udev and udev-mtab services ,, running or not?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
robert-e

udev and udev-mtab services ,, running or not?

Post by robert-e »

Hi,
Would a few of you running LMDE 32 bit please post whether or not in Administration..Services have "udev" and/or "udev-mtab" services ticked? I have been having problems with Nvidia-settings not working, and googleing seems to indicate a problem with udev. I cannot recall if it were ticked on in the old version of LMDE or not. Thank you.

Regards,
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bitmason

Re: udev and udev-mtab services ,, running or not?

Post by bitmason »

Udev should be running - it maps out the different physical parts of the computer and then adds them as symlinks to the filesystem - allowing you to use them. Udev is part of just about every modern Linux distribution.
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

@bitmason,
Agreed, but mine is not running, and if I start it, it kills the keyboard, and screw up USB. Are you running LMDE all updated, and did you check the services screen on your machine?

Regards.
Bob
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

I'm running the 32bit version from the begining and udev and udev-mtab services are not ticked in Administration....Services.
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

kruijf,
Thank you. I am now starting to wonder if perhaps udev is now in the kernel?

For anyone who happens to tick udev on in the gui service tool; you may lose the keyboard, then be unable to type in the password to untick it. There are a couple of ways out of this...you need another computer or at least a livecd. Make a text file with your password in it. Save it to a memory stick. Move the stick back to your linux computer. Now unplug the usb mouse and the stick and replug them. You should now have the mouse back and you can copy and paste the password when you go to run the services gui. Then untick the udev box, and any other that you might have activated. Reboot.

Or you can boot into runlevel 1 by editing the kernel line...just type the space bar while booting. Follow the directions and add a number 1 at the end of the kernal line. You might have to type your password. The type service udev stop ,
then type exit. The desktop will start, and then you have to use the gui to untick the udev service in the gui. I dont know why but you will see that it is still ticked even though you stopped the service as root. Then reboot and all should be back to "normal".

Regards,
Bob
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm or the services gui is just at fault and it's running when unchecked? :p
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

heh heh, gotjazz,
Your suggestion made me wonder...I ran service --status-all, and got a (?), meaning I guess the OS does not know? So, I guess I am still no wiser.

Regards,
Bob
Marame

Post by Marame »

Yes, I had several problems when I ticked udev and udev-mtab in services. Keyboard and mouse (Logitech cordless with USB and PS/2 plugs) did not work unless I replugged USB and login was possible. Lmsensors did not recognize udisks (two Samsung SATA disks) but libsensors worked. Something wrong with those services initialized in startup.

Marame

Return to “LMDE Archive”