KDE 4.6.1 is out. Will we get an update?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

KDE 4.6.1 is out. Will we get an update?

Post by Old Ruler »

http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.6.1.php

There are packages available for Kubuntu 10.10. Is there a ppa to get those? Don't fancy building from source, but I'd like to see if some of the bugs affecting my installation have been fixed.

Julia and Helga lol. Sounds like a team. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gameforge

Re: KDE 4.6.1 is out. Will we get an update?

Post by gameforge »

Has your system not yet updated? I'm doing the 180 upgrades right now. They're coming from this repo:

Code: Select all

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

Oops. I'm not using mint-update and I hadn't clicked Reload in Synaptic. :oops:

Updating now. Many thanks.
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

Performed the upgrade, no problems. :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

No problems here. I always worry that Ubuntu stuff will replace our Mint stuff (it's happened in the past), but all seems well.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

for me it seems to have fixed the slow problems i have had maybe now people can upgrade to lm kde 10
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Well TREAD CAREFULLY....

I only added the XSWATPPA's so was waiting to see what mintUpdate did... and no more than I read this post... mintUpdate announced updates...

187 updates....

Nope.... "Fix broken packages first... "

Well theres a package with 0B in it...

remove that and updates proceed... .. well errors:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-l10n-engb_4%3a4.6.1-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/khtmlsettingsplugin.mo', which is also in package konq-plugins-l10n 4:4.4.0-2ubuntu3~maverick1~ppa1
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Processing triggers for python-support ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-l10n-engb_4%3a4.6.1-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1_all.deb
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.PermissionsInvalid: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Well this was the sign of bad things to come.... reboot to make sure everything is in place and updated...

"Can not start consolekit. Can not start session the setuid helper permissions are not correct."

No wireless, no batter levels, all kinds of errors about KDE wants to ignore things... NO! sound fubar'd.....

Ok another update run mintUpdate on a wired connection, since wireless is borq'd... it runs and updates some things, reconfigures and sets up packages...reboot... and consolekit error gone, sound back, no errors about trying to forget half the hardware... my transparent kicker and konsole are still in effect....

There is still some kind of error with one package:
kde-l10n-engb 4:4.6.1-0ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1 4:4.6.0-0ubuntu1@maverick1~ppa1

See below:
461update_error.jpeg
Well after the reboot things seem to be back in order...we will see... if there is something else amiss.

So tread carefully.
colyn

Post by colyn »

rec9140 wrote:Well TREAD CAREFULLY....

I only added the XSWATPPA's so was waiting to see what mintUpdate did... and no more than I read this post... mintUpdate announced updates...

187 updates....

Nope.... "Fix broken packages first... "

Well theres a package with 0B in it...

remove that and updates proceed... .. well errors:.
I always do big upgrades like this via terminal instead of update manager.

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
went smooth as silk for me with no errors..

For some reason update manager misses some dependencies..
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

Lancelot was one of the things updated. I wonder if the previous bugs will be fixed? As soon as my update finished I will check it out
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

dante19992 wrote:Lancelot was one of the things updated. I wonder if the previous bugs will be fixed? As soon as my update finished I will check it out
could you post on here if lancelot works or not so people can know if they can use it again or not
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

cpatrick08 wrote:
dante19992 wrote:Lancelot was one of the things updated. I wonder if the previous bugs will be fixed? As soon as my update finished I will check it out
could you post on here if lancelot works or not so people can know if they can use it again or not
Unfortunately no it did not work T.T It's much faster and smoother but the bug still remains
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Here is the package that is showing in the mintUpdate which will lead to "Broken Packages fix first... " its 0B for some reason.
package_error.jpeg
This is on my other test machine... but I am not going to update it till I can physically be at it next week.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

rec9140 wrote:Here is the package that is showing in the mintUpdate which will lead to "Broken Packages fix first... " its 0B for some reason.
package_error.jpeg
This is on my other test machine... but I am not going to update it till I can physically be at it next week.
no offense but compare the new version with the old one. Not only that but I am pretty sure it is outdated since when you uncheck it and update your system will remove it from....well your system
colyn

Post by colyn »

rec9140 wrote:Here is the package that is showing in the mintUpdate which will lead to "Broken Packages fix first... " its 0B for some reason.
The reason it is 0kb is because the upgrade was going to install libmarblewidget 11 instead of libmarblewidget 10.

If you do a terminal upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
instead of trying to upgrade with update manager libmarblewidget 10 is ignored and will be un-installed once libmarblewidget 11 is installed..
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

dante19992 wrote:no offense but compare the new version with the old one. Not only that but I am pretty sure it is outdated since when you uncheck it and update your

system will remove it from....well your system
Thats the point it should not be offered to update, and it should not require intervention by a user since it should not be there to start since its ancient.

For those who may not see this in the packages and start doing other things to fix the error that will be generated by this package..
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

rec9140 wrote:
dante19992 wrote:no offense but compare the new version with the old one. Not only that but I am pretty sure it is outdated since when you uncheck it and update your

system will remove it from....well your system
Thats the point it should not be offered to update, and it should not require intervention by a user since it should not be there to start since its ancient.

For those who may not see this in the packages and start doing other things to fix the error that will be generated by this package..
I agree I am just saying you can tell by staring at the screen for long enough what the problem is so I don't think too many people b0rked their installs because of it
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

dante19992 wrote:
cpatrick08 wrote:
Unfortunately no it did not work T.T It's much faster and smoother but the bug still remains
oh ok we will have to wait for4.6.2 next month to see if it works
red123

Post by red123 »

Wait... so I need to do a dist-upgrade in order to properly update to 4.6.1? I thought that is only for upgrading to different version of the same distro
vincent

Post by vincent »

dist-upgrade isn't solely used to upgrade to a new version of your distro, it is used whenever you upgrade a package that requires you to install new packages as dependencies (often new versions of libraries). From apt-get's man page:

dist-upgrade
           dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
           also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
           of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
           it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
           expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade
           command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file
           contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package
           files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding
           the general settings for individual packages.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

actually you can use mintupdate too. just uncheck libmarblewidget10 and it will update everything nd remove libmarblewidget10 from your system since it is replaced with 11 anyway

Return to “Software & Applications”