[SOLVED] Intel or AMD for Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Intel or AMD for Mint?

Post by Reljoy »

I want to buy a new motherboard etc. Is Intel or AMD more Linux Mint 10 friendly?
I tried a Gigabyte MA78LMT-S2 revision 3.4 and had lots of issues with it.
My old m/b was an Intel based MS-7529 ver 1.1 and it was lovely until it died.

If you have recently bought a new motherboard for Linux Mint 10, what did you buy? How well does it work?
thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Intel or AMD for Mint?

Post by JasonLG »

Reljoy wrote:I want to buy a new motherboard etc. Is Intel or AMD more Linux Mint 10 friendly?

If you have recently bought a new motherboard for Linux Mint 10, what did you buy? How well does it work?
thanks.
Intel is more Linux compatible then AMD/ATI as far as video chipsets are concerned at least, but either company is bound to have good and bad mobos. Pick a couple that have the specs that you want and do a little googling. Personally I'd go for an Intel based board and add an invidia card.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

JasonLG wrote:
Reljoy wrote:I want to buy a new motherboard etc. Is Intel or AMD more Linux Mint 10 friendly?

thanks.
Intel is more Linux compatible then AMD/ATI as far as video chipsets are concerned at least,.
this is not really true. ATI has poor support for soem mobile older chips and 68x series is not porpperly supported yet. but for most you either have good opensource driver, newer card even have linux proprietary drivers.

as for the processors both work well in Linux. In fact one verison is even made for AMD64 type (and can also be used on Intel 64bit processors).

as for more bang for the money you will get more with AMD than intel. i use both. I had to go intel (newer celeron) cause i couldn't find AMD board with both PCi-e and AGP plugs, works nicely. i use another install on old athlon - also very fast and nice. tested it live on anothe newer athlon also very good,

unless you want to use better intel processors (sandy bridge). but as i read they have an error and are now being recalled: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.c ... Id=3259061

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu so this informaiton may come in handy:

regarding ATI cards: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

regarding hardfware compatibility and components compatibility:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Both CPUs work well. I have both AMD and Intel machines running Mint - no problems with any of them. Now in my opinion nVidia works better than ATI/AMD on Linux and we all know that Intel and nVidia are married.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I have no problems at all with AMD Phenom processor on a Gigabyte MB (NVidia chipset) and ATI graphics card using propriety drivers.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

In fact, my AMD x2 245 with nVidia ( low cost self built) work quite fast when compare with intel core i3 (dell )

This mother board is Biostar MCP6P M2+
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/con ... p?S_ID=370

Many things are nVidia. Low cost, rather low-end specs, still very responsive for most Linux OS.
See details from lspci below

No trouble to run Mint 9, Mint 10 out of the box.
LMDE ( as well as Debian based distros) also work out of the box, except poor graphic with default driver. Once nVidia driver is installed it is OK.
Also many other linux OS work out of the box, they have no problem with preloaded nVidia driver, like PCLOS, Sabayon, Slackware/Zenwalk/Salix/vector, Fedora, ubuntu, etc.

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:08.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

mastablasta wrote: this is not really true. ATI has poor support for soem mobile older chips and 68x series is not porpperly supported yet. but for most you either have good opensource driver, newer card even have linux proprietary drivers.
The reason I recommend invidia is because video acceleration is supported in Flash where in ATI cards it is not.
mastablasta wrote: as for the processors both work well in Linux. In fact one verison is even made for AMD64 type (and can also be used on Intel 64bit processors).
The 64bit version of Mint is not made explicitly for AMD processors.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

its more a question of horses for courses ... i have an Intel laptop [all i could afford at the time] but ALL my main computers since the mid 80's have been powered by AMD its a personal thing, i found them more reliable and defiantly a cost advantage, plus in my own mind i package Intel with Microsoft [both over bloated domineering companies with near to useless customer service]
my main machine spec is in my signature

wizard
linXea

Post by linXea »

The choice between AMD and Intel is all down to personal preferences. Personally I don't agree with nVidia being much more linux friendly. Since the radeon driver got 3D performance I see no reason to avoid ATI/AMD cards. Only reason to use nVidia would be if you're planning on gaming a lot, since the proprietary nVidia driver give better performance than the ATI/AMD fglrx driver. For those like me who use the open source driver it doesn't really matter. About AMD or Intel CPU, I prefer AMD because they are cheaper and still offer enough punch to satisfy my needs.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

With a laptop I would choose Intel as they are usually having Intel wireless cards which work very well, and I'm having bad experience with Broadcom. But when replacing a motherboard you don't have to replace your network cards so this does not matter for you. If you will be using an onboard graphics card I would recommend a motherboard with an ATI that has opensource 3D support.

At AMD the processors are cheaper as said before, but maybe there will be a cheap Intel motherboard with a difference bigger than that between the processors.
Or maybe you can even re-use the old processor if you can get a motherboard with the same socket.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

Thanks for the replies. Seems it doesn't really matter whether I go AMD or Intel.
Has anyone bought a new motherboard in the last 6 months?
What was it and how does it go with Mint 10?
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I got recently Asus P8P67 Pro. Works great with Mint, but the mobo itself is very problematic (buggy bios), so I do not recommend it.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

When I build a system, I prefer to use AMD. It just seems that I get a more cost-effective result.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Eiver, I have had a P8P67 that died while changing some settings in the BIOS... Indeed not recommended.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Whichever ones gives you a price advantage, if that is a concern; otherwise the general and usually most updated choice is Intel (being that they are a bigger company than AMD, and can do more research, as well as run their own FAB factories..)

I have mostly used AMD processors/mainboards and have never had any particular Intel/AMD compatibility issues..

Return to “Beginner Questions”