Trying the "not" Linux...BSD

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Trying the "not" Linux...BSD

Post by psycosmyth »

This is my first foray into BSD. PCBSD 1.4
So far..so good
The installer for the packages is insanely easy and it is just a tad faster than Linux.
I'm sure many of you have given it a try as well; what did you think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dracorX

tried it

Post by dracorX »

I tried it some time ago, but quitted again, due to some issues with my favorite software packages.

Having VBox now, however, and reading your post, I do think I'll try it again ;-)

(nearly forgot it existed, thanks for mentionning)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I tested older versions and also DesktopBSD and NetBSD Live 2007. I did not have problems with them, they are pretty good even perhaps if I prefer DesktopBSD at PC-BSD (and I do not like their .PBI idea)

BSD is very good, maybe still less user-friendly but with PC-BSD and DesktopBSD that changes somewhat. :D

I will always keep an eye on the developments of the BSD world… 8)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psycosmyth »

:twisted:
:roll: :shock:
Well that sucked. I had it perfect. X11 just dumped.
My laptop's video is not supported well with 1.4
Oh well. it was quite nice to see good old bootstrap again
I am playing with Xubuntu6.10 again since it takes quite some time to boot mint on my box. Of course I hit the Mint repositories first thing. 8)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

PCBSD is among my favorite desktop OS. It's a very innovative project, their designers work fast and every release is more impressive than the previous one. If somebody said Linux Mint is the PCBSD of Linux I'd take it as a compliment.

By the way, I was inspired by the great PBIdir while designing mintInstall and the software portal. I haven't tried 1.4 yet but it looks pretty good.

Clem

Return to “Chat about Linux”