Is LMDE working 100% for you?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
marlar
Level 2
Level 2

Is LMDE working 100% for you?

Post by marlar »

After using LMDE 64bit for one and a half months or so I am overall satisfied with it. It feels light and good and fast.

However, I have also problems with it. Mostly minor ones that are not really important, but still I am not sure I would recommend LMDE to new Linux users (but rather the Ubuntu based version).

The problems I experience are programs not working fully or correctly in LMDE. For example, when I right-click the dropbox icon and select "Launch Dropbox Website" nothing happens. That works fine under Mint 7 as I used before. Not a big deal, I can easily go to the site in my browser, but still...

Likewise, Screenlets doesn't not work correctly. For example the Tomboy screenlet, it just won't show my notes. So I tried in Mint 7 (which I cloned into a virtualbox image) and it works fine. Also, Tomboy does not start automatically in LMDE, I have to start it from the menu to make it appear in the panel.

There are several such cases, mostly of so little importance that I can't even remember the issues. I just wonder why it is like that. Could it be 64bit issues? I sometimes feel I did the wrong choice in installing 64bit, but it's hard to say since I don't know if the issues are the same with the 32bit version.

How about you? Does LMDE work 100% for you, or do you have issues too?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nemesis2all

Re: Is LMDE working 100% for you?

Post by nemesis2all »

LMDE 64 bit working well here. I tried right clicking on dropbox icon to launch the website and it opened no problem for me.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

My LMDE x64 (with upgraded kernel 2.6.37) and set to Debian 'testing' . . . works at 110%

I even tried all the things you posted about . . . they all work for me. 8)
zole052

Post by zole052 »

The only problem I have with LMDE is with vlc and the screensaver.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

I removed all mono stuff and installed gnotes, they work fine! I don't use VLC a lot, but basically everything's been working well for me.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

What's not to work - installed and everything just worked - updated almost daily, and has usurped Win 7 as my OS of choice (and as my default OS).
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
decalguy

Post by decalguy »

I've made the rounds Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu and Linux Mint and some things worked really well and some didn't, I can honestly say that with LMDE x64 everything works and works without me having to do much of anything. I am on a desktop HP m9250f as i don't have a laptop or a netbook.

Mike
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

So far, the only thing I can't get to work is Pipewalker. Funny thing a bout it is, it was working, now is crashes the system when I launch it.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Issues I have with LMDE are:

1.) Ctl+Alt+Delete wrongfully brings up system monitor (and I don't know how to fix it)

2.) foomatic-rip error on printing (posted on LMDE forum)

3.) Setting up Samba -- how?

4.) ufw configuation -- after setting up Samba

5.) printing via bluetooth
mjw1

Post by mjw1 »

a few issues here LMDE 64
hibernate not working,I get the button but the computer just shuts down
sometime on startup the menu panel and top gnome panel isn't there ,usually solved by ctrl/alt/backspace and logging in again
soundconverter not working ,it just freezes up
occasionally on startup I get 100% processor usage
update wont always notify of new updates unless I run it
and the latest wine from the repos has issues with most of my preferred audio apps including EAC which worked well in bunto 8.4
I still like it though

m
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm well personally I have had no problems at all - besides the ubuntu packages that keep out some dev packages from debian but oh well.

All other issues have either been caused by myself or are application bugs that come up on every plattform (for example that vlc doesn't disable the gnome screensaver - i think someone mentioned that here)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Seems to be 100% OK!
All level 1-5 updates (current).

I am running the latest Liquorix Kernel
Libreoffice
Plymouth
Nvidia 195 drivers, and compiz
Chromium 9.0
Google Earth
Changed PulseAudio to ALSA. (Didn't really see a problem with Pulse, but really don't use audio that much) ((OLD FART!)) ;)
Epson Stylus NX 510 Printer/Scanner (using AVASYS drivers)

Mint DEBIAN is the ONLY distro (and I've tried about 10+) where "suspend" works, and that is due to the Liquorix kernel.

As a "newbie" I was even hesitant to try Mint Debian, but due to all the great tips on this forum. Not really hard for even a newbie to get all running. Just followed the tutorials on here to install Nvidia, Google Earth, Chromium, and Liquorix. All worth the little effort.

Its my MAIN OS now.

Thanks ALL
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

No problems to report on either of two machines running LMDE, both fairly stock 32bit installs. Everything appears to work fine and I've had no complaints from users about computer issues since I installed a flash block to Firefox which requires users to deliberately click through to enable any flash based content.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

I had alot of issues because I used the Linux mint 10 home. I also found the format of the filesystem partition in the install does a poor job. I manually edited my partitions, formatted them NTFS, then reformatted to EXT4. After a new install, and creating a new home, and manually moving my data files, I ended up with a nice stable system.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

I started with Helena then Julia and then LMDE32, I hadn't a clue about Linux and just rampaged around the system generally wrecking things and running up an all time re-install record but then I loaded LMDE64 and decided to follow other peoples howto's and general advice a bit more closely and so far haven't managed to break anything - it seems to be IDIOT(me) proof :lol:
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

The only problem I'm running into is I have a ATI Radeon 9700 and it doesn't work properly with Compiz, or perhaps something is wrong with Compiz... I don't really know?? This video card worked with Compiz when I used LM9.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

kbkatz1 wrote:The only problem I'm running into is I have a ATI Radeon 9700 and it doesn't work properly with Compiz, or perhaps something is wrong with Compiz... I don't really know?? This video card worked with Compiz when I used LM9.
Are you using the AMD Catylist drivers or the Linux drivers? My Compiz did not work until I installed the AMD drivers.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I love my LMDE and its the best distro i have ever installed...even like it better then main edition and it is great to not have to re-install every 6 months and that everything will come to me automaticallly...

I noticed that the update levels are increasing alot...get many just about every single day now...but i guess that is just part of having a rolling distro :lol: So far...absolutely no breakage and everything has installed very smoothly :) It has also been EXTREMELY STABLE as well and runs great!

A few rough edges...I have regular Google Chrome installed (from their deb file) and the Chrome Icon will disappear from the favorites menu when i do updates that involve re-installing something or if i add or remove any application...but it comes right back if i reload the menu plug ins or the next time i reboot....weird!

Also, when i log in during start up, it doesn't remember that i set the touchpad to work when tapped...so i have to use my enter key instead...once fully into the system of course, the laptop's touchpad tap works perfectly...

Also, some times it takes awhile before the Updater lets me know i have updates available...sometimes i will manually check and see there are updates and it has not told me so as of yet...even though it is supposedly checking every 15 minutes...

And i do hope that they will add the auto-install options to the LMDE installer on future isos in case i should every have to re-install for any reason (hopefully not until i buy my next laptop!...LOL)...by auto-install, i mean like main edition has (have it automatically wipe out your current system and completely replace or place it "side by side" with your other systems)...I never did manually partitioning before and had to get the aid of another mint forum poster (seeley) to help me...
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Sorry...dup post :)
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

kbkatz1 wrote:
The only problem I'm running into is I have a ATI Radeon 9700 and it doesn't work properly with Compiz, or perhaps something is wrong with Compiz... I don't really know?? This video card worked with Compiz when I used LM9.

Are you using the AMD Catylist drivers or the Linux drivers? My Compiz did not work until I installed the AMD drivers.
@rdonnely: I have tried the Linux and Catalyst (9.3 and 11.1) drivers, couldn't get either to work with Compiz correctly. It is possible I may have to uninstall or remove/edit something first.... who knows?

Return to “LMDE Archive”