LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Post by deep64blue »

I love LMDE - thanks for all the work, here's one vote for changing the name to Mint Debian or something that's quite distinct.
t3g

Post by t3g »

Someone else brought up the option earlier of offering two ISOs per respin: One based off of Testing and another based off of the last Stable release. I think by default you would offer the testing one as your main download, but also have one with a locked down and stable Debian release (like Squeeze with -squeeze in the file name) with the same Linux Mint addons.

This brings into play something I brought up earlier in a previous post where an admin may want to install LMDE on a handful of work computers and keep them locked into the stable release. This would make administration easier for not only having stable files that are tested and proven, but also easier to find issues when everyone has the same setup. A rolling (testing) release could cause some headaches if one person's computer had certain updates while another didn't.
runbei

Post by runbei »

No complaints really, but...

1. Make it possible to easily change the resolution of the login screen. At present, it's something quite ugly like 800x600 (?) on my 22" monitor (standard resolution 1680x1050).

2. LMDE and other Debian-derived distros don't implement Sleep mode in some ThinkPads - namely my X32. Is this fixable? It works fine with OpenSUSE and the RedHat-recompiled Scientific Linux.

That's about it, though. I'm tracking the Stable repos for max stability and LMDE is filling that bill admirably - these two minor glitches are a small price to pay.
thermodynamics4

Post by thermodynamics4 »

iKey!

Can you tell Us about the process of the new Debian/mint Edition? The one with Flux-box, or the main Debian one? Do you have a schedule of features to tackle? At least but not last, Thanks for all your hard work and this Fine Release. :mrgreen:
shimazaki

Post by shimazaki »

Question here.

Are this changes going to be released in mint update to?, or do we have to reinstal this new respin from scratch?.

If LMDE is a rolling release, i might hope those changes are included in the mint update too.

You see, i installed LMDE because i was tired of reinstaling every new version of Mint OS like is obligated to do in the main distro (using mint since the 8th release until Mint 10 julia, now i'm on LMDE). and with LMDE as a rolling release, i thaught that the "rolling" part implicate that i don't have to reinstal from scratch every new version, so...........what will hapend with the new changes into the kernel itself...............

Is just what i ask, is not like i'm demanding something, i just want to know the current state of what "rolling" release really mean in LMDE.
Last edited by shimazaki on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elav

Post by elav »

I would like that, apart from a nice and easy installer, the new compilation of LMDE have the option to install without having to access the desktop of the LiveCD.

That's the only reason, which can not be installed on machines LMDE with 256 Mb of RAM. If existing the possibility to install with no graphical environment, such as Debian, everything would be easier. There would be problems with ACPI, HAL, udev or whatever.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

Thunderbird add-ons: The integrated addon search only seems to come up with 32-bit xpi's. Upstream packages (enigmail, iceowl) install to Icedove.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

If, and when you decide to port MintUpdate to LMDE would be nice to have deb-delta enabled in the backend;
Bellow we can see yum with deltarpms and in this particular case saved me 77% download size :) not bad

Code: Select all

(30/30): thai-scalable-waree-fonts-0.4.14-2.fc15_0.4.15-1.fc16.noarch.drpm                                                                                                         | 9.5 kB     00:00     
Finishing rebuild of rpms, from deltarpms
<delta rebuild>                                                                                                                                                                    |  25 MB     00:17     
Presto reduced the update size by 77% (from 25 M to 5.8 M).
Package(s) data still to download: 7.0 M
(1/15): bash-4.2.8-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm                                                                                                                                               | 978 kB     00:02     
(2/15): cronie-1.4.7-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm                                                                                                                                             |  75 kB     00:00     
raforon

Post by raforon »

First of all congratulations and thank you for such a great distro and the great work done by you people.

There is a few things that I would like added to LMDE
1. option not to install language packs
2. virtual box installed by default or the option to install it and the time of main install. I know it is easy enough to install but upgarding it should be automatic, so tha there is no nag message that there is a new version available.
raforon

Post by raforon »

Also the mint back up tool should have the option on snapshots, incremental backups. It would be great if it could automatically add entry to the crontab, like backintime.
raforon

Post by raforon »

Something similar to sandboxie for windows please!
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

I dont know for sure but i read something on Twitter that Ikey is not working for Mint any more, and is working freelance now.
Maybe Clem or Ikey can tell uss i'm wrong, and i hope i'm wrong on this one.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I believe that's correct. His forum account no longer exists after all.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Wait didn't Clem announced Ikey will work full time last February? what happened in a months time? Was there a conflict? Oh well as long as Clem release XFCE Debian mint, I am all smiles
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 »

randomizer wrote:I believe that's correct. His forum account no longer exists after all.
I'd like to know what happened as well.
Don't want to see LMDE going to a dead end... :(
Sergio
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

ikey's cousin posted today under the username of m.keane He will be taking up maintenance of some of ikey's software.

LMDE should stay current as long as you do your system updates. I would recommend making a partition image before doing anything which could break your system. After all, you do not want to reinstall from the 201101 LMDE image and then do all of the updates since then at one time.
t3g

Post by t3g »

aljoriz wrote:Wait didn't Clem announced Ikey will work full time last February? what happened in a months time? Was there a conflict? Oh well as long as Clem release XFCE Debian mint, I am all smiles
Probably clashing egos. This isn't the first time the Mint team has taken a backwards step due to Clem's management style and personality. I remember Clem getting in trouble for being anti-Semitic and his "Supporters of Israel aren't welcome" comments a few years ago.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Shall we go ontopic again.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

We could go ontopic again but you have to ask yourself who started to go offtopic in the first place...... :wink:
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

allow me to veer off for a while:

Fact: In the blog CLEM announced that Ikey will go full time on Linux Mint and will be paid for his services.

(and yes I was fortunate enough to read Clem's controversial post)
Am I right to assume that if Ikey went away from linux mint, we the community deserve to know what happened? :?:

To go back on topic here's my wish:

1. Support the touch pad for laptops (have a separate settings and auto detect settings if LMDE is installed in a laptop)
2. I hope the Mint team can reach out to hardware manufacturers and make their own Linux Mint Laptop (if Jolicloud did it why can't mint?)

Return to “LMDE Archive”