QUESTION. Openoffice / Libreoffice [ SOLVED ]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dar-es-Salaam

QUESTION. Openoffice / Libreoffice [ SOLVED ]

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi.

I have just done and update with Aptitude Terminal and have somehow switched from open office to libre office.

1. why did it do this
2. what is the difference
3. which one is best
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dr.m0x

Re: QUESTION. Openoffice / Libreoffice

Post by Dr.m0x »

1. Debian is moving to libreoffice as are ubuntu, fedora, and just about everyone else. The problem is that Oracle brought out Sun, who were the previous developers of open office. Unfortunately Oracle seem to have zero interest in free open source software so Open Office has been forked by a group of open source developers. The fork is called LibreOffice.

2. At present there are no differences apart from the branding. Open Office is a trademark owned by Oracle.

3. Libre office for the single reason that it is free open source software driven by community development. Open Office will probably die a slow and horrible death with Oracle behind the wheel. Those guys only care about one thing - profit.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi Dr.m0x,

Thanks for your reply. I wont bother trying to switch back to open office from reading your reply. :D
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe »

Awesome =)

i knew the fact about the deal and everything but i got confused when synaptic told me about upgrading openoffice/removing openoffice core and installing Libreoffice =)

Well everything works as it should so.

Return to “LMDE Archive”