Theming brainstorm for LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
elav

Re: Theming brainstorm for LMDE

Post by elav »

muzzwood wrote:elav, I absolutely love your theme. The logo, the green and dark grey are perfect for LMDE!

I hope to see this come through as the default theme in an update soon :D
Thanks..
elav

Post by elav »

kwevej wrote:elav, would it be possible to get your logo in SVG or another vector format? Thx
Sure... Link
muzzwood wrote:elav, I absolutely love your theme. The logo, the green and dark grey are perfect for LMDE!

I hope to see this come through as the default theme in an update soon :D
Thanks..
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

SkiesOfAzel

Post by SkiesOfAzel »

Hello, i am SkiesOfAzel, the author of the Orta gtk theme. Ikey contacted me a while ago, asking me to port Orta to LMDE. The resulting theme shares allot of similarities with Orta, although it uses allot less pixmaps and lets murrine do its thing. It's also mintier ;).

You can find the code here :
git@github.com:SkiesOfAzel/mint-x-theme.git

I am looking forward to your suggestions and bug reports :).
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

SkiesOfAzel wrote:Hello, i am SkiesOfAzel, the author of the Orta gtk theme. Ikey contacted me a while ago, asking me to port Orta to LMDE. The resulting theme shares allot of similarities with Orta, although it uses allot less pixmaps and lets murrine do its thing. It's also mintier ;).

awesome - thanks a lot man. is the less pixmap thing because of the old pixmap version in debian testing? because I'd guess that should resolve itself before the next respin anyway.
elav

Post by elav »

SkiesOfAzel wrote:Hello, i am SkiesOfAzel, the author of the Orta gtk theme. Ikey contacted me a while ago, asking me to port Orta to LMDE. The resulting theme shares allot of similarities with Orta, although it uses allot less pixmaps and lets murrine do its thing. It's also mintier ;).

Greetings:
Just great and I appreciate all your work. In my case I do not use Orta, because I find the buttons too round for my taste. However, it would be interesting to test in LMDE Orta. Thanks.. :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

is this you talking about? :wink:
Screenshot-22.png
as i would expect it looks great :lol:
SkiesOfAzel

Post by SkiesOfAzel »

gotjazz wrote: awesome - thanks a lot man. is the less pixmap thing because of the old pixmap version in debian testing? because I'd guess that should resolve itself before the next respin anyway.
The theme may look like Orta but it's completely rewritten from scratch. It uses less pixmaps for various reasons. The first one is that the pixmap engine is a buggy mess, so i tried to avoid it as much as i could. The second reason is compatibility, look at firefox for example, it looks allot better now than it did with Orta. The third is that i wanted to created a smaller and if possible faster and lighter theme than Orta. That doesn't mean i won't add more pixmaps in the future, i don't like the current treeview lists and highlights, and i could probably add pixmap check and radio buttons that match better with the rest of the widgets but i have to do it with caution.
elav wrote: Greetings:
Just great and I appreciate all your work. In my case I do not use Orta, because I find the buttons too round for my taste. However, it would be interesting to test in LMDE Orta. Thanks.. :)
I would appreciate your input so don't hesitate to report bugs or propose improvements. As for the roundness of the theme, if i get more request i could do a squared variant. Regular Mint also has 2 variants of Mint-X.
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

+1 for the square variant! :)

Anyway, thanks for your work! I'm glad to see you around here! ;)
elav

Post by elav »

SkiesOfAzel wrote:
elav wrote: Greetings:
I would appreciate your input so don't hesitate to report bugs or propose improvements. As for the roundness of the theme, if i get more request i could do a squared variant. Regular Mint also has 2 variants of Mint-X.
I would appreciate it greatly if you will create a square variant. Minty-Freshner've tried and loved. If you let me give you some suggestions that I would like to include, based on my personal taste.

- Items less round.
- Variant dark for the panel.
- More attached the text of the menu bar, as in the Gtk theme Mint-X

These are by far, my only 3 suggestions .. Excellent work. I published an article on my blog (linuxmintlife) and has been referred Webup8.
Last edited by elav on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

got around to trying in today and i must say i love it - it even goes kind of well with the orta theme for chrome/chromium :)

The only thing I kind of dislike are the window controls - the close button is way too big for my taste and gives the whole setup a somewhat disharmonic feel.
But I find that the thome also goes well with the metacity theme I've been using so far :)
elav

Post by elav »

For some reason, the tabs are not the same in Firefox RC1 and Firefox 3.6.13. Attached is a sample image.
SkiesOfAzel

Post by SkiesOfAzel »

I've updated the git today, the debian files should now produce a package that doesn't replace mint-x. As for the changelog :

* Gdm improvements
* Panel handles are now invisible when the panel isn't expanded
* New treeview highlight
* New iconview highlight
* New expanders
* Gimp improvements
* Inkscape improvements
* New check and radio box buttons
* Some notebook fixes for non gtk applications
* Nautilus Elementary support

and some other things i probably forgot ;). Please tell me what you think of the new stuff, especially the treeview and the check/radion boxes. In order to check the new gdm out, open a terminal and :

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /usr/share/gdm/greeter-config/20_debian
make the line :

/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme		Mint-X
look like this instead :

/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme		Minty-Freshness
save and exit gedit and do a :

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
now logout and here is the new gdm :). A restart will set Mint-X back as the default gdm theme btw.

