Flash 10.2 - actual hardware acceleration in 32 bit!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Flash 10.2 - actual hardware acceleration in 32 bit!

Post by TBABill »

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/adobe-fl ... rings.html#

The article says Adobe released Flash Player 10.2 for Linux with real support for hardware acceleration (if video card supports it) and the author claims CPU usage with Flash dropped on his quick test from 90% to 20-30% range. Unfortunately it's only available in 32 bit for now, but progress is progress and I'm sure 64 bit will support it soon enough.

Anyone tried it yet?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
voss749
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Flash 10.2 - actual hardware acceleration in 32 bit!

Post by voss749 »

This is interesting because 10.2 with hardware acceleration for 64 bit is the default for Mint Debian, albeit a preview release.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I know some users of 10.1 and 10.2 could right click a video and disable the hardware acceleration, although having it enabled didn't really do anything productive. Is the hardware acceleration in 64 bit beta actually working to reduce CPU usage similar to that mentioned in the article?
GregE

Post by GregE »

Just a few observations

As I understand it hardware acceleration is restricted to 32bit and only when using the nvidia propriety driver as it utilises vpdau as the interface.

I did try it and it worked with a cheap GT210 card, but apart from cpu usage drop it did not provide a better video experience than can be achieved with any fast computer running the normal flash. You can right click on a flash video and select hardware acceleration but unless you have an nvidia card, nvidia driver and 32 bit then it does not achieve anything.

For YouTube the best approach is to install Chrome and go to www.youtube.com/html5 and select join the html5 trial and watch the videos using WebM. That will work with any working video card and on 64bit systems.

Return to “Sound”