Problems with USB devices (camera and/or pen drives)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Problems with USB devices (camera and/or pen drives)

Post by leo72 »

I have a Canon PowerShot A520 photo-camera that worked greatly under my old Suse 10.2.
Now that I'm installed LinuxMint the problems started.... (both with LM 3.0 and LM 3.1).
If I connect my camera, the OS recognizes it (I can see it using the lsusb command) but if I try to import the pictures, both Digikam and F-Spot cannot connect to the device.
I tried the solution found in this post (from 900i):
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... tal&t=4062
and I solved this problem... but now I have a new one!!!
When I connect a USB pen drive, the OS mounts it and I can navigate through the folders and use it as usual... but if I try to unmount it in the "My computer" panel (I chose not to show the mounted devices no my desktop) with the right click of the mouse, I get and error telling me that the device seems to be mounted by HAL blah blah... and I cannot unmount it. I can only unomunt it via terminal as sudo user....

I think this is a very annoying bug, isn't it? How can I solve it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Glad to hear you got your camera working, but I think the problem with the usb drive might be something along the lines of this post

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... unt&t=5660

and as yet we don't seen to have a solution :(
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

Reading the veeeery lot of stuff inside the post you reported and the related ones, I made a personal idea of the problem:

- the problem is inside Nautilus and/or the Ubuntu/Gnome system.
Some guys did not have the issue using Kubuntu (and I confirm that under Suse/KDE I never had this problem).

- I didn't understand how to stop LM using mintDisk to mount the USB pen drives (someone wrote that this could be a solution);

- It should be interesting to know if any user with Cassandra/KDE had this problem or not...

But I still confirm that:
1) it's very annoying issue;
2) I cannot understand why it has never been corrected, nor in Ubuntu and nor in LinuxMint! In the the posts we can read that it is present since Ubuntu 5.xx!

It seems that in the upcoming Gutsy the problem will be solved: I hope that a quick patch for LM 3.1 with code from Ubuntu 7.10 will come to fix it.
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

For the mount/umount of my USB pen drives I've temporarily solved using a trick found in this post:
http://www.debianhelp.org/node/2821
just uninstalling the gnome-mount package.
Now the device is mounted and an icon appears in "My computer" panel but Nautilus doesn't open a navigation window animore...

I have to try if my photo camera still works correctly (I don't have it right now) but I've seen that if now I choose "Unmount device" I get the same result as "sudo umount" via console: the led of my pen still remains on, but I can pull it away without warning messages concerning losses of data.
Before to apply the patch to have my camera worked correctly, I got the same result as "sudo eject": the pen was unmounted and the led was lighted off.
So there should be an issue in the way Gnome/Nautilus handles the USB devices that is wrong...
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've added this to (an informal) wishlist for Daryna
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

Update:

my USB pens are now VEEEEEERY slow....
This isn't a good solution... my sticks seem turtles! 2 secs to copy a stupid text file of just a couple of KBs!

I think I will come back to the original setups: so I won't be able to use my photo-camera but I will be able to use my USB pen drives. :evil:
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

Update:
today I've tried Ubuntu 7.10 using a LiveCD and my photo-camera was successfuly recognized by the OS.
I also tried SabayonLinux 3.4e and got the same result: camera worked OK.

So I came back to my LM 3.1 and tried restoring the old /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libgphoto2.rules file (followed by sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart) but now my system doesn't mount my camera anymore!

Very annoying :x .... I think I will try to install one of the above distros, awaiting a Mint version based on Ubuntu 7.10 (that I think it contains the code of Nautilus that mounts USB devices patched).

Return to “Hardware Support”