Excellent

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shepherd

Excellent

Post by Shepherd »

I just want to say that this is my second day on Linux Mint 10 (gnome). I'm very very very very very very happy.

My conversion to Linux started with me despising the direction of macrohard (microsoft) and their windows os (as well as big brother & capitalism).

First I was disgusted with how programs I installed would on their own install background processes to speed up initial running of their program, to regularly check for updates, and even spyware, adware, etc. Also, my system was regularly getting infected with viruses because of autorun batch files on usb sticks that friends/family would plug into my desktop (and even Norton wouldn't stop them). ms office would also install processes (I forget the name of the worst process) as well as Realplayer, adobe, etc. all of them would bog down my system with unnecessary processes.

First I decided to install Ubuntu 10.10, because it appeared to be the most popular Linux distribution. I liked it, but I didn't like the look of it on my system so much. I prefer a more simplistic look. I saw articles recommending Linux Mint due to its simpler/nicer look, as well as for being more user friendly.

I installed it and I like it a lot.

I'm a former computer programmer, although I haven't done any computer programming for almost 5 years. So I've basically forgotten how to program, but I know enough about computers to get myself out of a problem.

The only thing that I found annoying is the problems I had to face because of my video card. Its kind of annoying having to change to nomodeset during the install then booting into failsafe after first boot. Then downloading the nvidia drivers, then rebooting again rather than just doing a simple install. I wish it was easier. I admit though that I had the same problem (upstream) when trying to install Ubuntu.

I also wish somethings were installed by default.

By the way, do I make these suggestions on the forums or in "ideas" on the Linux Mint website?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Excellent

Post by DrHu »

Shepherd wrote:The only thing that I found annoying is the problems I had to face because of my video card. Its kind of annoying having to change to nomodeset during the install then booting into failsafe after first boot. Then downloading the nvidia drivers, then rebooting again rather than just doing a simple install
That is likely to be the ongoing problem within the Linux world, although it should improve in time (year by year), as more companies see the value in getting that other than MS %users available to them
  • If they have the interest or are not constrained by Ms Contracts..
    Dell for example, won't likely offer a Linux computers, even if they can, since it would put them at cross-purposes with their major OS supplier, Microsoft
As to the suggestions, check the categories/forum sections available and some posts to decide where to place a posting
www.linuxmint.com
--In my case, I usually only check the questions/answers area, this one for new questions..
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome to the Mint forums and community Shepherd. I am glad you are mostly enjoying the OS.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to Linux Mint Shepherd. In addition to these forums, be sure to check out our IRC channels for real-time chat and help. Just open XChat in the Mint Menu and you will be taken directly to the channels #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help. See you there.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to Linux Mint and the forum!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome hope you find mint as enjoyable as i have [well so far]
ajt007

Post by ajt007 »

The-Wizard wrote:welcome hope you find mint as enjoyable as i have [well so far]
Welcome Shepherd!
I have moved around the Linux Distributions trying different additions but, I have always kept close to Mint. One of the first reviews I read said Mint does Ubuntu right and that was and is still true. I like Debian based distros and have used Debian. Why work that hard? Mint has done the work. I like the Gnome desktop and have not found anyone who does Gnome as well as Linux Mint. I keep all my important documents in Google Docs and my bookmarks on the web. Which means a rolling release is not important to me. I also use Pardus. For me Pardus offers the most appealing KDE desktop. Mint Gnome is my favorite. Mint’s approach to being based on Ubuntu has worked for me. I still test every new Ubuntu release. Dozens of new releases are now Ubuntu based.
Ubuntu made Debian friendly and Clem has taken Ubuntu and made it work, every time.
I have three desktops with Nvidia drivers and any problems are Linux problems but, that’s not a deal breaker. It’s a quick and easy fix and Linux is free with security built-in not added on.
I still remember how much time and money it took me to keep windows working. It’s good to see you here and you will enjoy it.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”