Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
grey1960envoy

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by grey1960envoy »

Morgan Krieg wrote:To be honest, what's the point of using Linux when one also uses Windows?
WHAT?????
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Morgan Krieg wrote:To be honest, what's the point of using Linux when one also uses Windows?
Sometimes Windows is used grudgingly. Today I pulled my laptop hard drive, with LM 9 and LMDE, and put in the old drive with WinXP. I had to do this to update my Android phone to a newer version, 2.1 to 2.2. The upgrade is only available from a computer and not OTA, Over The Air, and the computer must be running a 32 bit Win OS. I guess the carriers, AT&T in my case, do not consider a person using a phone with a Linux OS might also choose to use computers with Linux OSs.

Anyhow, the upgrade went smoothly. I have now changed back to the hard drive with LM 9 and LMDE.

EDIT: The hard drive with WinXP on it also had LM 6. My first Linux to become of primary use for me.
Last edited by dawgdoc on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

richnbernie wrote:I run Vista when I convert You Tube videos to MP3 for my player and my girlfriend's player.
Free Real Player works out of the box. Never could get any application to work in Mint.
I recall seeing comments that VLC can perform this function. Also ffmpeg can do it from the command line. A one line instruction.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i video.avi -f mp3 audio.mp3
from this page http://www.linuxaria.com/howto/tricks-ffmpeg?lang=en

ffmpeg will work with flash video, so that should work by changing video.avi to video.flv. I will check in the next day or so.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

@ richnbernie
dawgdoc wrote:ffmpeg will work with flash video, so that should work by changing video.avi to video.flv. I will check in the next day or so.
I just tried this and it worked. I viewed a music video at Youtube. Copied the video from /tmp and saved it in a data partition I have for videos. Changed the file name to end with .flv and then ran the following command, it took less than 30 seconds to extract the audio from the 3:15 video.

Code: Select all

dawgdoc-lmd@dv6000-laptop-lmd ~ $ ffmpeg -i /media/Vids_Pics/Projects/Andrews_Candyman.flv -f mp3 /media/Vids_Pics/Projects/candyman.mp3
I then double clicked the .mp3 file and it played in Totem Media Player. Just to make sure it was viable, I then played it in Rhythmbox.
Last edited by dawgdoc on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

richnbernie wrote:I run Vista when I convert You Tube videos to MP3 for my player and my girlfriend's player.
Try aTube Catcher under WINE. Works flawlessly.
Free Real Player works out of the box. Never could get any application to work in Mint.
Real have a Linux version - http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-install-r ... -in-ubuntu
Apple over shadows Linux.
Only because they have the advertising cash to lure in easily-pleased hipsters, IMHO
kvv

Post by kvv »

rob2uk wrote:
Apple over shadows Linux.
Only because they have the advertising cash to lure in easily-pleased hipsters, IMHO
This is definitely not the only reason. Apple has the cash, but much of it has gone into non-advertising stuff like UI research. For people like you and me, Linux may be easy to use, but try and get a newbie to do "apt-get install vlc". Ubuntu is making this easier, but Apple did it many years ago. Add to this their successful line of music players + iTunes store. Finally, rich, non-developer, home users don't care about free software. Licensing issues don't bother them. And the walled garden approach, in terms of hardware and software, actually benefits these people.
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

kvv wrote:try and get a newbie to do "apt-get install vlc"
Why wouldn't I get them to click Menu -> Software Manager? Apple are behind there as well - their app store only became available in January this year.
ell02

Post by ell02 »

Iv'e been linux only since receiving a free copy of ubuntu 5.10 and then promptly wiping my hard drive with a full install. In retrospect it was tough but learned a lot back then.
A couple of pc's later windows still doesn't last long on a computer I call my own.
MY OPINION below
The big distro's will all do the job and be customized into whatever your taste fancy.Mint at this time is for me is the one i find the best fit.
tatsujin79

Post by tatsujin79 »

Yes i run linux exclusively. I fiddled with 7 on my laptop for a bit (which came with xp) and up till recently i had to use it for work but in all honesty i just feel a bit dirty using windows. I've gotten so used to linux and the cli that i just cannot do without it
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

I am using Linux exclusevily too.
I am not planning to return to windows.
andreaborman

Post by andreaborman »

But a lot of software is exported from it. Take Thunderbird,which is an email client based on Outlook Express,and is a clone of it. And you can't use Outlook Express because of the system they have. See here- http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&p=396143 And it is the same on Linux.

