The Floodgates Have Opened

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

The Floodgates Have Opened

Post by tdockery97 »

Just got 186 updates for LMDE :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
psych1610

Re: The Floodgates Have Opened

Post by psych1610 »

Let me know how it goes! I'm sitting here, staring, at my 224 but am forcing myself to wait until after I clone this. Just in case.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

psych1610 wrote:Let me know how it goes! I'm sitting here, staring, at my 224 but am forcing myself to wait until after I clone this. Just in case.
All done and my laptop didn't explode. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

189 - no problems at all as far as I can see :D

edit: ref below, "Replace" chosen each time.
Last edited by GSXR750L on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

I'm courius what dith you do whit the etc/sudo question keep or replace i dith keep.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Did not update for a while

So I had 342.

1. Use Clonezilla to clone 30G LMDE partition to another new 31G partition
2. Amend Grub legacy to chainload to new 31G partition, tested working.
3. Run on new 31G LMDE as a play ground.
4. Install 342 packages, upto level 5, take all...
5. Reboot, worked!! :D :mrgreen: :D

Did this as well
~ $ uname -a
Linux i3 2.6.37-0.dmz.7-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 31 02:37:44 CST 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Last edited by wayne128 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axxer

Post by axxer »

i got 174 updates(bcoz i'm using lmde with xfce, with all gnome related removed). got my 1st glitch, blueman cannot start with dbus error. googling brings me to this http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/bug- ... 03702.html
turns out that i need to add myself to "bluetooth" group. its wierd because i think with previous blueman version i doesn't even add myself to bluetooth group yet it works flawlessly :lol: :lol:
phubai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phubai »

kruijf wrote:I'm courius what dith you do whit the etc/sudo question keep or replace i dith keep.
I was tempted to change, but, like you, I elected to "keep" installed.
ThinkPad X61 - MacBook Pro - HPmini 311 - Dell D60
~/phubai - Fleming Island, FL
phubai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phubai »

Deleted...somehow double posted. My bad.
Last edited by phubai on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkPad X61 - MacBook Pro - HPmini 311 - Dell D60
~/phubai - Fleming Island, FL
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Glad to see so many successful updates around these parts!
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

kruijf wrote:I'm courius what dith you do whit the etc/sudo question keep or replace i dith keep.
I accept (replace) on that question.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

I am a Mint Debian newbie.

I am running Mint Debian 64 bit.
Only real modifications are the latest Liquorix kernel
Running Nvidia 195 drivers, compiz, Google earth, Google Chrome Beta, and I had installed plymouth.

I have TWO installations of Debian. One expressly to experiment with first, before changing anything on my main Mint Debian.

Early this morning I did all the Level 1-3 updates before the floodgates opned. There were just a few.

Just now I found the new "testing" updates had become available, and decided to download ALL of the level 1 -2 -3. There were a LOT. 229 on my secondary Mint Debian install. Most were level 3 updates. All went well. Only one minor hitch. I went to reboot, I hit the restart button, and my gnome panel "dissapeared"? It did not reboot. I waited and waited, nothing. Alt+f2 did not work. I took a chance and hit the "reboot" button on my computer, and it booted back up just fine, everything funtioning. Nvidia working. Compiz working.

Only problem is that “suspend” no longer seems to be working?

I checked all the level 4 and 5 updates, and there actually seems to be nothing “new” there since yesterday.

Edit.

I just "checked" the level 4 and 5 updates. I did NOT "install" any of them.
kruijf wrote:
I'm courius what dith you do whit the etc/sudo question keep or replace i dith keep.

Not sure, so I kept the old

Edit #2

After a 2nd reboot, suspend now seems to be working again. So it appears that all the new updates (level 1-3, did not break anything.)
Last edited by GeneC on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
moulari

Post by moulari »

203 Updates an so far everything works fine
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm no updates for me - the austrian mirror mmust be behind
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

I must be on the short bus because I only had 27'ish updates this morning.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well, this is just my theory, rubbish it if you want, I don't care, I will continue to stand by it.

When you are offered a choice to keep or replace a config file - Always, Always choose replace.

You have to look at it from the point of view of a package maintainer. There are probably a million and one edits that you can do to his config file. Can he test them all? Can he test even 1% of them? No is the answer. So he can never guarantee that his new package will work with your old config file. He can however always guarantee that his new package will work with his new config file (or he shouldn't be offering it for use). This is the same argument that befalls those who insist on having separate /home folders (instead of /data folders) and not allowing them to be updated by new installs. This will never be guaranteed to work. It might work, in many cases it will work (browsers are remarkably resilient in this respect), but overall it is a bad strategy (imho).

The intense desire to 'keep' is understandable, you have configured your computer that way you want it and you don't want to have that altered. Neither do I. When I was offered the choices above, the first thing I did was to click the line that said 'view differences'. The additions have a + symbol by them and the removals have a - symbol. If you see that any of the - lines are things that you have personally added (in my case they were) then make a note of them and try adding them back again later (having backed up the original file first). If they continue to work you keep them if they fail you revert to your backup.

This makes sense to me but I am sure some of you will see it differently.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

viking777 wrote:When I was offered the choices above, the first thing I did was to click the line that said 'view differences'. The additions have a + symbol by them and the removals have a - symbol. If you see that any of the - lines are things that you have personally added (in my case they were) then make a note of them and try adding them back again later (having backed up the original file first). If they continue to work you keep them if they fail you revert to your backup.
I usually accept the package maintainer's changes, but when in doubt, I do what viking777 said here.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Well that was uneventful. I has 200+ updates for levels 1-5 and installed all. No faults whatsoever. Back to relaxation.
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

successfully completed about 200 updates without any issues. I chose "replace" when asked.
axxer

Post by axxer »

viking777 wrote:Well, this is just my theory, rubbish it if you want, I don't care, I will continue to stand by it.

When you are offered a choice to keep or replace a config file - Always, Always choose replace.

You have to look at it from the point of view of a package maintainer. There are probably a million and one edits that you can do to his config file. Can he test them all? Can he test even 1% of them? No is the answer. So he can never guarantee that his new package will work with your old config file. He can however always guarantee that his new package will work with his new config file (or he shouldn't be offering it for use). This is the same argument that befalls those who insist on having separate /home folders (instead of /data folders) and not allowing them to be updated by new installs. This will never be guaranteed to work. It might work, in many cases it will work (browsers are remarkably resilient in this respect), but overall it is a bad strategy (imho).

The intense desire to 'keep' is understandable, you have configured your computer that way you want it and you don't want to have that altered. Neither do I. When I was offered the choices above, the first thing I did was to click the line that said 'view differences'. The additions have a + symbol by them and the removals have a - symbol. If you see that any of the - lines are things that you have personally added (in my case they were) then make a note of them and try adding them back again later (having backed up the original file first). If they continue to work you keep them if they fail you revert to your backup.

This makes sense to me but I am sure some of you will see it differently.
a wise advise indeed :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”