Now to answer some questions :
elav wrote: I would appreciate it greatly if you will create a square variant. Minty-Freshner've tried and loved. If you let me give you some suggestions that I would like to include, based on my personal taste.

- Items less round.
- Variant dark for the panel.
I will create a square variant when/if Minty-Freshness is ready and a part of LMDE. About a dark panel variant, would you also like dark menus? Dark menus will create some (more :P) problems with some non gtk applications (mainly java swing but not only).
elav wrote: - More attached the text of the menu bar, as in the Gtk theme Mint-X
Sorry, i don't get what you are trying to say, do you perhaps prefer the use of a smaller size for the font in menubars ?
elav wrote: For some reason, the tabs are not the same in Firefox RC1 and Firefox 3.6.13. Attached is a sample image.
This is normal, the new firefox with the tabs on top doesn't follow the gtk theme, it uses its own set of tabs. You can temporarily solve this by using a persona, but the FF devs plan to fix this shortly anyway.
gotjazz wrote:got around to trying in today and i must say i love it - it even goes kind of well with the orta theme for chrome/chromium :)

The only thing I kind of dislike are the window controls - the close button is way too big for my taste and gives the whole setup a somewhat disharmonic feel.
But I find that the thome also goes well with the metacity theme I've been using so far :)
I am glad you like the theme. As for the decorator, most seem to love the fact that it's asymmetrical, still, if i get more complaints i will reconsider ;).
elav

Post by elav »

SkiesOfAzel wrote:I've updated the git today, the debian files should now produce a package that doesn't replace mint-x. As for the changelog :

* Gdm improvements
* Panel handles are now invisible when the panel isn't expanded
* New treeview highlight
* New iconview highlight
* New expanders
* Gimp improvements
* Inkscape improvements
* New check and radio box buttons
* Some notebook fixes for non gtk applications
* Nautilus Elementary support
Cool. I tried the GDM theme and works very well.
SkiesOfAzel wrote:I will create a square variant when/if Minty-Freshness is ready and a part of LMDE. About a dark panel variant, would you also like dark menus? Dark menus will create some (more :P) problems with some non gtk applications (mainly java swing but not only).
The menu does not have to be dark, only the panel and its applets. I do not think there need to stop a dark variant 2 or 3 applications. But hey, you are the artist and you decide.
SkiesOfAzel wrote:Sorry, i don't get what you are trying to say, do you perhaps prefer the use of a smaller size for the font in menubars ?
Sorry, is that the translator apparently does not translate what I want. If you use mintMenu no problem, but if you use the menu bar, you can see that the text Applications, Places and System, is well separated from each other. My suggestion is to attach a bit more to save panel space.

However, once again, excellent work ..

Edit: Here I show you an example of what I mean about the menu. The menu above is Minty-Freshner, the bottom one is Mint-X. Look at the distance between each menu.
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

@SkiesOfAzel: There's a problem when trying to make the panel transparent. It's just making parts of it to transparent.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

elav wrote:Edit: Here I show you an example of what I mean about the menu. The menu above is Minty-Freshner, the bottom one is Mint-X. Look at the distance between each menu.
To be honest I actually prefer minty-freshness here. And the cool "borders" around the clicked items do need the space :mrgreen:
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

Minor issue I noticed, although I don't know if it's a theme or an engine problem. The integration of vlc (qt apps in general?) seems to be not quite as ideal as in some other themes.
Here's a screenshot:
SkiesOfAzel

Post by SkiesOfAzel »

Well, i updated the theme once more. Changelog :

* Panel improvements
* Addition of a dark panel (replace 'include "Styles/panel.rc"' with 'include "Styles/panel-dark.rc"' in the gtkrc)
* Nautilus elementary mode button redesigned
* GtkScale slider is now round with all versions of murrine
* Banshee toolbar fixes for newer versions (1.8 >=)
* Banshee and synaptic button fixes now work for newer versions
* GtkComboEntry no longer renders a grey line in the right side in non gtk applications
* Scrollbars now have up and down arrows on non gtk applications
* New style for statusbar on non gtk applications

I mainly tried to improve qt and generally non gtk applications. As you can see, most qt apps look great if i may say so myself :). Firefox also looks good, thunderbird is ok and openoffice ugly as usual :

@Elav your dark panel is here, edit the gtkrc as per instructions to use it.

@Pappfer a panel that uses a background image can't become fully transparent, sorry. It's a known problem with gnome-panel.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

It's getting better and better with each update :)
Atm can't honestly find nothing wrong in it 8)
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

Awesome! :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE Archive”