Because the email clients on Linux,all of which are clones of Outlook Express including Thunderbird,have the same system on Linux as they do on on Windows. They ask for your incoming http. or POP server-I don't know that. Then they ask you for your outgoing http. or POP server-I don't know that. So you cannot set it up, and of course the email never gets sent.

And I am not the only one with this problem.How does anybody know what their http.or POP server is.

As one of my friends said of Outlook Express and it's clones that have somehow made their way to Linux in the form of Thunderbird and others-"You can't use it. It won't let you use it" And "It does not allow itself to be used."
That is a good description of the email clients,that you won't be able to use on Linux,just like you could not use them on Windows.

Outlook Express and clones are-THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

And YOU won't be able to use it either. Andrea Borman.
Last edited by andreaborman on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

andreaborman wrote:nonsense
Andrea, every single one of your posts on this forum is factually incorrect, and sometimes downright bizarre.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, so please just stop.
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

Its took me a while but I am pleased to say I have only got linux mint 9 as my sole operating system, And I love It, Its faster than windows, Safer than windows, Cheaper than windows, No silly license fees, Can Install on anything for as long as my heart Is content, You enjoy your windows, Me I enjoy my FREEDOM!!
kvv

Post by kvv »

@Andrea Borman, if you are using Gmail or Hotmail, or any other popular mail services, you wouldn't have run into that problem, but if you are using a mail service provided by say your company or your local internet service provider, the client may have problems detecting the settings automatically. In this case, you will have to contact the person(s) in charge to get the settings. It's just a matter of filling up a few parameters and it's simple, but you need to find out what to fill.
rob2uk wrote:
Andrea, every single one of your posts on this forum is factually incorrect, and sometimes downright bizarre.

No, it's not really bizarre. It can be very confusing to set up your mail account, if your client cannot detect your mail server settings, it's close to impossible for an average guy (like me) to set it up without instructions, forget a completely non-technical user.

While Andrea Borman is quite off in his assumptions, his problems are very real, and he doesn't know how to express it so that someone will help him.
tatsujin79

Post by tatsujin79 »

rob2uk wrote:No, it's not really bizarre. It can be very confusing to set up your mail account, if your client cannot detect your mail server settings, it's close to impossible for an average guy (like me) to set it up without instructions, forget a completely non-technical user.
I still consider myself somewhat of a non-technical user and still the only email service that has ever given me trouble would be yahoo and live (msn,live). In the case of thunderbird (i use gmail as my primary) all i have to do is inter my details and it sets it up for me. Many other email services will give you clear instructions on how to set up your mail client as well. Yahoo cannot i guess unless you have a premium account (please correct me if i'm wrong) and live, well its live and i tend to avoid it entirely except for instant messaging. Really i've never had a problem myself and if it really were so difficult programs such as thunderbird probably would never have gained the notoriety and popularity that they have. Just my 2 cents
kvv

Post by kvv »

I have a problem with setting up my college email account on thunderbird. Well, not exactly a problem, it just doesn't auto-detect. But there are instructions given on the college website. This may not be true of all email providers, and I don't expect Andrea to know to look for it.
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

I wasn't talking about just her last post. Have a look through the other things she has posted, and then tell me if you think she should be giving advice to other people...
andreaborman

Post by andreaborman »

rob2uk wrote:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-sup ... age-2.html
But those email clients ARE impossible to use. No matter what I do or try I cannot get it up and running. See my posts in Windows 7 forums.

Not on Linux,not on Windows. And neither can any of the other friends and people I know use it either. So it is true that Outlook Express and clones,such as Thunderbird,SeaMonkey Mail,Windows Live Mail and others are-THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

And they sure do live up to their new name. Andrea Borman.
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

andreaborman wrote:
But those email clients ARE impossible to use. See here-http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-sup ... age-2.html No matter what I do or try I cannot get it up and running.
Wow, ok. You try to prove your point by linking me to a forum where you show your ignorance even more than you do here...

Awesome.
andreaborman

Post by andreaborman »

rob2uk wrote:
andreaborman wrote:
But those email clients ARE impossible to use. See here-http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-sup ... age-2.html No matter what I do or try I cannot get it up and running.
Wow, ok. You try to prove your point by linking me to a forum where you show your ignorance even more than you do here...

Awesome.
Here is the post-
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-sup ... age-2.html It is quite funny isn't it. No matter what I or anybody else tries. You just cannot use that email. Andrea Borman.

Return to “Open Chat”