ICE authority file - could not update... - very long post.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

ICE authority file - could not update... - very long post.

Post by tenfoot »

I have successfully installed LMDE on a Samsung desktop:

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
Memory 1034MB (162MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint Debian Edition
User Name xxxxxx
Date/Time Tue 14 Sep 2010 09:45:11 AM NZST
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter ICH - SiS SI7012
Audio Adapter MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.32-5-686 (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP Tue Jun 1 04:59:47 UTC 2010
C Library GNU C Library version 2.11.2 (stable)
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 4.4.5 20100728 (prerelease) (Debian 4.4.4-8)
Distribution Linux Mint Debian Edition

and my IBM Thinkpad T60:

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz
Memory 2593MB (142MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint Debian Edition
User Name xxxx
Date/Time Tues 14 Sep 2010 09:44:06 AM NZST
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.32-5-686 (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP Tue Jun 1 04:59:47 UTC 2010
C Library GNU C Library version 2.11.2 (stable)
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 4.4.5 20100728 (prerelease) (Debian 4.4.4-8)
Distribution Linux Mint Debian Edition

Encouraged by this success on two machines, I decided to install it on my main work desktop:

Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
Memory 2061MB (375MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 9 Isadora
User Name zed (zed)
Date/Time Mon 13 Sep 2010 09:59:48 NZST
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
Multimedia
Audio Adapter NFORCE - NVidia CK804
Audio Adapter MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART

Yes, I'm back to using Isadora because the installation of LMDE produced the following error:

Code: Select all

Could not update ICE authority file /home/zed/.ICEauthority
and giving me the only option to click on the Close button. This I did, when the following error was displayed:

Code: Select all

There is a problem with the configuration server: (/user/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)
The screen then went blank. I did a Restart with the same result. As I could not shut down normally, I pressed the Power button until the computer shut down.

On a Power on, when the error message appeared, I left it and eventually I got a working desktop.

Searched for and found /user/lib/libgconf2-4 and saw that it contained three files: libconfbackend-evoldap.so, libconfbackend-oldxml.so, libconfbackend-xml.so. I had no idea where to go from there.

I did a search on Google for the .ICEauthority error but found nothing useful.

Now, I could have left it there. I had a working machine. But what if there was a power outrage or I wanted to shut down for the night? A reboot produced the same error. A complete Shutdown and boot eventually resulted in a desktop but with no icons. The next shutdown and boot resulted in a desktop, with two icons for Home, Computer, and my external USB drive. Clicking on each one in turn, I found that one of each appeared to lead nowhere.

So, I appeal to the experts on the Forum for assistance, please. It is way beyond my level of competence why this is happening. And what makes it even more infuriating is that I've fallen in love with LMDE and will keep it on the other two computers. :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: ICE authority file - could not update... - very long pos

Post by tenfoot »

My mind must be going :oops: I've just noticed that I placed this in the LXDE Forum, instead of the LMDE. although throughout the post I have mentioned LMDE, it certainly shouldn't be where it is. Would some kind Moderator, please transfer it for me, as I do not know how to. Thank you.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

tenfoot wrote:Would some kind Moderator, please transfer it for me, as I do not know how to. Thank you.
*Moved to LMDE Subforum* :)
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thank you.
AronVirgo

Post by AronVirgo »

Hi!!! :D , well, 1th, I'm chilian, and my english is very bad... but, i had a similar problem XD... I can't remember if the 2nd error appeared, but when the 1th message disappeared,I pressed ctrl + alt + F1, and log-in, then ctrl+alt+F7, gdm appeared :wink: . Then in my session (desktop), I opened Synaptic, I selected gdm and Synaptic said thar will erase gdm3 :twisted: . When the installation is in process, will appears a screen-options, there have to select gdm or gdm3, you have to select gdm. Well, I tried this yesterday :) , I had no problems yet. In short, I changed gdm3 by gdm, because gdm hasn't "var/lib/gdm3/.iceauthority", and this folder had some problem in my case :wink: .

God byeeee and tell me how did it go!!! :D
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Hi!

Your English is easily understood. My Chilean is non existent and I greatly admire any person who speaks and writes more than their native language.

It was interesting that you write about gdm and gdm3. I checked the Package Manager and saw that I have gdm3 installed. I will leave it for now but if I get problems when I next reboot - which I hope won't be for as long time - I'll uninstall gdm3 and install gdm.

Thank you for the "head up" on this.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Although I haven't had this in LMDE (yet), I did have this issue when testing OpenSUSE. The solution offered in the forums was to rename .ICEauthority in your home folder and reboot. This worked for me and after a successful login I found that a new .ICEauthority had been created.

Hope this helps.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

GeneBenson wrote:Although I haven't had this in LMDE (yet), I did have this issue when testing OpenSUSE. The solution offered in the forums was to rename .ICEauthority in your home folder and reboot. This worked for me and after a successful login I found that a new .ICEauthority had been created.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that tip. I've renamed .ICEauthority, as suggested, and will see what happens when i next reboot.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Delighted to report that on a reboot, no problems were encountered. So renaming the file worked exactly as you predicted. Thank you.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

tenfoot wrote:Delighted to report that on a reboot, no problems were encountered. So renaming the file worked exactly as you predicted. Thank you.
Glad to hear it worked out. :D
johnl62

Post by johnl62 »

Hi all. having problems also with cannot update ICEauthority file. I can start up as normal log on ok them before desktop open the message " Could not update ICEauthority file /home/john/.ICEauthority " displays on screen. There is a close button displayed and when clicked desktop opens and everything works as normal. How am i able to get around this problem and getting rid of this message ?.. I have tried to rename the file as posts above but the system will not allow it. I am fairly new to linux and enjoying using , has anyone got any advice on this please ? thanks
siete

Post by siete »

Thank you tenfoot. Now everything works as usual.
May be the problem coud be caused by cairo-dock? .I mean, now I've got the solution but I don't know why this problem appear, and what is ICE.authority?
omid

Post by omid »

I had a similar problem (with aditional errors) on a -Computer- with Linux Mint 13 Maya and desktop environment MATE.
First I tried to delete/rename .ICEauthority file as suggested by GeneBenson
Although I haven't had this in LMDE (yet), I did have this issue when testing OpenSUSE. The solution offered in the forums was to rename .ICEauthority in your home folder and reboot. This worked for me and after a successful login I found that a new .ICEauthority had been created.
Unfortunately deleting .ICEauthority didnt changed anything on my system so I tried the suggestion made by AronVirgo and installed gdm on my system.
This was the solution for me and all errors disappeared. Thanks!
lawrencemaria

Re: ICE authority file - could not update... - same story co

Post by lawrencemaria »

I tried all of the solutions on my Linux Mint 15 Olivia 32 bit. Neither renaming, nor installing gdm has helped.
The infamous <Could not update ICE authority file /home/xuserx/.ICEauthority> persists!
I am for the first time regretting the changeover from LM14 to 15 -as I hardly had any issues with it!
Comon geniuses -give it a go & heal us sinners!
----------------------------------------------------------
The only cure for the ICE authority error: disable auto login!
The error disappears! Only now I have to wait for a full 2 mts to actually start doing something while the system boots up, waits for a login and a password....
Tsk! Tsk! sniff! How I miss the auto-login feature!
Also the system is noticeably slower -may be perhaps I encrypted the home folder for the first time? I wonder!
[System: 32bit Mint 15/AMD/1TB HDD/3GB Ram dual boot with XP & a vitual boxed XP as well -for the sake of occasional Access use & a Ricoh Africio MP 5500 printer which never accepts any OS but Windows!]

Return to “LMDE Archive”