ran a find and it appears there's a gnome-session under /home/username/.config I just opened it and there's a folder called 'saved-session' which is empty. But if there's something you want or need to throw in there, that's possibly the place. I also found a gnome-session under /usr/share and under /usr/bin. Take your pick.

If you open your home folder via nautilus (double-click on the icon) you can then ctrl-h and it'll show you the hidden files and folders.
FooAtari

Post by FooAtari »

pintas wrote:Windows change of pace is much much much slower. If i keep away from it for two or three years, when i get back everything's the same.
That seems to have changed since Vista. It seems MS now want to release a new OS every couple of years so. XP was just an exception to the rule :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”