Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
rob2uk

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by rob2uk »

please don't feed the troll. That is all.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

BigSteve_G wrote:Regarding the 'SuperComputer' thing, is any version of windows capable of forming a Beowulf cluster like Linux? - because I'm not aware of any - unless you talking a Windows server connected to some form of a cluster with workload balancing but I dont think this would be the same.
By definition a Beowulf cluster must be running a Unix-like OS so in a way, no ;) Windows HPC Server would probably be the only Windows edition potentially capable of this sort of thing though.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

randomizer wrote:
BigSteve_G wrote:Regarding the 'SuperComputer' thing, is any version of windows capable of forming a Beowulf cluster like Linux? - because I'm not aware of any - unless you talking a Windows server connected to some form of a cluster with workload balancing but I dont think this would be the same.
By definition a Beowulf cluster must be running a Unix-like OS so in a way, no ;) Windows HPC Server would probably be the only Windows edition potentially capable of this sort of thing though.
My mistake, the definition I had been given of a beowulf cluster was wrong - just checked on Wikipedia & see what you mean :-)
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Windows can do clustering and supercomputers though. You just need the right edition, which is HPC Server. I don't think normal Windows Server would scale well enough.
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

I finally found a use for my Windows vista recovery disks, they make GREAT coasters .... :lol: :lol: :lol: The dog also likes to play frizbee with them too :lol: :lol: :lol:
kvv

Post by kvv »

andreaborman wrote: Then after you have restored your computer to factory settings,you do not have to pay again for another upgrade.As long as you have kept your product key from the last upgrade and have entered it correctly.
Wow! This is truly unbelievable. So, if by chance, you misplace the product key, and your computer borks, you will have to pay a hefty sum again? Most companies associate an online ID with a registration key.
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

kvv wrote:So, if by chance, you misplace the product key, and your computer borks, you will have to pay a hefty sum again? Most companies associate an online ID with a registration key.
It's pretty hard to misplace something that's stuck to your PC
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

rob2uk wrote:
kvv wrote:So, if by chance, you misplace the product key, and your computer borks, you will have to pay a hefty sum again? Most companies associate an online ID with a registration key.
It's pretty hard to misplace something that's stuck to your PC
I don't know about that it rubbed off on my old Acer laptop :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Asterisk

Post by Asterisk »

rob2uk wrote:It's pretty hard to misplace something that's stuck to your PC
Mine doesn't even have one.
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

Asterisk wrote:Mine doesn't even have one.
Then your copy of Windows is technically not legitimate
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Or it's not a prebuilt.
Asterisk

Post by Asterisk »

rob2uk wrote:Then your copy of Windows is technically not legitimate
Psh. Windows? Who needs it.
randomizer wrote: Or it's not a prebuilt
It's my own Frankenstein's Monster.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I understand that some people are terrified of being without Windows, but for me a recovery partition is just wasted space that I can use for better purposes. I've wiped all the partitions on my computers, and repartitioned to my needs and installed Linux, without any issues or angst. It's easy to do, and while it's not reversible it works for me.
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

Asterisk wrote:
Psh. Windows? Who needs it.
It's my own Frankenstein's Monster.
I agree with you * who needs windows????? I am for donating half the cost of 7 to Clem and calling it good. Does that work for you?
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

I run Linux Mint 9 Gnome on my computer. For about a year it was the only operating system that I used. I then got an Ipod and found it easier to sync with iTunes. I wiped out my first one when I tried to update the database with either Rythmbox or gtkpod, I can't remember which. After that I decided to VM XP just for that reason. Once I got into Iraq I had to prove to the Apple Store who I was and show a picture of my desktop, XP version and of my iPods desktop. If it wasn't for Apple being like M$ I wouldn't use XP or any other Microsoft product.
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Lostwithaclue wrote:I run Linux Mint 9 Gnome on my computer. For about a year it was the only operating system that I used. I then got an Ipod and found it easier to sync with iTunes. I wiped out my first one when I tried to update the database with either Rythmbox or gtkpod, I can't remember which. After that I decided to VM XP just for that reason. Once I got into Iraq I had to prove to the Apple Store who I was and show a picture of my desktop, XP version and of my iPods desktop. If it wasn't for Apple being like M$ I wouldn't use XP or any other Microsoft product.
You can also go the route I took; make a Hackintosh for around $35 CDN. Buy the disk and use it in a laptop ( Intel processors work the best)
konsch

Post by konsch »

Hey ho.

On my netbook (Eee PC 1005H GO) I use Lubuntu as sole OS. That's because I like the way, LXDE is configured and integrated in there.
On my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro A100) I have a dual-boot setting. LMDE and a Windows XP-installation. I prefer to boot into LMDE, but our printer shipped with a nice software for organizing documents (on Windows), so... As soon as a good alternative will cross my way, it'll initiate the wipe... Ah, I forgot. Scanning is also not possible (it's a multi). But I think, that's not a "Linux-problem". Will google for answers now or then. ^^

Greetings,
Konsch
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

You can also go the route I took; make a Hackintosh for around $35 CDN. Buy the disk and use it in a laptop ( Intel processors work the best)
I have thought about the Hackintosh but I didn't know if it would work with Virtual Box right out of the box. I'm sure I could have someone send me the DVD. Is the installation as simple as it sounds?
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

dawgdoc wrote:
ibm450 wrote:the super computer currently is running on linux
ibm450, how could you mislead people so. :shock: I read just a few short months ago that a lot of the supercomputers are running windows. Out of the top 500 supercomputers there were FIVE running Windows. :roll:

None of the Windows supercomputers are in the Top 10 fastest. One scored high enough to break into the Top 10, and it is the only Windows supercomputer to break the petaflop barrier, sadly :wink: the owners did not even enter it into the top 500. It could only be entered in the record once, and since it scored higher running Linux they ignored its Windows abilities. :lol:

ibm450 - I agree with you, I am in the Linux camp. I do not believe you were misleading people. The supercomputer stuff is true, but I do not see that it helping support the cause of Windows supporters. http://www.networkworld.com/community/b ... oses-top-5
lol

loved this bit...
But only five of the Top 500 computers were using Windows while 459 use Linux. Microsoft officials would surely love to improve upon that number, but realize they are unlikely to ever catch Linux in this ranking.
thanks for the links, interesting read, gosh, interesting specs http://www.top500.org/system/details/10587
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Konsch, scanning is easier on Linux than Windows, IME. Xsane does a good job for me on both Brother and HP all-in-ones. I never got scanning to work on my HP under XP, but it works well using all versions of Linux.

Return to “Open Chat”