VirtualBox connection with hardware

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Amontgomery

VirtualBox connection with hardware

Post by Amontgomery »

I wasn't sure where to put this, and as it may be a simple question to some of you, I decided to put it here.

I have VirtualBox installed running Windows XP, everything boots and runs fine in the VirtualBox. The problem is I can't get Windows to recognize various pieces of hardware (think USB drives, iPods, CD/DVD drives). There are a few programs in Windows that I need (a specific program or two for work). I would also like to be able to sync my iTouch with an iTunes account to be able to add music that I have downloaded from other places than iTunes.

I assume that I am missing some drivers needed for the OS in VB to recognize various pieces of hardware. Anyone know which ones?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: VirtualBox connection with hardware

Post by jungle_boy »

I think that the best way to use xp or Linux Mint is a dual boot...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

How did you install virtualbox? Its probably best to go to the Virtualbox website and download the most up-to-date one, last I heard was the one in the repositories did not support USB devices yet.

Also have you installed guest additions? Once you have updated your virtualbox, whilst your XP is running, goto "Devices" in the virtualbox menu and select install guest additions, it should then show as a CD in XP, just go and install them and reboot and see if that has any effect.
Amontgomery

Post by Amontgomery »

I downloaded the PUEL(download from website, not from "software manager") version of VB and configured the permissions under "users".

I am about to go try Guest Additions to see what effect that will have, I will update when I see how it does.

Luckily I have 3 machines to play around on so I can try stuff on one and type on this one. BTW, SSD+Mint10 is perhaps the best combination I have ever seen.
Amontgomery

Post by Amontgomery »

I just installed Guest Additions and it still does not work.

I am using an old computer and it's back-up WinXP boot disk to try this out to test the concept, so it isn't crucial that I get it done right now, though access to iTunes would be nice as I have a few songs I have downloaded that I would like to add to my playlist.
vmeiste

Post by vmeiste »

Did you add your user id to the 'vboxusers' group? I had to do this manually. The setup for VirtualBox didn't do it automatically.

Vince
Amontgomery

Post by Amontgomery »

I did add my username to the vboxusers. That was the first thing I tried.

That as well as Guest Additions and even as simple as selecting the individual USB device in the Vbox settings. I will probably end up just partitioning and dual booting for the very few times I need windows (may do OSX instead).

If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know. I would like to be able to run everything from a Linux OS (using Windows for programs that are required for certain things and using Linux for everything else)
deleted

Post by deleted »

I gave up on VB when I couldn't (well just plug in the usb bluetooth dongle) and have it recognized by a vm guest. I run vmplayer with no problems. Just plug in the usb doo-dad and vmplayer will pass it on to the guest (after asking me if that's what I wan to do).
-Hinto
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

If you haven't reformatted yet, here's how to get USB working with VirtualBox:

i. Install the latest version of VB from the website
ii. Install the VirtualBox Extension Pack (This is essential and probably what you did not do)
iii. Add yourself to vbox users
iv. Log out and log back in to your session (to activate the change to the groups)

You should then be able to access USB devices from your VM.

S
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
Amontgomery

Post by Amontgomery »

I did get the Extension pack and I have pretty much followed those instructions to the letter. The Extension Pack was something I did right when I installed Vbox itself, as I saw it below the link to download vbox and how it mentioned "adds USB compatibility"

I have yet to try VMplayer, I'll check it out.

Return to “Beginner Questions”