Linux Mint 10 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vu2ikl

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by vu2ikl »

can anyone post the official torrent file for downloading the LMKDE 10?
thanks in advance..

EDIT: got the torrent file on http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1657
Last edited by vu2ikl on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zole052

Post by zole052 »

Everithing is great except for two things:
1. when a new application is installed don't appear in lancelot menu
2. screensaver starts when watching a movie in vlc
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

(Note: See signature for PC specs)

I also posted this in another thread* but I thought it should be posted here as well. Just a first impression if you will.

* http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 27&start=0

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Booting into the LiveDVD went well although I'm not sure having full desktop effects enabled by default is such a good idea. Some PC's (desktops and mobile) may experience a problem with that until the proprietary video driver is installed. Just a personal opinion though.

For me the install went very well (custom partition, formatting, etc--no problems) with the exception of some GUI anomalies (break up of dimmed background, dialog box fragmentation around edges). This may be due to the Nouveau driver which I've never been impressed with.

Upon the first installation reboot overall performance seemed a bit sluggish considering the specs of my desktop but after the updates were applied, the proprietary Nvidia driver installed (the "Recommended" driver, not the one from the x-swat ppa) and after a couple of reboots, things became more snappy. Had one problem with Plasma freezing up at random times without throwing an error which I also experienced with Kubuntu upgraded to KDE 4.6 and Pardus 2011 with KDE 4.5.5. Disabling "Blur" in "Desktop Effects" solved the problem. Obviously a bug in KDE rather than Mint.

By the way, YouTube videos play just fine in full screen using the "recommended" Nvidia driver although I might try the updated driver from the x-swat ppa since this is just a test install and I can putz around with it.

Now here's a rather annoying one. In the past in KDE, Synaptic never adhered to system font settings leaving the fonts in the Synaptic application too tiny to read comfortably or not at all for folks with poor eyesight. However, this problem was easily overcome since custom font settings for both the Package Manager and the Package Manager terminal can be set within Synaptic itself via it's settings. With LM 10 KDE RC this no longer works. Not only does Synaptic ignore system font settings but also ignores it's own custom font settings as well so the application's fonts remain tiny. I have no idea how to fix this unfortunately.

On the same note, the fonts used in MintUpdate also do not adhere to system font settings making them too tiny to read comfortably. I can't clearly recall if the MintUpdate fonts were tied to the Synaptic custom font settings in the past but I believe they were. In fact, it appears that the none of the fonts in any of the Mint tools adhere to the system font settings as far as I can see.

Oh, and I ditched the Lancelot menu for the old Kicker style. Just personal preference on my part since Lancelot and I never got along very well. If only the MintMenu could be adapted to KDE. Not complaining, just dreaming. :D

And of course, Plymouth looks horrible with the Nvidia driver installed, even worse than LM 10 Main Editon (even with the Startup Manager set at 1024x768 and 24 bit color) but that's hardly Mint's fault.

Otherwise the RC is very impressive, stable and easy on the eye. A fine job and an excellent implementation all around.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Ok my bad. :oops:
so update the repo listings, install mint-meta-kde(64) and do an upgrade.
apt update
apt install mint-meta-kde
or
apt install mint-meta-kde64

then upgrade any way you like: apt, synaptic, aptitude, mintUpdate..
:twisted:
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Boo wrote:Ok my bad. :oops:
so update the repo listings, install mint-meta-kde(64) and do an upgrade.
apt update
apt install mint-meta-kde
or
apt install mint-meta-kde64

then upgrade any way you like: apt, synaptic, aptitude, mintUpdate..
:twisted:
Boo, forgive me for being dense but there's no upgrade available for apt, synaptic or aptitude. MintUpdate updated via...er... MintUpdate last night (US EST). I installed "mint-meta-kde64" after your first post about it yesterday by the way. Does apt, synaptic, aptitude need to be updated in some way that I'm not seeing?

Update: Okay, so I'm an idiot. Next time I should not only read your post but attempt to comprehend it as well. Please disregard my reply. :roll:
Last edited by kmb42vt on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
olligod

Post by olligod »

zole052 wrote:Everithing is great except for two things:
1. when a new application is installed don't appear in lancelot menu
After the next login, the new app will appear.

