How to make Bootable USB Pendrive for mint 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepus

How to make Bootable USB Pendrive for mint 10

Post by deepus »

Hi my netbook does not have a cd drive so i was trying to install mint 10 into it by making a usb pendrive bootable. But unetbootin and pendrive linux does not have options for mint 10( only till mint 9). How do I make a USB drive bootable (ultimately i plan to run mint 10 from the usb). Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daquirm

Re: How to make Bootable USB Pendrive for mint 10

Post by daquirm »

Hi,

I believe that I did that with unetbootin by manually selecting the iso. But here's a great tool to do that at http://liveusb.info/dotclear/

in mint add this to your repository:
deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main

then run in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install multisystem
Then run multisystem, download the Mint ISO and just drag and drop it to the window of multisystem. Previsously you have to have your USB pendrive mounted of course...

Hope this will help...
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

If you're running Windows use Linux Live USB creator. Very simple program to use.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download
manuleka

Post by manuleka »

i just installed my mint onto my netbook last week...

i used the universal usb installer on windows xp http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/ and a downloaded mint 10 iso... its quite simple really

at first i keep getting error when trying to create the bootable usb, then i re-downloaded the iso and everything worked fine... :)
deepus

Post by deepus »

Thanks for the replies. I will try out these. I made the pendrive bootable with unetbootin but could not install it into another pendrive from it. May the file i downloaded is not correct. I will re download it tonight and try.
manuleka

Post by manuleka »

deepus wrote:Thanks for the replies. I will try out these. I made the pendrive bootable with unetbootin but could not install it into another pendrive from it. May the file i downloaded is not correct. I will re download it tonight and try.
yes try re-downloading... i spent a whole day trying to figure out why my pen-drive wouldn't install mint, so i thought i'd re-download and ka-boom :) let us know if you problem was fixed
deepus

Solved Thank you

Post by deepus »

I downloaded the mint iso again and tried unetbootin. It worked well ! Thanks very much to all. In fact when i used the previous file to install it was getting stuck repeatedly at the copying of certain file. (during the process of copying the files before installation.). Strangely it was getting stuck at the same file when I made a bootable dvd with that iso and tried to install using a usb dvd drive. So that i think is one of the symptoms of a bad iso file. After redownloading the iso i could install from a pendrive easily
manuleka

Re: Solved Thank you

Post by manuleka »

deepus wrote:I downloaded the mint iso again and tried unetbootin. It worked well ! Thanks very much to all. In fact when i used the previous file to install it was getting stuck repeatedly at the copying of certain file. (during the process of copying the files before installation.). Strangely it was getting stuck at the same file when I made a bootable dvd with that iso and tried to install using a usb dvd drive. So that i think is one of the symptoms of a bad iso file. After redownloading the iso i could install from a pendrive easily
it pays to do a signature check after download before proceeding any futher :)
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

daquirm wrote:Hi,

I believe that I did that with unetbootin by manually selecting the iso. But here's a great tool to do that at http://liveusb.info/dotclear/

in mint add this to your repository:
deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main

then run in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install multisystem
Then run multisystem, download the Mint ISO and just drag and drop it to the window of multisystem. Previsously you have to have your USB pendrive mounted of course...

Hope this will help...
I followed these instructions. Two entries appeared in the Mint menu, "Multisystem VirtualBox Test" And "Multisytem" When I click on the first one nothing happens, when click on the second one a gtk-dialog that says "Multisystem" runs indefinitely.
Is there a gpg key for this repo?
gn2

Post by gn2 »

deepus wrote:~ unetbootin and pendrive linux does not have options for mint 10 ~
You can use Unetbootin to create a Mint 10 one by first downloading the Mint 10 .iso then in Unetbootin select the Diskimage option then click the button to the right with the three dots on it and browse to the downloaded .iso

cristobal

Post by cristobal »

I tried unetbootin. It doesn't work. Maybe because I am trying to install LMDE not Linux Mint 10.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

It worked for me.
Have you installed p7zip-full yet?
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

gn2 wrote:It worked for me.
Yes I have. I get a "Boot Error" message when I try to boot from a usb drive made with unetbootin. As near I can figure this is because syslinix.cfg is pointing to a boot image that is'nt there. It has never worked for me no matter which distro I'm trying to install. But thanks for the encouragement.
What I would really like to know is, how to use Multisystem to make bootable usb drive.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

cristobal wrote:
gn2 wrote:It worked for me.
Yes I have. I get a "Boot Error" message when I try to boot from a usb drive made with unetbootin. As near I can figure this is because syslinix.cfg is pointing to a boot image that is'nt there. It has never worked for me no matter which distro I'm trying to install. But thanks for the encouragement.
What I would really like to know is, how to use Multisystem to make bootable usb drive.

Are you sure it installed to the pendrive? You sometimes need to make sure it's pointing to the right usb device, mine has gone to install to my usb exernal hard drive if I'm not careful, and make sure it's pointed at the right device. I've used unetbootin with both LMDE and Mint 10 with no probs.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

I never knew of multisystem. Thanks for the info!
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

Pranaone wrote:I never knew of multisystem. Thanks for the info!
Good luck with it. Multisystem doesn't work for me.
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

Midnighter wrote:
Are you sure it installed to the pendrive? You sometimes need to make sure it's pointing to the right usb device, mine has gone to install to my usb exernal hard drive if I'm not careful, and make sure it's pointed at the right device. I've used unetbootin with both LMDE and Mint 10 with no probs.
I only have the one usb thumb drive.
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

This is how it is done for non-hybrid.iso images like LMDE:

http://salinelinux.proboards.com/index. ... &thread=24
Last edited by cristobal on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi deepus!
Please read my HOWTO: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 38#p360138 (LMDE)
With PartedMagic/ UNetbootin it is no problem to install Julia on USB; I just did it - analogical.
seeley
cristobal

Post by cristobal »

seeley wrote:Hi deepus!
Please read my HOWTO: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 38#p360138 (LMDE)
With PartedMagic/ UNetbootin it is no problem to install Julia on USB; I just did it - analogical.
seeley
I think Deepus wants to know how to make a bootable USB drive with Linuxmint , not how to install Linuxmint from a bootable USB drive.
Last edited by cristobal on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”