3 quick things that I need to fix under LMDE, Help please

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Flekain

3 quick things that I need to fix under LMDE, Help please

Post by Flekain »

Hello,
My Asus laptop is under LMDE 64bits since hum, several weeks, and I'm very happy with it.
I just need to fix 3 little problems and it'll be perfect :D

1] I would like to disable the quotation that appears every time I open a terminal. Isn't it something with fortune ? I think that uninstalling the right packages should work, but I don't know which they are actually.

2] When I plug my earphones, the built-in speakers aren't disabled. I had the same problem under Ubuntu and Archlinux. Adding the following line "options snd-hda-intel model=hp-laptop" to "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf" solved this on both Arch and Ubuntu, but it does not seem to work with LMDE.
The version of alsa-utils seems to be the same on Ubuntu, ArchLinux, and LMDE.
The version of the linux kernel changes depending on the distribution (LMDE = 2.6.32; Ubuntu 10.10 = 2.6.35; Ubuntu 10.04 = 2.6.32; ArchLinux = 2.6.37)
But I don't know, if it's related to the kernel because my sound worked as I wanted under Ubuntu 10.04 (which uses the same kernel as LMDE)

3] I would like to uses the latest version of chromium, and maybe a more recent kernel. How can I do that ?
At the beginning I thought that I would add the unstable repo of Debian, but the kernel is 2.6.32 if I saw correctly.

Thanks for your support, and continue to work on this very nice distribution :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: 3 quick things that I need to fix under LMDE, Help pleas

Post by Aging Technogeek »

1. Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/bash.bashrc
Enter your password when requested.

When the bash.bashrc file opens, scroll down until you find the line

/usr/bin/mint-fortune
Change it to read

#/usr/bin/mint-fortune
Save the changes, exit the file and close the terminal.

This will shut off the terminal fortunes.

I think 2 and 3 can both be solved by installing the Liquorix kernel from this site

http://liquorix.net/

Just follow the instructions in the Debian section.

You can get the latest version of Chromium here

http://packages.debian.org/sid/chromium-browser
Flekain

Post by Flekain »

Thanks for your reply Aging Technogeek.

First of all, the problem number one is solved, thanks to your solution.
But I still have the problems 2 and 3 to fix.

I read your solution, I tried, but I can't because I need to use Virtualbox, and apparently this kernel doesn't have the vboxdrv module included.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I run LMDE 64 with all of the Wheezy updates and the Liquorix 2.6.37 kernel myself. I just downloaded and installed Virtualbox 4.02 from this site

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads (make sure you get the Debian Squeeze AMD64 version)

and am at this moment installing LMDE 32 bit into it. If you are running an older version of Virtualbox, install the new repo address for Debian Squeeze AMD64 and the key . You should then be able to update to Virtualbox 4.02 via Synaptic or mintUpdate. Hope this works out for you.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

I just uninstalled the 3.2, and installed the 4.xx.

Thanks Aging,
Dave

Return to “LMDE Archive”