EDIT: I had another issue here about logout/relogin not working. I 've put that in a separate post now.
Last edited by olligod on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
doubled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doubled »

Self-built, 2-year old desktop AMD Athlon 6000+ dual core
4 MB RAM
Asus M3A78-EM system board
ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics made by XFX

Nice work on this KDE Mint 10 x86_64 RC. Here are some observations:
1. As with all other distros I've hopped (Mandriva, Kubuntu, Fedora, and a stellar Pardus 2011) Amarok hiccups for about 1/2 second every minute or so when streaming audio from a radio station. (I think it's a buffer problem that Amarok needs to fix.) The tradition continues in Mint, so I've finally stopped banging my head against a wall and switched to Audacious -- smooth streaming now!
2. As others have documented, added programs don't appear on Lancelot until a logout/login. Thought Lancelot is better than all that clicking back and forth in Kickoff, I've switched to the traditional menu. It's old, as am I, but it's better . . . .
3. The authentication window tends to rise behind the Software Manager window and fully hidden from view. Not every time, but almost. Fortunately, there is a notification in the panel that authentication is needed. Can't tell you how long I waited for something to happen in Fedora before looking behind the window to find the authentication dialog.
4. VLC crashed the first several times I tried to open a file from the Media menu item. Eventually, and after several episodes of this pattern, I waited until the freeze thawed and all works now.
5. Can we have yawp in the repository?
6. Although I have installed normalize-audio, K3b does not know it's there. Clicking the option yields the advice that I should install it.
7. When I get nerve, I'll install the available proprietary ATI driver. I hesitate because of negative experience with Mint 9 KDE on this machine. Each time I installed it, a reboot would fail to load X, leaving me with a post-login blank screen.

Hope all this is constructive.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Repos and Packages using deb.
The words update and upgrade get interchanged a lot when it come to deb packages and repos.
An update is updating (downloading) the list of debs in your repo cache or what is available to you via your enabled repos.
An upgrade will install the latest version of the apps installed on your system that it finds in your enabled repos.
There is also a dist-upgrade when upgrading between OS versions, eg mint 9 to mint 10 or Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04.

I hope this clears things up.
Cheers
Jamie
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
red123

Post by red123 »

I have no idea why, but my taskbar panel transparency effect turns on if I go to Desktop Effect and clicked on suspend desktop effect and then resume it. Seems like I need to restart plasma for it to work. I need to do this on everyone bootup, any ideas?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Boo wrote:Repos and Packages using deb.
The words update and upgrade get interchanged a lot when it come to deb packages and repos.
An update is updating (downloading) the list of debs in your repo cache or what is available to you via your enabled repos.
An upgrade will install the latest version of the apps installed on your system that it finds in your enabled repos.
There is also a dist-upgrade when upgrading between OS versions, eg mint 9 to mint 10 or Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04.

I hope this clears things up.
Cheers
Jamie
Boo, I completely misread your line, "then upgrade any way you like: apt, synaptic, aptitude, mintUpdate..". A real brain fart moment to be sure. Really, I'm not that dense...really...I'm not. It's the snow you see, as in too much of it. I had just gotten through shoveling out our 330 gallon propane tank that was buried under 4+ feet of snow when I replied to your comment and should have known better. Sorry about that.
olligod

Post by olligod »

Unable to re-login without reboot, having used the blue button to logout from KDE

The "logout - login" sequence (without a reboot) turned out to be a problem in my case.
On 4 of 4 attempts, X was not able to relaunch after logout (choosing the BLUE button when ending KDE session...), with no login prompt either, which essentially forced a reboot. That is probably a bug I would think.

The logout issue (system gets stuck) happened 100% of the time in the setup here (see below). I filed a bug report.
#715614 in launchpadhttps://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/715614, with screenshot.
No matter whether I am a "no-know" or not, a system must not just get "stuck" after logout.

Environment: Mint-10-KDE64 running in a Virtualbox-4.0.0 virtual machine, guest additions orderly installed and running,
(host-OS = Mint-9-64 on AMD-Dual-Core Desktop, NVidia GeForce 8600)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

olligod wrote:Unable to re-login without reboot, having used the blue button to logout from KDE
I filed a bug report.
#715614 in launchpad https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/715614
Happens in the 32-bit version as well. Worked around it by using CTRL+ALT+F1, logging in and then startx. :(
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

smsmith wrote:
olligod wrote:Unable to re-login without reboot, having used the blue button to logout from KDE
I filed a bug report.
Happens in the 32-bit version as well. Worked around it by using CTRL+ALT+F1, logging in and then startx. :(
I saw the same problem with logout a few times after initial installation (LM 10 KDE 64 bit) although it was not consistent. Installing the proprietary video Nvidia helped some but not completely. But since I updated to the latest kernel offered in Synaptic and added the xswat ppa: ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates (updates the default "Recommended" Nvidia driver from 260 to 270 as well as certain X components plus a few other things), the problem seems to have disappeared. I'm not saying that this is a sure cure but it appears to have worked so far. The OS seems a bit more snappier as well.

