[SOLVED] ? about startup programs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
piquat

[SOLVED] ? about startup programs

Post by piquat »

First, this is NOT a question about how to add/adjust/find them in the GUI app in the start menu. I've used it and I'm comfortable with it.

What I want to know is how to change that list from the root prompt when I drop to it from the recovery console.

History:
I was messing around with conky, don't center on it, it could be any program. Well, I poked it a little too hard and it rebooted my laptop. When it came back up it would run as usual until conky started. Conky would start fine and then after it's first update, it would spread across the screen and lock the machine up about 5 seconds later.

Lucky for me I left a 20 second wait on the start up for it so I was, after a few reboots, able to get to it and remove it's startup command just before it crashed again.

I first tried renaming .conkyrc to .conkyrc_bak, then renamed .conky_start.sh to .conky_start.sh_bak, no help. (how it was starting at that point, I don't know) After that I dropped to root again and did an 'apt-get remove conky', not knowing that I needed to remove conky-all, so that didn't work.

What I would have liked to do is removed the startup of it from the list of startup programs in the GUI from with in the root console given by the recovery startup. But I have no idea how that program handles things.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: ? about startup programs

Post by feed3 »

piquat wrote: I first tried renaming .conkyrc to .conkyrc_bak, then renamed .conky_start.sh to .conky_start.sh_bak, no help. (how it was starting at that point, I don't know) After that I dropped to root again and did an 'apt-get remove conky', not knowing that I needed to remove conky-all, so that didn't work.
Whenever you rename/remove your customized .conkyrc inside your home folder, it will automatically searching and starting default .conkyrc. If i were you, what i might do is;

create one new user, log in using that user account, or log in using root (not advisable to do so though), remove conky startup item that you added from /home/your_username/.config/autostart/ or just search for autostart folder.

No need to use the recovery startup root console, just boot it normally, from GDM, click on log in as other user, type root as username and your root password.

Good luck.
piquat

Post by piquat »

feed3 wrote:
piquat wrote: I first tried renaming .conkyrc to .conkyrc_bak, then renamed .conky_start.sh to .conky_start.sh_bak, no help. (how it was starting at that point, I don't know) After that I dropped to root again and did an 'apt-get remove conky', not knowing that I needed to remove conky-all, so that didn't work.
Whenever you rename/remove your customized .conkyrc inside your home folder, it will automatically searching and starting default .conkyrc. If i were you, what i might do is;

create one new user, log in using that user account, or log in using root (not advisable to do so though), remove conky startup item that you added from /home/your_username/.config/autostart/ or just search for autostart folder.

No need to use the recovery startup root console, just boot it normally, from GDM, click on log in as other user, type root as username and your root password.

Good luck.
/home/your_username/.config/autostart/
Ahhh, that's what I was looking for. Autostart, I'll have to remember that.
I thought you couldn't do this because the root acct., by default, is disabled, hence all the sudo'ing.

I got it fixed, but only because of that 20 second pause.

If I create another user, they'd have their own autostart, under their own profile and conky wouldn't start, correct? It would get me a usable desktop. But I still couldn't go in and modify files under another users home folder... wait, I could do that from a root session of nautilus or a root terminal, ahhhh, now I see! I suppose I could boot to a live CD and mount the file system and do it there too.

I think I'll create another user just for this purpose.

Thanks for the help!

I'll piddle with autostart in the morning. If I don't have any more questions I'll mark this solved in about 8 hours.
piquat

Post by piquat »

Well, I'm kind of glad I screwed that up. :lol:

There are only three items in autostart. They seem to be the ones I've added. Some of the others I think I see in /etc/init.d.
Then there are some that I'm not sure of. Some of it seems to be related to upstart.

I understand a bit more about init.d and run levels now, and where to find at least the ones I've hosed up and stop them.

Thanks!
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

piquat wrote:Well, I'm kind of glad I screwed that up. :lol:

There are only three items in autostart. They seem to be the ones I've added. Some of the others I think I see in /etc/init.d.
Then there are some that I'm not sure of. Some of it seems to be related to upstart.

I understand a bit more about init.d and run levels now, and where to find at least the ones I've hosed up and stop them.

Thanks!
Glad it helps you, friend.. :) Happy Minting together..

Return to “Beginner Questions”