Theming brainstorm for LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
elav

Re: Theming brainstorm for LMDE

Post by elav »

SkiesOfAzel wrote:Well, i updated the theme once more. Changelog :

* Panel improvements
* Addition of a dark panel (replace 'include "Styles/panel.rc"' with 'include "Styles/panel-dark.rc"' in the gtkrc)
* Nautilus elementary mode button redesigned
* GtkScale slider is now round with all versions of murrine
* Banshee toolbar fixes for newer versions (1.8 >=)
* Banshee and synaptic button fixes now work for newer versions
* GtkComboEntry no longer renders a grey line in the right side in non gtk applications
* Scrollbars now have up and down arrows on non gtk applications
* New style for statusbar on non gtk applications

I mainly tried to improve qt and generally non gtk applications. As you can see, most qt apps look great if i may say so myself :). Firefox also looks good, thunderbird is ok and openoffice ugly as usual :

@Elav your dark panel is here, edit the gtkrc as per instructions to use it.

@Pappfer a panel that uses a background image can't become fully transparent, sorry. It's a known problem with gnome-panel.
Awesome!!! That's what I meant, with a dark panel. Here I give you as Minty-Freshner is on my PC. Thanks SkiesOfAzel :wink:

See more..

Edit: So far everything works perfect in all the applications I use, except with Guaka. So you see the tabs.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

I know I'm the one who haggles the most here so please don't take it as criticism but just as highly subjective feedback.

But: Am I the only one who thinks that the slider for mediaplayers and volume controls etc is a bit huge?
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

SkiesOfAzel wrote:@Pappfer a panel that uses a background image can't become fully transparent, sorry. It's a known problem with gnome-panel.
Oh, I see, thank you!

Also thank you for this great theme, now this is my default. ;)
elav

Post by elav »

Hey SkiesOfAzel . I continue to make suggestions (I hope you do not mind). :?

- I think they should create a thread only to discuss Minty Freshness.

Now, as the gtk theme as such, I have marked with numbers my suggestions to be understood.

1 - I think these buttons should be slightly larger. But only a little more. No more.

2 - If you could reduce the slider button 1px, was great. No more than 1px.

3 - I think the tabs to the right and left, should be attached as the tabs at the top and bottom.

I think by now these are my suggestions. You have done an excellent job..
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

The thread is called "Theming brainstorm for LMDE" and it looks like that is what is going on here....I don't see a need for a separate thread
elav

Post by elav »

Oscar799 wrote:The thread is called "Theming brainstorm for LMDE" and it looks like that is what is going on here....I don't see a need for a separate thread
Ok. :|
SkiesOfAzel

Post by SkiesOfAzel »

zerozero wrote:It's getting better and better with each update :)
Atm can't honestly find nothing wrong in it 8)
I can, so i've been working on some interesting changes, tomorrow you will know what i mean ;).
elav wrote:Edit: So far everything works perfect in all the applications I use, except with Guaka. So you see the tabs.
As i've said already, tomorrow can't come soon enough :P
gotjazz wrote:I know I'm the one who haggles the most here so please don't take it as criticism but just as highly subjective feedback.

But: Am I the only one who thinks that the slider for mediaplayers and volume controls etc is a bit huge?
Apparently not, so i will make it smaller for the next update.
elav wrote: 1 - I think these buttons should be slightly larger. But only a little more. No more.

2 - If you could reduce the slider button 1px, was great. No more than 1px.

3 - I think the tabs to the right and left, should be attached as the tabs at the top and bottom.

I think by now these are my suggestions. You have done an excellent job..
1 - Changing the size of the buttons has some bad side effects in some applications so it's not a priority, but i will look into it.

2 - I could reduce it by 1 px but it won't look good (there must be symmetric with the trough) so i've reduced it by 2 px.

3 - That can't be done without the use of some dirty tricks i'd rather not include in there.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

8) looking forward as always to be amazed :lol:
elav

Post by elav »

We can only hope for tomorrow :D
kvv

Post by kvv »

elav wrote: Image
That's another great wallpaper! :)
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

kvv wrote:
I like that, it kinda retro without being tacky. Well actually tacky in a good way.

