Mark Shuttleworth, the idiot of the century

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
swappa

Re: Mark Shuttleworth, the idiot of the century

Post by swappa »

I think we need to admire the fact that Mr Shuttleworth is indeed trying to do something....trying to define the route, take the lead, whatever....I think it is great that he's innovative brain is thinking outside the box a little...yes, it could very well be a mistake, but then again - who knows? When failing, do it properly. Use Gnome3 then.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

swappa wrote:I think we need to admire the fact that Mr Shuttleworth is indeed trying to do something....trying to define the route, take the lead, whatever....I think it is great that he's innovative brain is thinking outside the box a little...yes, it could very well be a mistake, but then again - who knows? When failing, do it properly. Use Gnome3 then.
I agree. Shuttleworth/Ubuntu/Canonical, always doing something different, always trying something that so many other people in the Linux world think is "wrong." Most of the times, they end up being good ideas, seems to me. At least they have the guts to try different things.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

swappa wrote:I think we need to admire the fact that Mr Shuttleworth is indeed trying to do something....trying to define the route, take the lead, whatever....I think it is great that he's innovative brain is thinking outside the box a little...yes, it could very well be a mistake, but then again - who knows? When failing, do it properly. Use Gnome3 then.
:shock: Oh my God! - 1000 OK, if you love so much Dictator Mark, why do you not use HIS distro, a.k.a. Ubuntu, instead a distro just based on it and which modify it somewhat, a.k.a. Mint?

Oh and GNOME 3? No thanks. No GNOME 3, KDE 4 or Unity for me. Sorry. :wink:
bitmason wrote:the more users involved, the more bugs and errors pop up. the more bugs and errors pop up, the more reports are generated and sent. The more reports are sent, the quicker developers can sort out these issues.
I see that my sentence in my previous post has generated a reaction. :D Good. OK, let's add a little oil on the fire. :lol:

You really think what you wrote? Personally, I'm not so sure. For instance, many users who are "attracted" are non -technical people, "silly" users (no offense, it's just a figure of speech to make me understand) and even many if not the totality of these users *never* or practically never send some reports, even in Windows. And these users are not really "trusted" users and even they are often not capable really testing an app, a system...
bitmason wrote:Comparing the development of the Linux desktop to the development of other operating systems is like comparing apples to carrots - They are two very different things. Linux is Much more than the desktop.
Hey dude, here the question IS the desktop, and the desktop is the desktop, regardless of the OS. The rest is another question...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

linuxviolin wrote:OK, if you love so much Dictator Mark, why do you not use HIS distro, a.k.a. Ubuntu, instead a distro just based on it and which modify it somewhat, a.k.a. Mint?
But couldn't one turn that question around? If you dislike Shuttleworth so much, why do you use Mint, a distro based on Shuttleworth's Ubuntu? Why do you even post at the Mint forums? Why not just use Debian or some other distro?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:But couldn't one turn that question around? If you dislike Shuttleworth so much, why do you use Mint, a distro based on Shuttleworth's Ubuntu? Why do you even post at the Mint forums? Why not just use Debian or some other distro?
:lol: Yes, you could. :wink: And of course I could answer. But this could look like something like a trick to avoid answering, you don't think so? :P
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Love your sense of humor, linuxviolin! :lol: Okay.
growled

Post by growled »

Even if it's a bad idea it's not the end of the world. I assume there will probably be a way to switch this and assuming there isn't, I can always use another DE.

I am not a fan of Shuttleworth but he is not an idiot.
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

I actually think its an interesting idea having the scroll bars that way. They do constantly take up room and especially since I have a scroll mouse I don't waste time going over to the scroll bar, I use the scroll on the mouse. I do disagree with the one-line scroll, but hopefully that functionality is preserved in the arrow keys which are much easier to use than trying to click a tiny arrow on a scroll bar.
I'm in favor of changes that keep function but give you more screen space.
I do happen to disagree with the Unity direction, but the only way to achieve advances in tech is by trying new ways to do things, some will work, some won't.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

The only idiocy in humankind history is to comments and complaining and whining on some other people's work in the hope that it will change and the changes will satisfy them instead of to give something and change something themselves. Ironically, we as human won't be satisfied over anything. Nothing will satisfy us isn't it? And these statements is in general, no finger pointed to anyone except to myself as i always distro-hopping for the past few years. Why so care on who is mark, what he's done and what he will do? For me, just use it, enjoy it, share it, improve it and show some respect to the others. Happy minting.. :)
tatsujin79

Post by tatsujin79 »

I don't really think what canonical is doing is a particularly good or bad idea. Its interesting, its different to be sure, something I myself wouldn't mind trying out. The only thing i keep thinking is that perhaps it would make more sense to develop their own DE rather than change gnome to something totally un-recongnizable (speaking of unity, natty et al).
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Yes but adaptation of existing works is at the very heart of FOSS. If developers had to reinvent instead of adapt Linux would be a much small and fragmented effort. IMHO
tatsujin79

Post by tatsujin79 »

i never said my idea was any good either lol. But yea you can't really fault mark shuttleworth for doing what he is doing. You can look at it simply as trying something different.
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

I take my hat off to ALL of the developers from Linus Torvalds through Clem Lefebvre and those to follow who have given us a great alternative to those other money grubbing corporate OSs. Even if Mark does march to a different drum we could not have Mint the way it is, I mean no disrespect to Clem and his crew IMHO, but without Ubuntu as a start it may have taken a lot more time to achieve the product that a lot of us use today in MINT :) I feel that if Mark wishes to try something else with Ubuntu then so be it, after all is this not what being open source is all about? You can always fork out and make your own distro if you don't like what is offered. That is my two cents anyway. :idea:
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

MALsPa wrote:Both Shuttleworth and Jobs seem to be quite successful, then you've got these "experts" sitting at home calling them "idiots." Quite humorous.

What exactly is Shuttleworth "successful" at again? Jobs is making a bucketload of cash with his OS, Shuttleworth has yet to do so with "his".
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
tatsujin79

Post by tatsujin79 »

Midnighter wrote:
MALsPa wrote:Both Shuttleworth and Jobs seem to be quite successful, then you've got these "experts" sitting at home calling them "idiots." Quite humorous.

What exactly is Shuttleworth "successful" at again? Jobs is making a bucketload of cash with his OS, Shuttleworth has yet to do so with "his".

He and canonical as a whole have been extremely successful in getting the name 'ubuntu' and 'linux' into more people's ears then ever before really. If it wasn't for this fact then linux mint more then likely would never exist. In turn if it weren't for debian then ubuntu would probably never exist. One's success needs not be based solely upon the monetary value or net worth, but by the results that are achieved.

Return to “Open Chat”