[SOLVED] What's missing in LDME to support RS232 in WINE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
PeggySue

[SOLVED] What's missing in LDME to support RS232 in WINE?

Post by PeggySue »

A while back I raised a post regarding serial ports (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ap#p370886 because I thought the version of Wine I was using was failing to talk to the serial port on LDME. Things have moved on and I am now convinced I was looking in the wrong area!

My Window$ program called Memory Map works fine with WINE on Mint 8, Mint 9 and Ubuntu 10.04 but it won't talk to my serial GPS under LMDE. I have tried this with version 1.1, 1.2.2 and 1.3 of WINE and the results are the same: everything works on Mint and all but the serial GPS works on LMDE. It reports can't open com1:.

QUESTION: Does anyone have any ideas what might be missing in LMDE compared with Mint?? I know the kernel has gone from 2.6.32 to 2.6.35 but don't know if that should make a difference.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dante19992

Re: What's missing in LDME to support RS232 in WINE?

Post by dante19992 »

i had similar problems with WINE. are you getting an error box with a bunck of random characters? if so i assume the program your using may connect through the internet and use HTML? if so i think it may be an issue with WINE-gecko. i tried installing multiple programs using wine from the frickelplatz repo that used internet connection and none of them worked. are you getting an error box with a bunck of random characters? then again i may be completely wrong. i just know all of those programs i tried worked in LM10 julia. unfortunately i never figured out how to fix it and went back to the main edition
PeggySue

Re: What's missing in LDME to support RS232 in WINE?

Post by PeggySue »

I don't get a bunch of random characters, just a text error message " Can't open Com1:".
My program doesn't use the internet it's just a digital mapping program with connections to a printer (for map output) and the GPS (for track input).
WineHQ gives recommendations on the version of Geko to use with each version of Wine and I had the right one.

Thanks for the input. I'm sure there must be other folks using Wine in LMDE. Here's hoping!
PeggySue

Re: [SOLVED] What's missing in LDME to support RS232 in WINE

Post by PeggySue »

The answer is in the handbook!

http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guid ... ure#AEN718

Some earlier versions must have recognized com1 on RS232 by default. For other versions and USB to serial adapters find the appropriate port in /dev and make a symbolic link to it as per the handbook. E.g. in ~/.wine/dosdevices

Code: Select all

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 com1
for a USB to serial adapter.

Return to “LMDE Archive”