I just noticed you were running Nvidia graphics which is why I mentioned upgrading the driver. Of course having the OS installed into VirtualBox, this above solution may not work.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

kmb42vt wrote:
smsmith wrote:
I filed a bug report.
I just noticed you were running Nvidia graphics which is why I mentioned upgrading the driver. Of course having the OS installed into VirtualBox, this above solution may not work.
Actually, I've got one of those unsupported ATI cards, so I am using the radeon driver (open source). I'll probably do a kernel upgrade and a driver upgrade (if there's one available) some time soon, but I am first debating whether or not to use the 64-bit version instead.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

smsmith wrote:Actually, I've got one of those unsupported ATI cards, so I am using the radeon driver (open source). I'll probably do a kernel upgrade and a driver upgrade (if there's one available) some time soon, but I am first debating whether or not to use the 64-bit version instead.
Actually I noticed that adding the xswat ppa I mentioned in my previous reply also included an updated ATI driver so both the updated Kernel and the xswat upgrades might help?
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

The installer wouldn't stop downloading all of the useless language packs no matter how many times I tried, and it was
VERY slow. Took almost 45 minutes to install.

On window re-sizing, you can't drag a window side. You can only get a hold on the bottom corner, and even that is very difficult
which make re-sizing slow and difficult.

When using system settings (changing) font size was fine, then downloading themes for the panel went fine. But when I tried to
get new icon themes, nothing would download. I tried three or four themes but none would download, so I closed it, then exited
system settings and tried to open Amarok and the whole system froze. I had to do a hard restart. Then I clicked on Firefox and the system froze. Had to do a hard restart. Then Thunderbird...same thing. Everything I tried to open froze the system.

I put Mint 9 KDE back and did the three hundred something updates and my usual tweaks and now, I again have the best linux system ever made. 8) Don't know if it's Mint 10, KDE 4.6, or both, but it isn't even close to being ready.
A new version of a distro should be at least as good as the previous version and this one has a long way to go before it can touch
Mint 9
Siva Suresh

Post by Siva Suresh »

Hi

After the release of Mint10 Julia RC, I tried to installing it on top of Mint 10.

I got a strange problem. I added the Mint Julia KDE repos to my repository list. But I installed LibreOffice complely removing OpenOffice from my Mint installation.
Now, when I am trying to install Mint Julia KDE, it says unresolvable dependancy rerror with openoffice.org-java-common.

How do I remove this dependancy from Mint Julia KDE? I don't want to revert back to OpenOffice, at the same time I want to install all Mint KDE packages, except OpenOffice..

Please suggest me
olligod

Post by olligod »

smsmith wrote:
I filed a bug report.
Nope, will not work; since that gives you an alternative login prompt of your host system not guest system.
Besides, that is of course an "emergency only" workaround, is it not a "gentle" solution (still - better than nothing of course on systems where applicable)
An orderly power down via ACPI does also work in the "stuck situation" described though and will give you a proper state after a new boot:
Press the computer's "soft main switch" on the front for no more than a couple seconds. (Do not use any hard switch at the power supply for this - that last resort shouldn't be necessary).
The virtualbox also has an equivalent to trigger an ACPI event for the guest system.

By the way - if anybody tries CTRL+ALT+F1 - the way back to your graphical system (if applicable) would be CTRL+ALT+F7 :D
kmb42vt wrote: Installing the proprietary video Nvidia helped some but not completely... the problem seems to have disappeared. I'm not saying that this is a sure cure but it appears to have worked so far. The OS seems a bit more snappier as well.
That's right - a virtualbox has a "virtual innotek graphics card" (you may list devices by typing lspci on any linux system) which the OS installed on it sees.
It does not see the NVidia or ATI your host runs.
That virtual graphics card also has a proprietary driver which is installed with the so called "guest additions".

...and the MORE I read and write in the forums about peoples' experiences with M10KDE, the happier I am that right now I have it confined in a virtualbox :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It looks like, if at all, I will give KDE-4.6.1 or 4.6.2 a shot on a production machine some time after the stable release of M10KDE
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

olligod wrote:
smsmith wrote:
I filed a bug report.
Nope, will not work; since that gives you an alternative login prompt of your host system not guest system.
Besides, that is of course an "emergency only" workaround, is it not a "gentle" solution (still - better than nothing of course on systems where applicable)
That explains why the system ran like "poop" afterwards. Thanks for that! :D
olligod

Post by olligod »

smsmith wrote:
olligod wrote:
smsmith wrote: Happens in the 32-bit version as well. Worked around it by using CTRL+ALT+F1, logging in and then startx. :(
By the way - if anybody tries CTRL+ALT+F1 - the way back to your graphical system (if applicable) would be CTRL+ALT+F7
That explains why the system ran like "poop" afterwards. Thanks for that! :D
You are most welcome :D
There are 7 (seven) TTY's built in - alternative interfaces; mostly we ever use one (TTY7, don't ask me why THIS one...) which is then taken over by X session.
If you switch to another (try CTRL+ALT+F2 vor "variation" :wink: ) then the other ones are still there - and possibly using up resources.

But this option is really great in case of an emergency. If you are stuck text-only that can come VERY handy.

Return to “Software & Applications”