(workaround available) Showing dependents in Synaptic

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

In other distros, there is a drop-down in Synaptic which allows seeing not only the dependencies of a given package but also the dependents (and I think a couple of other choices.)

If I'm looking at a package and wondering if I need it, it's very handy to see not just what the package requires but also what else on the system may require the package. I was wondering why on earth I just got an update for apache2.2-bin. I have no reason to be running apache on this machine. I wanted to see what part of the system depended on this package, but then realized that functionality wasn't available in the LMDE Synaptic.

The drop-down bar is there, it just doesn't work. Does anyone know how to get it working?

Thanks,
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Showing dependents in Synaptic

Post by dawgdoc »

Bob,

It should be working. I am using LMDE 2001009 with all level 1 - 3 updates, except for the 2 today, of which apache2.2 is one of them.

Here is a screenshot of the dependencies
apache2.2-bin_dependencies.png
As far as dependent packages go, all were apache related packages except gnome-user-share. Here is it's description
gnome-user-share is a small package that allows easy user-level file sharing
via WebDAV or ObexFTP. The shared files are announced on the network
by Avahi.
I am not sure why you were unable to access this yourself. Unless one of the repositories was down when you checked all I know to suggest is use apt-get to repair broken packages or re-install synaptic.
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

Thanks for the detailed reply!

It doesn't work on my 64-bit desktop, nor on my 32-bit Netbook. I reinstalled Synaptic, and I ran sudo apt-get check, there are no packages listed in Synaptic as broken, and both systems have been kept completely up-to-date. Hmm.

I'm drawing a blank.

Maybe someone else with the problem will check in and we can compare notes?

Appreciate your help!

Bob
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

I just noticed some other things that may be pertinent. Note that this is occurring on two 32-bit systems and one 64-bit, none of which have had any changes made to them beyond installing some apps that I like (chrome-unstable, gftp, pan, Sylpheed, gmail-notifier).

Not only does the problem with Synaptic noted above occur on all three installs, but I've also just noticed that if I go to "Custom Filters" and then pick "Missing Recommends" there are a ton of them. A "ton" is approximately 100. :D

Some of these are kind of strange, like it says I'm missing gdm. Another was the apt-xapian-index. Others include fast-user-switch-applet, fcron, fetchmail, and exim4.

I'm thinking this list isn't completely correct, as I have a nice Gnome desktop even though gdm is "missing," and I presume that's because I have gdm3 instead.

If these other things are truly recommended and not installed, I'll repeat that I haven't removed anything. They must have been missing from the start (on three distinct installations). Can anyone confirm that they also see a bunch of these "Missing Recommends"?

Thanks,
Bob
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

The only missing recommends on my laptop are gdm and fast-user-switch-applet. Like you I have gdm3 installed, I believe this is default. Now if I look at Upgradeable (Upstream) I have no packages there, even though I have not installed any of the level 4 or 5 updates and can see them in Update Manager
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

Ah, I finally figured out what was going on here. Well, at least I've got a workaround.

I always set my Synaptic preferences to "show package properties in the main window."

When I do that, the drop-down bar for the dependencies / dependents doesn't work.

If I instead just click on the properties box, then it works!

Go figure. Minor bug in Synaptic, I guess.
dawgdoc

Re: (workaround available) Showing dependents in Synaptic

Post by dawgdoc »

I am glad you found your workaround, it never occurred to me to think along those lines.
rtrev

Re: (workaround available) Showing dependents in Synaptic

Post by rtrev »

dawgdoc wrote:I am glad you found your workaround, it never occurred to me to think along those lines.
I was really puzzled by this, especially as nobody jumped in with a "me too."

I ran the live CD, and it worked, I installed, and it worked. I tried the first thing I do with any installation, which is to set some preferences in Synaptic, and it broke. I must be the only LMDE user who sets that particular option. :D

Thanks again for your replies.. they confirmed that it worked for others and that it should work.

Bob

Return to “LMDE Archive”