LMDE Updates Message "Fix Broken Packages"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
craig10x

LMDE Updates Message "Fix Broken Packages"

Post by craig10x »

Hi: When i got this evening's updates on my LMDE, i tried to apply the 14 or so updates available, and a message pops up, saying "Fix Broken Packages"
Never got this before on all the updates i have gotten since installing it...

Does this straighten out by itself? Or is there something i need to do?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwgtex

Re: LMDE Updates Message "Fix Broken Packages"

Post by cwgtex »

I had this problem also. "Fix broken packages" in Synaptic does not fix the problem. I followed this advice from another thread:
kruijf wrote:Copy paste this in the terminal: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=62201

Worked for me.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

wow...all that...thought there was an easier solution...does this mean that a broken package was sent down in the batch of updates and will it get fixed with the next set of updates? Would appreciate all input on this if others have also encountered this problem...
I was wondering if it would be best to just wait until the next set of updates come in...

All comments welcome...as i said...first time i have encountered this....
Also, i don't have mint desktop 3.2.1 i have the newer 3.2.2 that was recently installed on here...they were discussing the old version...
must be some easy way to resolve this :roll: anyone recently encounter this and figure out how to correct it?
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

craig10x wrote:wow...all that...thought there was an easier solution...does this mean that a broken package was sent down in the batch of updates and will it get fixed with the next set of updates? Would appreciate all input on this if others have also encountered this problem...
I was wondering if it would be best to just wait until the next set of updates come in...
I think you might have misread the post (I'm writing "think" since I suppose I won't know for sure until the next set of updates gets announced)...

All I did was this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
And it updated just fine... now I'll just wait and see what happens when update manager reports the next "batch".

I do have a question for you guys though - this process I just went through wanted to remove vlc (don't remember exactly how many paggages but I think it was 4-5 different things related to vcl.
I went through with it since I figured it was a recommended course of action, and I can always install it again.
- Anyone know why that remove was suggested?
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

I dont why it removed vlc, i want to know that also.
Maybe Ikey or some one else knows it.
Paco

Post by Paco »

running aptitude I see that

libva1 "break" vlc-nox

So this is the problem, not sure what to do...
viking777

Post by viking777 »

not sure what to do
Well, that is easy, if you want to keep vlc don't install libva1 - this is what aptitude did for me and I am quite happy with that, the conflict will get fixed via another update soon enough. Of course if you don't want vlc then install libva1 which will remove it (for now). Personally I have no idea what libva1 does for me but I have a very good idea what vlc does so it is a pretty easy choice to make.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

For the peolpe who sayd yes, i think reinstall vlc en remove libva1?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Libva1 is a video acceleration library on which vlc depends, this update breaks vlc until v.1.1.5, so i expect in the next days a vlc update to fix this. Anyway the current vlc version in testing is quite old and this shows that things are moving.
Until a new vlc version shows in synaptic hold libva1 back
Paco

Post by Paco »

viking777 wrote:
not sure what to do
Well, that is easy, if you want to keep vlc don't install libva1 - this is what aptitude did for me and I am quite happy with that, the conflict will get fixed via another update soon enough. Of course if you don't want vlc then install libva1 which will remove it (for now). Personally I have no idea what libva1 does for me but I have a very good idea what vlc does so it is a pretty easy choice to make.
Of course, this is the same I've done. I mean if there's no way to make it works from mintupdate. Unmarking libva1 still throws the error... so when newer updates come (in other packages) we'll not be able to do the update from it...
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

zerozero wrote:Libva1 is a video acceleration library on which vlc depends, this update breaks vlc until v.1.1.5, so i expect in the next days a vlc update to fix this. Anyway the current vlc version in testing is quite old and this shows that things are moving.
Until a new vlc version shows in synaptic hold libva1 back
And If I already went ahead with the update and got vlc removed I suppose I have to find it manually once there's a working updated version, right?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well i believe so, because you removed vlc, vlc-nox and vlc-plugins, so i belive you don't have in your system a pkg that requires the new vlc once it is released.
Current vlc version is 1.1.3 and this one is broken, give it a week and look again in synaptic, if you find a newer version (1.1.7) try to install it and all should be ok.

Edit: i think this is just the tip of the iceberg for another breakage :mrgreen:
vlc depends on ffmpeg and updating the last is going to be a pain :mrgreen:

check this out:
http://release.debian.org/migration/tes ... ackage=vlc
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

zerozero wrote: Edit: i think this is just the tip of the iceberg for another breakage :mrgreen:
vlc depends on ffmpeg and updating the last is going to be a pain :mrgreen:

check this out:
Holy.... ! :shock:

- Suddenly the world seemed so much more complicated for the average guy...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: the sweetness of testing :lol:
Bonsaii

Post by Bonsaii »

Wow, thanks for the quick help!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Checking this morning i see all the posts and feedback about this and i think that i now understand what is going on :wink:
Well, i would rather keep the current vlc player until a newer one is available rather then take it out at this time, and i assume this is the reason why i am getting that "fix broken packages first" window?

Ok...if that is the case, and based on the fact that i would rather not have vlc removed...would it be best not to do this group of updates? Most of them seem to relate to the VLC player...So, what is my best course of action at this time?
Last edited by craig10x on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

check this out:
That was a good find zerozero!

To anyone worried about it just be patient it will work itself out eventually.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

So, if i wanted to not do this group, how do i knock this group out? Do i just hit my "clear button"?
Or something else?
Open Synaptic package manager click on the package (or packages) you don't want to update (there is only one in my case - libva1 - probably the same for you also). Then go to package, lock version. It will disappear from the 'upgradeable' list and appear in a 'pinned' list instead.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks viking777...although prior to you posting, i followed the previous suggestion and copied and pasted the line into the terminal and the packages were updated and it removed the vlc player as was previously mentioned...Upon re-booting, my Mint Update now shows as "Your System Is Up To Date"...

Sorry for my "newbieness" with the terminal stuff...i rarely use it (with some exceptions)...
So that command is an alternate way to install your mint updates instead of using the gui?
I could use that any time i have updates?

Also, now that VLC has been removed, i would like to have it again...but would it be best to wait now until Debian Testing sends down the new version and then install that (rather then re-installing the old version) ? Or should i just re-install VLC right now (the current version)?

Last edited by craig10x on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@Bonsai and @viking777 thanks and glad i could help :)

anyway with the mess i see with the ffmpeg upgrade i don't expect good news in the near future :shock:
probably, and this is just my feeling, they (Debian) are going to push the new ffmpeg into testing, breaking some stuff and then rebuild the breakages against the new ffmpeg.
The pkgs were frozen for too long and this is a big leap, so some drastic actions are probably needed.
i hope i'm wrong, but it's my reading of this situation :shock:

Return to “LMDE Archive”