"taskbar" missing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gms9810

"taskbar" missing

Post by gms9810 »

Hi all,
I've googled this and searched through various forums including this one but I haven't found a satisfactory remedy. I just got finished setting up a spare computer with Mint, I've used it for probably three days now with no problems but somewhere today my task bar disappeared. Most of what I've read talks about missing buttons, and the very few posts/ articles I've read about the taskbar missing talk about pressing F2. I tried F2 and nothing happens. I keep thinking and hoping this can be fixed easily without reintsalling Mint. Any help or ideas will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: "taskbar" missing

Post by Habitual »

Open a terminal and run these:

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 --shutdown
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel
and Welcome to the LinuxMInt Community.
Might as well speak like a Linux user, they're called "Panels" not "taskbars". :)
gms9810

Post by gms9810 »

I copied and pasted it exactly as you had it, nothing happened. I'll just re install mint, thanks.
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi!
I once had success with

Code: Select all

killall gnome-panel
agreeing to delete an application I don't remember.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

gms9810 wrote:I copied and pasted it exactly as you had it, nothing happened. I'll just re install mint, thanks.
But that fixes nothing.
You learn nothing.
Is a complete waste of your time and ours (trying to help you) when you'll just take the 'easy' way out and re-install.
Sorry, this response makes me mad as hell.
You can thank us by learning how to fix the issue. ("Teach a man to fish...")
It can be fixed without re-installing.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reset+gnome-panel
The answer can readily be found searching this forum too.

Good luck.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

OMG, that is such a silly problem to do a reinstall over.

If you moved another item and squished the window list, it will not show, because it is too small to list any thing. Look on the left side of the panel for 3 vertical dots, RMB the 3 dots and select move, try and moved it to the right when you see a clenched fist. Or if it is gone RMB>Add to Panel>Window List.

I am sure we have all done needless reinstalls in the beginning, but a little search or waiting for the response on a forum is much better.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
chocca

Post by chocca »

Well it worked fine for me, nice one habitual. You saved me from a mini panic attak :D
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

chocca:

I am glad it worked for someone!
playland

Re: "taskbar" missing work around

Post by playland »

I had a similar problem after installing lisa on my dell latitude laptop had no panels/taskbar to restore panels I opened double clicked the home icon opened system files user/bin and opened gnome panel this restored my panels I also put a desktop short cut so that at least i .could restore the taskbars.

I also found that by logging out and changing sessions to gnome classic the task bars are present.

hope this is some help
mrgrumpee

Post by mrgrumpee »

Many thanks Playland.I was using Mint 8 and decided to up to 12,everything went well till the desktop came up and no taskbar.Click ,click and there it was. :D :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”