[solved]can someone make...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ds2992

[solved]can someone make...

Post by ds2992 »

what i would like, as i am new at this linux and my mind has been stolen by windows vista, is a basic tutorial project to teach how to download a package, compile and install a package from source, where i should install the package and how to run the new package. all from the command line as the CL is the uber tool of linux.
Now this is not a demand or a sly way for someone to do something for me, and i understand linux is free and most everyone who is involved with linux do this for free. If it never happened i wouldn't get angry or anything like that. It just happens that most people i know are hands on and a lot of help i see assumes the person seeking it knows something about linux. if someone could make a step by step tutorial involving a package like maybe http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 59553.html
I would find this extremely helpful and i believe others would as well.
If there is a teaching program that involves user interaction already out there i haven't found it.
and as always thank you for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tatsujin79

Re: can someone make...

Post by tatsujin79 »

It may not be necessary to compile anything, the first thing you need to do is check synaptic to see if its already in the repository

Most software that you will download and need to compile should have fairly simple instructions on how to get it done. Basically just make sure you have the build-essentials package installed plus the -dev versions of the packages the software is requiring, so if it requires libsdl for example make sure you have libsdl-dev installed,

here is a link to an ubuntu wiki article about compiling. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo which helped me out alot. The only thing different about that and mint is in mint i'm not so sure checkinstall is necessary.

If cli companion is the only thing you need then you can install it like this, assuming you use mint 9-10 and not LMDE

open up your terminal and type in

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:clicompanion-devs/clicompanion-nightlies
when that is done then type in

sudo apt-get update
once that is done then lastly

sudo apt-get install clicompanion

type in your password and thats it.

Alternately you can download the deb here http://launchpad.net/clicompanion/1.0/1 ... -2_all.deb just double click to install.

Hope that helps, happy compiling.
Last edited by tatsujin79 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colyn

Post by colyn »

If you know the software you want it is better to check in synaptic to see if it is there first. menu-applications-system-package manager. Open and enter the name in the search box.

Go here for documentation on Linux Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
ds2992

Post by ds2992 »

i am curious how you found that particular repositories ppa. i know a little about ppa's and adding them the list of trusted repositories not much but a little and could not find that one. is there an easy way to find ppa's?
thank you for replying to my post and the link to compiling in the ubuntu forums.
colyn

Post by colyn »

ds2992 wrote:i am curious how you found that particular repositories ppa. i know a little about ppa's and adding them the list of trusted repositories not much but a little and could not find that one. is there an easy way to find ppa's?
thank you for replying to my post and the link to compiling in the ubuntu forums.
It is enabled by default in Mint 10. Go to menu-applications-system-package manager. Open package manager and click settings-repositories-other software and look for it in the list. If it is not checked check it close and reload..
linXea

Post by linXea »

When you're dealing with tarballs containing source code you need to be cautious. There are a lot of different ways to install from source, depending on how the application is packaged and what language it is written in.
Normally you would need to configure, make, make install. The good thing about tarballs is that any trustworthy tarball will contain instructions on how to compile and install it. :mrgreen:
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

ds2992,

The easiest way to find .deb packages and/or repositories and PPAs is to use Google, Yahoo, Bing or some other search engine. Just enter the name of the app you are looking for or the category of application if you do not know the name of a specific app.

Return to “Beginner Questions”