Hello all..

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oscar

Hello all..

Post by Oscar »

Well, I thought I'd say hello because my first post was in a different area where I had a question about GRUB. I got a really quick response from a few members. And they were very nice about answering my question and making me feel welcome and all.

So I look forward to interacting with this new-found community as I explore Mint and maybe other flavours of Linux.

Over the years I've dabbled a bit here and there in Linux Installs. I even had Yellow Dog on my PS 3 for a while. But I honestly never considered migrating to Linux as a sole OS, feeling that it wasn't quite right just yet.

Some months ago, I installed Ubuntu NBR on my Dell Mini 10v, and was very impressed to see how far Linux has come. Originally I had Ubuntu 9.04, and even though it was the netbook remix version, I preferred running it in Gnome. In the latest version of Ubuntu, I no longer have that option (at least not out of box), so I started looking for an alternative, and that's how I found Mint.

And oh boy do I love this OS.

I should say, my mini is a toy. It's a triple boot : XP/ OS X 10.6.4 / and Mint.

The machine I'm on now is a Compaq laptop that's only about a year and a half years old, but had become practically useless with Vista installed. I had re-installed the OS a few times, and still the issues persisted.

I've had Mint on this laptop about a week now, and it's like I've gotten a brand new machine!

Now this is certainly an OS I would consider as a sole OS. I even wonder how it would run on my Mac Pro.

I love how customisable it is. And everything worked out of box-- with the exception of wifi on my mini, and that was an easy fix. From watching video files to music to web surfing... everything just works. Firefox is great in this environment -- I don't use it anymore in Mac or Win, but it's my go-to browser in Linux.

I'm even able to stream video content from my Mac to this laptop with no problem!

I love how responsive Mint is. I love how I don't have to put up with having to run Vista any more. Of course having Wine is a great for the few applications I still have to run from the Windows world...

Overall my experience with Mint has been a joy.

I'm already dual-booting this machine..... no, not with win, but with Mint KDE 'cause I wanted to give that a try. KDE looks great. But unfortunately it's not running just right on this system (just yet, I'm sure the final release will be more polished).

Even though I will probably continue to check out different distros, I think Mint it where it's at. These guys are really doing it all just right.

Ok.

I won't ramble on.... any more. :mrgreen:

Cheers.

Oscar.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hello all..

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Oscar,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
jesica

Post by jesica »

hey, welcome to the forums
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint Community.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the forums

I too am experimenting with different distro's on different equipment, but after only a couple of weeks have decides to stick with mint 10 [64bit] on my main machine,the only thing i am finding now is that sites which i once thought were reasonably quick on connection/refresh speeds, I now seem to be waiting for them to catch up [oh the oblivion of the Dozz user]

enjoy
wizard
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Introduce Yourself”