Kernel 2.6.20-16

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Kernel 2.6.20-16

Post by alan2273 »

I have Celena set up just how I like it, I switched on the other day and in the taskbar was an open padlock, not having seen this before I clicked on it and it said there was 89 updates to install, so i let it install them without looking what the updates were, (I now I should have had a look), when I came back to it later on it said it needed a reboot, on rebooting it had upgraded the kernel to version to 6 -20 - 16 and would not load XOrg.
I got back into grub and loaded 6 - 20 - 15 and everything is back to normal.
I now there were problems with intel chipsets but mine is an AMD board.
Has anyone else had problems on an AMD rig with this kernel?.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

Each time a new kernel is loaded you will have to reinstall Nvidia driver again and :

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Nick
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you got a new kernel you must have allowed risky updates, level 4 and 5, or that would not have happened
This also illustrates why a tool like mintUpdate is useful provided it's used the right way
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

nick wrote: Each time a new kernel is loaded you will have to reinstall Nvidia driver again and
I don't have that on Ubuntu. They have a helper package which automagically takes care of that. Would be nice to have that one too on Mint I guess ....
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

I had tried Celena 3.1 when I had my older ATI7000 video card but could never get Twinview to work correctly, so I tried openSuse for a while (because Twinview worked there easily with my old card).

Now I have a new nVidia Dual VGA card (GeForce FX5200) so I just installed Celena 3.1 (got rid of openSuse) and the dual display works like a charm.

I updated to the latest kernel ( -16) and found the same thing.... -16 didn't like the way my xorg.conf was setup at all ....BUT my experience has taught me a few things, such as backing up xorg.conf after a fresh installation ;)

....so when -16 dumped me back at the command line, I copied my original xorg file to xorg.conf, rebooted successfully, used Envy to reinstall my nVidia driver (and by the way, I watched as a new driver was built to work with -16), opened Terminal and ran 'sudo nvidia-settings' to setup my dual display....
....and here I am :)
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2273 »

I just booted into kernel -15 and removed 16 using synaptic.

Husse, I did not allow risky updates, they came through automatically, so I never checked what they were.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Husse, I did not allow risky updates, they came through automatically, so I never checked what they were.
Did you use mintUpdate with the default settings.
It does not allow kernel updates, so please tell me this as this may be a bug
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

@all: Please use subject titles that contain useful information, e.g. "6-20-16" as title is quite confusing. I took the liberty and edited the title. Now it says "Kernel 2.6.20-16" so it should be obvious now what this thread is about.

Return to “Other topics”