Wish i could do this sort of thing to make a theme look like 60's trailers and motorhomes!
elav

Post by elav »

kvv wrote:
I have it in 3 different colors: Blue, green and orange.

http://files.myopera.com/elavdeveloper/ ... orange.png
http://files.myopera.com/elavdeveloper/ ... 2/lmde.png
http://files.myopera.com/elavdeveloper/ ... _green.png
SkiesOfAzel

Post by SkiesOfAzel »

Minty Freshness has been bumped to version 0.85, as usual, you can get it here :
git@github.com:SkiesOfAzel/mint-x-theme.git

Changelog :

* New menu, menu items and panel menu items
* Scrollbars are now 1 px thinner
* Open/Libre Office scrollbars improved
* Gtk application scrollbars now have steppers. In order to revert to the old scrollbars without them, just comment out the line 'include "Styles/scrollbar-with-steppers.rc"' in the gtkrc file
* Every arrow in the theme is now redisigned in order to ensure that all of them share the same width/length ratio
* Arrows on buttons are now rendered correctly on non gtk applications
* List and iconview colors tweaked to match the new menus
* Shadow tweaks
* Guake buttons fixed
* Ubuntu tweak treeview fixed
* Window selector panel applet is now rendered correctly
* The handle on the synaptic, inkscape and twf toolbar is now rendered correctly
* The dark panel is now default
* Emerald decorator added

Have fun !
elav

Post by elav »

SkiesOfAzel wrote:Minty Freshness has been bumped to version 0.85, as usual, you can get it here :
git@github.com:SkiesOfAzel/mint-x-theme.git

Changelog :

* New menu, menu items and panel menu items
* Scrollbars are now 1 px thinner
* Open/Libre Office scrollbars improved
* Gtk application scrollbars now have steppers. In order to revert to the old scrollbars without them, just comment out the line 'include "Styles/scrollbar-with-steppers.rc"' in the gtkrc file
* Every arrow in the theme is now redisigned in order to ensure that all of them share the same width/length ratio
* Arrows on buttons are now rendered correctly on non gtk applications
* List and iconview colors tweaked to match the new menus
* Shadow tweaks
* Guake buttons fixed
* Ubuntu tweak treeview fixed
* Window selector panel applet is now rendered correctly
* The handle on the synaptic, inkscape and twf toolbar is now rendered correctly
* The dark panel is now default
* Emerald decorator added

Have fun !
I was waiting like a good thing lol. Right now I download the new theme .. By the way, I'm not very good with git How do I update each time you add a change?

Edit: Perfect. I've loved the changes. The new menu is excellent and the panel by default dark is certainly an excellent choice.Great job!
SkiesOfAzel

Post by SkiesOfAzel »

elav wrote:I was waiting like a good thing lol. Right now I download the new theme .. By the way, I'm not very good with git How do I update each time you add a change?
Well, the best way is to build the deb and install it. If you want to do it manually, delete the old theme from wherever you have installed and copy the new one. If you also use emerald, goto usr/share/emerald inside the root dir of the Minty Freshness git, and copy the themes file to ~/.emerald/ or usr/share/emerald for all users.
elav

Post by elav »

I must say that it is my Minty Freshness-default Gtk theme and will remain so. With each update the subject greatly improves. I hope that developers will no doubt include in LMDE X3.
kvv

Post by kvv »

SkiesOfAzel wrote: * The dark panel is now default
Sorry to whine, but I really don't like this (and dark panels in general). Is there anyway I can change this? :(

If there is no simple way to do so, it's okay. I could get used to it.
SkiesOfAzel

Post by SkiesOfAzel »

kvv wrote:
SkiesOfAzel wrote: * The dark panel is now default
Sorry to whine, but I really don't like this (and dark panels in general). Is there anyway I can change this? :(

If there is no simple way to do so, it's okay. I could get used to it.
Sure there is, open the gtkrc file of the theme in gedit. If you installed the theme for all users :

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Minty-Freshness/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
or if you installed it locally :

gedit ~/.themes/Minty-Freshness/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
search for the line :

include "Styles/panel-dark.rc"
and replace it with :

include "Styles/panel.rc"
save the file and reload the theme.
m.keane

Post by m.keane »

SkiesOfAzel: Highly impressive work :D
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Is there something new what you can let us see already again?? or what you can tel us?

Return to “LMDE Archive”